Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gaia Theory of Earth as Living Organism

Karlis

Sulfur Finding May Hold Key to Gaia Theory of Earth as Living Organism

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2012) — Is Earth really a sort of giant living organism as the Gaia hypothesis predicts? A new discovery made at the University of Maryland may provide a key to answering this question. This key of sulfur could allow scientists to unlock heretofore hidden interactions between ocean organisms, atmosphere, and land -- interactions that might provide evidence supporting this famous theory.

Read more: http://www.scienceda...e Science News)

• Like 4

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2012) — Is Earth really a sort of giant living organism as the Gaia hypothesis predicts? A new discovery made at the University of Maryland may provide a key to answering this question. This key of sulfur could allow scientists to unlock heretofore hidden interactions between ocean organisms, atmosphere, and land -- interactions that might provide evidence supporting this famous theory.

I've said this before, but I think I should respond to this post.

We live off the Earth, not vise versa. The rivers and oceans that nourish the land are essential to the Earth, just as the life-giving blood is vital to us as it flows throughout our veins. This planet has survived for a very long time and can outlast us, no matter how drastically we pollute, waste, and destroy. It is our children that will pay the price for our own ignorance.

Contrary to popular belief, mankind does not own Mother Earth, not the heights of the skies or the seas in their depths. Truth be known, just the opposite is a cold hard fact, regardless of any opposing opinion. She breathes life unto all who are born of this soil, gently holding each in the palm of her hand for a brief moment in time. She witnesses us come and then go like the wind, watching as our children take their turn and make their stand, the next generation destined to live and die in this great land.

The Native American cultures and others were right to believe that the astronomical bodies are alive and speak to us. The Earth lives, feels, breathes and consumes, every moment of every day. It identifies with life in ways we cannot comprehend and understands from experience what's in store for it, and us as well.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
We live off the Earth, not vise versa. The rivers and oceans that nourish the land are essential to the Earth, just as the life-giving blood is vital to us as it flows throughout our veins. This planet has survived for a very long time and can outlast us, no matter how drastically we pollute, waste, and destroy. It is our children that will pay the price for our own ignorance.

I know what you're saying here and I agree, but at the same time I question it.. not the meaning of how you probably wanted to put it, but I think earth could gain some sort, some form of nourishment from us too, even if it's not necessary for earth to sustain itself. Just like capsaisine of chili isn't necessary for us to sustain ourselves but could still be good for us as nutirtion, just a more physical example.

Lately I've been thinking of this topic, a planet being alive, it's very much related to astrology. I'll probably start another thread that discusses that link between what we know about astrology and it's relation to Gaia further, but just wanted to add here that yeah, you can derive a lot of support from astrology to the concept of planets other than earth being alive.. and if the other planets are alive, why not earth too? Very simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its hard to wrap your head around cause earth would be the bigfest******* living thing i ever heard of. Although earth does seem to do a great job of keeping herself in balance in the long run. Like how we are sort of causing global warming to increase which will eventually cause another ice age then earth will just reset its self. Let alone all the weird energies associated with earth and in relativity to the reset of the universe. Thats why ive always believed astronomical allognments are quite important. Infact i was born on a year with a 7 planetary allignment in our solar system.

Sounds logical to me but id like more scientific studies.

I certainly believe that the systems of the earth are all interconnected. The sun gives us energy, the moon controls the tides, the spinning of the earth causes the Coriolis Effect and makes currents, spinning earth and sun make weather. Weather makes lightning; lightning makes ozone that protects us from the sun. We exhale the gases plants need to survive and they do the same for us. Plants and fungi benefit one another. So do animals and plants. There are tens of thousands of examples of the interdependence of weather, water, plants, animals, minerals, humans, etc.

I do believe in the divine, but as something over and above the creation. I believe that we, as the dominant species, have an obligation to be good stewards of the earth, if not out of loyalty to God, then at least out of regard for our children and the plants and animals that must share the world with us. The problem I have is when we try to make of this some mystical religion. That the earth itself is alive, that it "feels" (whatever that means). Pandora this isn't.

• Like 1

The Global Brain:

Universe may grow like a giant brain, new research finds:

http://www.nbcnews.c...e/#.UV8GxDfDm0n

Edited by ChloeB
  • Like 1

I believe in a way, as the Native Americans do. This planet sustains us with her body. If she was not alive, none of us would be here.

• Like 5

Off topic:

Reminds me of Age of Empires because 'Gaia' was the code for God mode or something. Ahhh the memories!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are metabolic organisms living at least a mile below the earth's surface, so yeah, our Mother is a living thing.

• Like 2

I tend to believe that everything is part of an existence that is aware . Close your eyes and imagine a Universe .... there.. ya did it again!* lol

*sort of kidding with the second part*

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Contrary to popular belief, mankind does not own Mother Earth, not the heights of the skies or the seas in their depths. Truth be known, just the opposite is a cold hard fact, regardless of any opposing opinion. She breathes life unto all who are born of this soil, gently holding each in the palm of her hand for a brief moment in time. She witnesses us come and then go like the wind, watching as our children take their turn and make their stand, the next generation destined to live and die in this great land.

