Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Vatican will have two Popes

benedict xvi pope emeritus vatican

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostOgbin, on 27 February 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

I feel as if the Vatican will most likley vote for the man who will fit the description of Peter the Roman. Maybe having this 2nd pope is what fullfulls the other part of the prophecy about Peter the Roman bringing about the destruction of the cathlic church and rome. I was listening to the news the other day and they stated that the Cathlic church was in turmoil. Maybe these two together try to fix it and fail horribly.

Just a thought.   :whistle:

Well given that none of the top choices are Romans they'd be hard pressed to find someone that fits. :P

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#32    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,812 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostOgbin, on 27 February 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

I feel as if the Vatican will most likley vote for the man who will fit the description of Peter the Roman. Maybe having this 2nd pope is what fullfulls the other part of the prophecy about Peter the Roman bringing about the destruction of the cathlic church and rome. I was listening to the news the other day and they stated that the Cathlic church was in turmoil. Maybe these two together try to fix it and fail horribly.

Just a thought.   :whistle:
So why would they specifically choose someone to fit that old fraud's prophecies? Surely they'd only do that if they wanted to see the destruction of the Church.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#33    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,882 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

So why would they specifically choose someone to fit that old fraud's prophecies? Surely they'd only do that if they wanted to see the destruction of the Church.

Because the publicity.
Limited offer only, be Catholic while you still can.
And when it turns out the limited offer is not limited yet, they can say it was because of the public demand: prayers saved the Church and overrode the prophecy.
Why not, what do we know about the mysterious ways.

Seriously now, having emeritus pope already disqualified the prophecies because no prophecy announced that novelty.

Not that I mind, why wouldn’t a pope withdraw if he feels it’s time to withdraw and why wouldn’t Catholics have their church in the future too.

There are scandals in which some careerists/perverts are involved, but there are also people who make the true Church. They showed great support for Benedict, and it was obviously taken into account when deciding on his future title and position.
I liked that.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#34    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 27 February 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Because the publicity.
And when it turns out the limited offer is not limited yet, they can say it was because of the public demand: prayers saved the Church and overrode the prophecy.

Seriously now, having emeritus pope already disqualified the prophecies because no prophecy announced that novelty.

Not that I mind, why wouldn’t a pope withdraw if he feels it’s time to withdraw and why wouldn’t Catholics have their church in the future too.

There are scandals in which some careerists/perverts are involved, but there are also people who make the true Church. They showed great support for Benedict, and it was obviously taken into account when deciding on his future title and position.
I liked that.

I am Roman Catholic Helen and I couldn't agee with you more. :tu:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#35    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

The present pope knew about the evil that has being going on for years and was part of the cover up. No small wonder that he decided to quit.

#36    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Today is the last day of Pope Benedict's reign and he leaves the Vatican with grace. I thought his resignation has to do with his health, but we don't know what really goes on behind the doors of the RCC with its numerous scandals with children and finances. The church is a center of secrecy (and conspiracy, namely the "Da Vinci Code" a work of fiction was based on the Knights Templar legend) of cover-ups shouldn't undermine its legitimacy, but its credibility is threatened. The Roman Catholic Church is liable to its own conduct while they preach spiritual guidance to the world's over a billion Catholics: two of them I know of is my father and my wife despite she hasn't been to that church in a long time.

The church will announce a new pope sometime, it will be interesting to witness (again in 8 years) the process of how a new pope is elected: the white smoke out of the one chimney where the votes are cast then burned to maintain anonymity. An American pope or from outside Europe (i.e. Africa or Asia) will be a historic grandeur. A new pope from a more conservative society/culture could impact how the RCC goes through reforms, comparably Latin America vs. Europe where the church's power has declined over the decades this century.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#37    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,812 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

How much time is there customarily between one Pope, er, departing, and the new one being chosen? I'm rather surprised that they don't have it arranged all ready for the new one to take over immediately. I know they didn't have a great deal of time to get things organised, but you might have thought that they'd have a successor lined up ready to take over, wouldn't you. And who will take charge in the meantime? Will they have a temporary stand-in? Maybe they ought to have a Vice-Pope, perhaps, to take over temporarily, at least. Although perhaps that might be open to misinterpretation. :unsure2:

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 28 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,254 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think they are trying to stand by the tradition as much as they possibly can, and it is considered distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope until the previous Pope has left office.  (Just as it would be distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope if the previous Pope were dying but not yet dead).

#39    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,812 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 February 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

I think they are trying to stand by the tradition as much as they possibly can, and it is considered distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope until the previous Pope has left office.  (Just as it would be distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope if the previous Pope were dying but not yet dead).
Yes, but if they had a successor lined up ready, even before it was looking likely that there might be a vacancy before long, as a matter of course, (like how, theoretically at least, the Vice-President would step into the shoes of the President, or how there's always an heir to the British throne lined up), that wouldn't be distateful, would it, if that was what normally happened. Although I suppose it might be a bit much asking the vatican to break with two thousand years of tradition. :->

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#40    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,803 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 27 February 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Because the publicity.

