Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

speed limiters cameras speed limits patrick mcloughlin

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

View Postodas, on 03 September 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

Speed limits should be respected. However, I myself have noticed a negative occurence by having low speed limits. I lived in Germany for over 20 years. I spent roughly 5k untill I got my licence. Extensive training, both classroom and road. I drove reguraly over 180 kmh. Never had an accident.
Now, in Canada, the speed limit is 100 kmh. I noticed that my reflexes are much slower. Not because of the age but because of the slow speed. It gets boring and I start daydreaming. By faster speeds I am focused.

View Postspud the mackem, on 03 September 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

The Autobahns in Germany are much better than the Motorways in Britain,you could not do 180 kmh in Britain due to road congestion,unless its around midnight then you have to contend with overnight transport.I don't know about Canada.

Once you get out of the Cities here,there is plenty of room,compared to the UK it is heaven.The speed limits are a little low though.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#47    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

The Autobahns in Germany are much better than the Motorways in Britain,you could not do 180 kmh in Britain due to road congestion,unless its around midnight then you have to contend with overnight transport.I don't know about Canada.
No, highways in Canada are not designed for speed but neithet are training. You can get a license for about $300. There are schools and they charge abot $600 to $800 but most take a few private classes and almost no real defensive driving or common sense training. Mom and Dad teach, haha.
In Germany I could not get near a Car before I pass all training classes and the test, which was back then about 60 questions and you were allowed to have three mistakes the most.
All can take about 6 months until you get a license. Also, if you do not pass your driving test the third time you had to wait a few years and start again from the begining.
If things have changed now I dont know.
But, most europeans are better drivers then canadians. It is not the people but the lack of proppet training. Thats all.

#48    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 03 September 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Once you get out of the Cities here,there is plenty of room,compared to the UK it is heaven.The speed limits are a little low though.
Yes, there is lots of room, I agree. Yet we still somehow manage to have thousands of fatalities each year.

#49    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,285 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

View Postodas, on 03 September 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Yes, there is lots of room, I agree. Yet we still somehow manage to have thousands of fatalities each year.

If you look at the general state of a German car and a car everywhere else you will easily understand that. The German inspections are aimed at cars going at high speed, therefore the tolerances are pretty thin. As little as a cracked window can get your car out of traffic.

And the there is that nobody really believes that 100 clicks is dangerous, so they spend their time picking their noses, ears and changing music media instead of watching the road.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#50    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

This is a terrible idea. It's like the concept of self-driving cars: sure, we can take the control out of the hands of the driver, but that also takes the liability out of the hands of the driver. So in the event of an accident, who's to blame? The ministry for installing mandatory computer controlled brake actuators? Google for engineering the cars? It certainly can't be the driver any more because they didn't have control over it...

I just can't see any of these things becoming reality because no corporation/government is going to want to get their hands dirty.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#51    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,419 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Depends what you class as better and for what.  

The source claimed one of the reasons he was against the Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) scheme is that the UK has a better road safety record than other European countries – with 1,754 people dying in road accidents last year compared to 3,657 in Germany.

Seems although the mighty Germans have 'better' less congested roads, it is not exactly saving lives.

Posted Image

#52    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

View Postskookum, on 03 September 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Depends what you class as better and for what.  

Seems although the mighty Germans have 'better' less congested roads, it is not exactly saving lives.
Yes. But one has to take in account that Germany is also a drive thru country whereby the UK is not.  
Also, most if those accidents are caused by returning vacation drivers who drive non stop back from other countries tired just to be on time for work. I remember my dad driving like that. Speed surely is a factor but driving without propper rest is the main contributor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users