The Native American cultures and others were right to believe that the astronomical bodies are alive and speak to us. The Earth lives, feels, breathes and consumes, every moment of every day. It identifies with life in ways we cannot comprehend and understands from experience what's in store for it, and us as well.

You realize that Native Americans VASTLY altered and changed the Americas for centuries, if not 1000s of years before contact with the west, right? So that when westerners finally arrived, the Americas were nothing like their "wild" state... (its an aside but i am tired of hearing how "westerners" spoiled this "wild/untamed" land...when vast portions of the Americas (amazon, east coast, central plains, latin america, etc) were already altered and human-changed... but I digress).

• Like 1

You realize that Native Americans VASTLY altered and changed the Americas for centuries, if not 1000s of years before contact with the west, right? So that when westerners finally arrived, the Americas were nothing like their "wild" state... (its an aside but i am tired of hearing how "westerners" spoiled this "wild/untamed" land...when vast portions of the Americas (amazon, east coast, central plains, latin america, etc) were already altered and human-changed... but I digress).

It's true... But what you probably don't understand that NA had sustainability built into their spirituality and how this related to the land. This was born from thousands and thousands if years of costly mistakes. They way that they managed their resources became highly sustainable because it evolved that way. It was only those that adopted agriculture that forgot what their ancestors taught them. They built large societies and every single one of them FAILD.

if the earth is a living organism does that mean that the earth is a cell and that the galaxy is a organ and the universe is the body :cry:

• Like 1

Of course the Earth is a living organism, one would have to be blind not to see this fact, look at the other planets in our solar system. They are dead but the Earth has ‘life’ in every miniscule part. We should be looking after this beautiful planet, but we have been brain washed from birth into consumerism. We think more of the latest Apple product than the environment that sustains us, without which we will ALL die! How much longer will we carry on living this stupid materialistic lie, children dying of the most horrible illnesses at the rate of one every 3 seconds! War, homelessness and poverty everywhere, but hey the Dow Jones is doing ok so who cares. There is a great need for us as individuals and groups of likeminded people to come together to change the systems especially as we have a population of 7 billion and growing, the Earth/Ghia is being very badly damaged, when will we, wake from our materialistic dream and protect our world?

“What if… What if our religion was each other, if our practice was life, if prayer were our words? What if the temple was the Earth, if forests were our church, if holy waters – the rivers, lakes and Oceans. What if meditation was our relationships, if the teacher were life, if wisdom was self-knowledge and if LOVE was the centre of our being?” G. White

Don’t forget the ‘International day of Peace’ 21ST Sept 2013

• Like 2

Of course the Earth is a living organism, one would have to be blind not to see this fact, look at the other planets in our solar system. They are dead but the Earth has ‘life’ in every miniscule part.

I think that Titan is very alive.

• Like 1

Off topic:

Reminds me of Age of Empires because 'Gaia' was the code for God mode or something. Ahhh the memories!

Memories and nightmares. AoE was first game I played on PC and I remember looking at the peasant you had, surrounded by blackness, and I had no idea what to do. wololo.........

Well, what is valid for Earth is even much more valid for everything what exists, forming the "most true" and "most giant" organism that I call Allorganism.

Th earth is alive, it breaths valcanic out gasing. It repairs itself, weathering. And, if you believe the latest thoery on how got a moon, it reproduced itself. Plus it is sort of letting the moon live on its own. Ie the moon movesd about three inches further from the earth every year.

Th earth is alive, it breaths valcanic out gasing. It repairs itself, weathering. And, if you believe the latest thoery on how got a moon, it reproduced itself. Plus it is sort of letting the moon live on its own. Ie the moon movesd about three inches further from the earth every year.

Jupiter has over 60 moons, quite a bit compared to earth, and even Pluto, the 1000km diameter planet on the outskirts, less than fifth of earth's diameter, has five moons. I just find it interesting to think what kind of a mentality those who planets have compared to earth, maybe jehova witnesses heh. I guess that'd also make our sun our moon's grandparent.

• Like 1

Those other planets have moons, jupiter capturing most of them from the astriod belt. But the moon was created by an impact woth a mars sized planet. So yes the sun is a grandmother.

• Like 1

Gaia is true.

Destroying rainforest and making too much haze to pollute the air and neighbouring countries and Gaia Earth will sent tsunami to destroy you.. as in 2004.

if mother earth is alive then we are her parasites...XD

• Like 1

I've no doubt that the earth is its own entity. Of course, it is living. We see evidence of this everything. Grass growing, new plants springing from the earth. The earth is the only thing that is self-sustaining.

On a side note, there are photos of the human cell that is almost identical to the shape/colors of the solar system. We are part of the world around us. We survive because the earth allows it.

• Like 1