I liked that.
Actually, the prophecy did speak of an "anti-pope" - would that be Benedict now that he has stated he is "anti" remaining Pope till his dying day? :whistle:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#41    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

He is gone! I see the false emperor leave the eternal city, the interregnum begins! Rejoice all you imps and elves and sprites and creatures of the meadows and forests and rivers and streams. Rejoice all who have had to live in the shadows these long years. May the undead dead breathe, may their names be spoken again, may their wrappings fall from them and their bodies returned to life. But time is short for a new anti-christ Pope will bring back the darkness too soon. Enjoy the breath of wind and splash of water, enjoy living in the Sun again. Do not be despondent when the darkness returns in a few weeks, for that evil empire has the smell of death about it. Our time will return, the old gods will return, Horus will return in glory!

#42    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,716 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 26 February 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Benedict XVI will continue to wear a white cassock and will be known as Pope Emeritus after he resigns the papacy on Thursday, the Vatican said.

The honorific title added further confusion to Benedict’s exact status after his historic resignation, muddying the lines between his papacy and that of his successor.

http://www.telegraph...-two-Popes.html

It won't actually.  Retired Bishps still retain their title, as well as retired abbots and abbesses, it is a common practice.  There is only one pope.

Peace
mark

#43    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,882 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 28 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Actually, the prophecy did speak of an "anti-pope" - would that be Benedict now that he has stated he is "anti" remaining Pope till his dying day? :whistle:

:D
Well, it’s open to interpretation, of course, but to me personally there’s nothing “antipapal” in withdrawal to life of non-public prayer.
An emeritus pope like an emeritus professor, they don’t stop being what they are, they simply don’t want to limit the flock (the pope) or students (the professor) to the slower pace old age inevitably brings.
I understand both John Paul II and Benedict XVI, they both faced health problems and while John Paul chose to bear that cross publicly, Benedict chose not to burden the public with that.
To be brutally honest, John Paul with his Parkinson and stuff was a bit tiresome, no offence to believers who appreciated his bravery.
Both decisions are completely justified by their faith, since there’s no shame in bearing your cross publicly but also withdrawing to bear it in privacy is very modest thing to do.
I also find both decisions inspiring, though I’m only Catholic sympathizer, lacking true faith and better wording :lol:  

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 28 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

He is gone! I see the false emperor leave the eternal city, the interregnum begins! Rejoice all you imps and elves and sprites and creatures of the meadows and forests and rivers and streams. Rejoice all who have had to live in the shadows these long years. May the undead dead breathe, may their names be spoken again, may their wrappings fall from them and their bodies returned to life. But time is short for a new anti-christ Pope will bring back the darkness too soon. Enjoy the breath of wind and splash of water, enjoy living in the Sun again. Do not be despondent when the darkness returns in a few weeks, for that evil empire has the smell of death about it. Our time will return, the old gods will return, Horus will return in glory!

To continue the rant from above, I’m sympathizing Catholics because I was brought up by Catholic grandmother who had not an ounce of malice in her mind.
When someone insults Catholics, they insult the kindness that made the good side of my rather psychotic nature prevail, and they insult the culture in which I was brought up and to which I will belong to the day I die.

So bearing in mind that it’s still winter in Russia and you need all that vodka to keep warm, I’ll just inform you that the old belief was also part of my upbringing and it did not clash with Christianity. On the contrary, the moral code is the same and both beliefs are inseparable parts of my culture.
If the old ones were stopped from returning because of the Pope, then jebeš the old ones and their might.
I believe the higher power has many emanations and religion is the matter of fashion, while faith is eternal and its core always the same regardless of the rite. There won’t be any return of the old ones, since they never left. They simply adapted their appearance to ever changing world, or the world adapted to the change of their appearance, or both.

Now, if you still feel like discussing "the evil empire", be advised to sweep your own doorstep before you even think of sweeping mine.

Posted Image

#44    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah whatever, have a nice day :-*

Posted Image Oh Gods protect us from these unbelievers and purge their lies and madness from this post and cast them into outer darkness and may their names be forgotten for eternity and their wrappings infested with fungus Posted Image

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 28 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#45    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,882 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 28 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Yeah whatever, have a nice day :-*

Posted Image Oh Gods protect us from these unbelievers and purge their lies and madness from this post and cast them into outer darkness and may their names be forgotten for eternity and their wrappings infested with fungus Posted Image

Thank you, I must say it was you that actually made my day :lol:

After seeing what happens when the Orthodox rite (unmatched in length and amount of fumes) meets ancient Egyptian rite (unmatched in obsession with the wrappings), in immature mind, I must conclude the syncretism is sadly not for everyone.

Anyway, keep posting, if you didn’t exist, someone would have to invent you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users