Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 5 votes

Look Mama, no diamond saw

ancient workmethods

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

#646    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

3rd dynasty Granite vase in Cairo museum

Posted Image

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#647    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

4 dynasty drill hole, ofcourse granite.

Posted Image

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#648    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,273 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postthe L, on 29 June 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

4 dynasty drill hole, ofcourse granite.

Posted Image

Ehm, yes. So your point is that they could not make it or something?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#649    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 June 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

Ehm, yes. So your point is that they could not make it or something?

Or something. :yes:

For your stance and point of view they couldnt done vase in 646 post.

Edited by the L, 29 June 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#650    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,273 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postthe L, on 29 June 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Or something. :yes:

For your stance and point of view they couldnt done vase in 646 post.

Where you ignored Swedes post by your traditional method...  now that you say it, yes I remember

And the core above shows exactly what we have been telling you all the time: it was done wit a tube and abrasives, similar methods are still used today if you want to drill something really hard...like carborundum or diamond.

But feel free to put your fingers back in your ears.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#651    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

I dont want to go in circle here. I can tell you same thing as I tell before about Swede post.
Also I would like to say something you like to say: "Repeating something want become reality." That goes to fingers in my ears.
My point here is that vases like I posted before and tri lobed vase were not uniqe art. And then raises questions why they didnt done them in middle or new kingdom with iron tools and so on.
Anyway my point is simple.

#652    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,519 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postthe L, on 29 June 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

I dont want to go in circle here. I can tell you same thing as I tell before about Swede post.
Also I would like to say something you like to say: "Repeating something want become reality." That goes to fingers in my ears.
My point here is that vases like I posted before and tri lobed vase were not uniqe art. And then raises questions why they didnt done them in middle or new kingdom with iron tools and so on.
Anyway my point is simple.

There were no iron tools in either the Middle or New Kingdoms, both of which were still in the Bronze Age (Middle to Late, respectively).

Just because you're not seeing pictures on the internet of granite drill cores and lobed vessels from the Middle Kingdom or New Kingdom, doesn't mean they weren't produced in those later times. To be sure, as beautiful as stoneware vessels were in the earlier periods, those produced in the later periods were more sophisticated and elegant. That's to be expected, of course.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#653    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 29 June 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

There were no iron tools in either the Middle or New Kingdoms, both of which were still in the Bronze Age (Middle to Late, respectively).

Just because you're not seeing pictures on the internet of granite drill cores and lobed vessels from the Middle Kingdom or New Kingdom, doesn't mean they weren't produced in those later times. To be sure, as beautiful as stoneware vessels were in the earlier periods, those produced in the later periods were more sophisticated and elegant. That's to be expected, of course.

From diorite and granite?

#654    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,519 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postthe L, on 29 June 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

From diorite and granite?

That and more, such as quartzite. Why would they stop using a stone their distant ancestors had used? They got only better at their techniques as time went on.

I'm also thinking of larger objects like statues and sarcophagi which were often carved from hard stones and beautifully embellished.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#655    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

Anyone remember the guys who escapes Alcatraz by using banjo string to cut through the iron bars set in the kitchen window?
It was a slow process, but they got out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#656    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 30 June 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Anyone remember the guys who escapes Alcatraz by using banjo string to cut through the iron bars set in the kitchen window?
It was a slow process, but they got out.

The "hardness" argument surely does not hols water because as everybody who has ever used a diamond saw knows that the saw wears down too, maybe much slower than the sandstone it cuts but sooner or later the diamonds will be used up.

Another good example is this diamond cutting machine:

Posted Image
Notice that the disk is made out of steel? According to the "copper can't cut .... (fill in as needed)" advocates that should not work either.... well ask the guys in the diamond district in Antwerp if it does not.

about me

#657    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 July 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

The "hardness" argument surely does not hols water because as everybody who has ever used a diamond saw knows that the saw wears down too, maybe much slower than the sandstone it cuts but sooner or later the diamonds will be used up.

Another good example is this diamond cutting machine:
Notice that the disk is made out of steel? According to the "copper can't cut .... (fill in as needed)" advocates that should not work either.... well ask the guys in the diamond district in Antwerp if it does not.
Regardless. the  grooves left in the finished work discount abrasives in favour of a single cutting point. I cant see how any logic can point to abrasives when grooves are left...lets get this straight...abrasives smoooooth,,,while a cutting tool will leave single lines or spiral grooves as evidence.....Its already been established that Egyptian sand does NOT leave the marks found in turnings or drill cores, so an alternate explanation is required..I cant see why you are pursuing this argument.

Edited to remove picture...

Edited by jules99, 01 July 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#658    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postjules99, on 01 July 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Regardless. the  grooves left in the finished work discount abrasives in favour of a single cutting point. I cant see how any logic can point to abrasives when grooves are left...lets get this straight...abrasives smoooooth,,,while a cutting tool will leave single lines or spiral grooves as evidence.....Its already been established that Egyptian sand does NOT leave the marks found in turnings or drill cores, so an alternate explanation is required..I cant see why you are pursuing this argument.

Edited to remove picture...

Abrasives are only smooth if the grains are uniform, else they cause grooves like anything else with an outstanding point.

about me

#659    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Abrasives are only smooth if the grains are uniform, else they cause grooves like anything else with an outstanding point.
Yes;
I would say have a closer look at the evidence but I suspect you will concoct any explanation to support the existence of uniform grooves as per uc. 15036 rather than a single cutting edge but see;

"Concentric cutting lines were also present after drilling with corнundum and diamond. Sand and crushed quartz must therefore be ruled out as possibilities, since they do not produce concentric abrasion lines. when used either dry or wet"

Maybe they used diamond after all?

#660    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postjules99, on 01 July 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Yes;
I would say have a closer look at the evidence but I suspect you will concoct any explanation to support the existence of uniform grooves as per uc. 15036 rather than a single cutting edge but see;

"Concentric cutting lines were also present after drilling with corнundum and diamond. Sand and crushed quartz must therefore be ruled out as possibilities, since they do not produce concentric abrasion lines. when used either dry or wet"

Maybe they used diamond after all?

most probably not, or if they did it was by accident because there are no diamonds to be found anywhere near Egypt, and the few specimens we know of were too valuable as talisman. But we are talking a time when trade had become more prevalent, like the New Kingdom.

Having said that, quartz (Mohs 7) was known to the ancient Egyptians from the old kingdom on... but then again it is quartz contained in desert sand that did most of the abrasive work.

Edited by questionmark, 01 July 2012 - 01:20 PM.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users