Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people like Tablets so much?

Kaikou

I know so many people who own Ipads and other such tablet devices, yet I could never understand the attraction to them.

Eventually I brought a cheap one to read ebooks with, but after I finished my books I was left with a device that held little meaning.

I can't use it for work purposes as I require something more powerful and Every other task is handled by my laptop/desktop or phone

What do you use your tablet for?

Do you prefer it to other devices?

I'm in the same boat as you, I much prefer my laptop and phone for media purposes and my desktop for gaming purposes. I guess that leaves tablets out of the equation for me.

• Like 2

A tablet is the prefect gateway to a narcissistic world of self-indulgence.

No finer tool has ever been crafted that allows a person to exist in 2 separate worlds at once.

• Like 6

I'm in the same boat as you, I much prefer my laptop and phone for media purposes and my desktop for gaming purposes. I guess that leaves tablets out of the equation for me.

Yeah, that's the same with me. My argument is: For music I use my phone, for work I use my desktop, If I want to stream a movie or show I'll use my tv. For playing games I use a console.

The only other social media I use is twitter and my phone is fine for that.

I guess the good side is that we'll save a bit of cash. :P

• Like 1

A tablet is the prefect gateway to a narcissistic world of self-indulgence.

No finer tool has ever been crafted that allows a person to exist in 2 separate worlds at once.

That sounds about right haha.

Tablets seems to be attractive in terms of portability. People can carry them around in waiting rooms, café or in their own living rooms for browsing the web, reading books or newspapers and playing a few game, instead of using a ( perhaps more cumbersome) laptop for these basic tasks. Not everyone has a smartphone and tablets have larger screens, usually from 7'' to 10'' which can make it a good compromise.

At least that's as far as I can see.

Edited by sam_comm

Basically what sam_comm said. I own an iPad Air and i carry it around everywhere. Even around my house. I can lay down with it, walk around with it, pull it out while standing etc. I don't have a smartphone but even if I did the ipad screen is bigger.

I never thought a tablet would be useful to me just like I never wanted a laptop as I did not see the point in needing my computer to be portable. Or the need for a smart phone. Smart phones I am still to be convinced about. But like everything once you get one of the devices you get used to it and accept it in your life.

As for tablets its no good for long typing sessions or doing work on. They were never designed for that. The design is for social and portable use.Even though microsoft are trying to change that with there pro surface range. I use mine for going to my local cafe and watching movie shows through amazon prime. I also use tenori-on as I did not was to shell out £300 on the actual device as I did not know how much I would use it. Do not really use many apps. But do read digital magazines on it. Skype on it sometimes when I am out and about.

I prefer a tablet to mobile phone and carrying it around is not an issue as I nearly always have a bag with me. I just have a cheap mobile which does the basics well.

I think where it comes into its own is for older people. My parents who are now elderly fear using computers because they are always worries about virus or doing something wrong. But with a tablet after just a few lessons they were surfing the net and playing on some games and skyping for the first time. It has opened up a whole new world to them.

• Like 1

I never thought a tablet would be useful to me just like I never wanted a laptop as I did not see the point in needing my computer to be portable. Or the need for a smart phone. Smart phones I am still to be convinced about. But like everything once you get one of the devices you get used to it and accept it in your life.

As for tablets its no good for long typing sessions or doing work on. They were never designed for that. The design is for social and portable use.Even though microsoft are trying to change that with there pro surface range. I use mine for going to my local cafe and watching movie shows through amazon prime. I also use tenori-on as I did not was to shell out £300 on the actual device as I did not know how much I would use it. Do not really use many apps. But do read digital magazines on it. Skype on it sometimes when I am out and about.

I prefer a tablet to mobile phone and carrying it around is not an issue as I nearly always have a bag with me. I just have a cheap mobile which does the basics well.

I think where it comes into its own is for older people. My parents who are now elderly fear using computers because they are always worries about virus or doing something wrong. But with a tablet after just a few lessons they were surfing the net and playing on some games and skyping for the first time. It has opened up a whole new world to them.

I always love seeing the reactions of those whom have just discovered todays technology for the first time, my mother got her first smartphone last year. I don't really do the facebook thing unless I feel like contacting family in other states and i'm not big on social media, but my mom was like oh oh add me on facebook, let's skype, I downloaded a new app today. She was computer illiterate for a long time, after the smartphone she had to have a touchscreen notebook with windows 8, now I can't stop her from trying to skype me all the damned time.

• Like 1

For me, a phone is too small and while a lap top is nice ( I have a netbook) the tablet is nice and portable for WiFi around and outside of the house. I'll watch movies on it, listen to music,watch music videos/concerts, post on message boards. For instance, I'm posting from my 7" tablet while watching a movie on the netbook.

The tablet I have is the google 7". The keyboard sucks and it likes to shut off and turn back on all by itself which I attribute to google updates. Eventually I will replace this turd burglar with a Samsung 7" but for now it will do. Nevertheless I will stick with a 7" tablet but that's just me. :)

I agree there, no practical use for them! I have this xbox for video games+my phone for work related purposes,i never saw the appeal of being able to play angry birds on just a marginally larger screen.... :-*

I've been using mostly Windows desktops and laptops. I did have a chance to try out an iPad for a few hours. It was good. Mostly I just surfed the web and read articles. A lot of web pages are now being updated to use this touch-type interface.

Probably most people use them for web surfing, movies, and social media.

Some business that would use a clipboard and paper can use a tablet for note-taking, inventory. Easier to walk around with a tablet than a laptop. But probably not much good for typing or things that require precise control (graphic design).

Edited by little_dreamer

for me.. it has to do with being visual. Cell phones are to small. I hav issues with finger hitting right keys, plus screen being small.

I like 10 inch tablets.. perfect size for visual and hitting right keys. It is portable.

• Like 1

I like super big laptops, but for mobile-on-the-go I have a 6" windows phablet--the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

I have a laptop (two actually), a smartphone, two tablets, and an all-in-one desktop.

My boyfriend uses the crap out of the all-in-one, my favorite laptop converts to a rather large tablet and it's what I use the most--in laptop mode (I rarely use it as a tablet). My phone I use all the time. But, I also have a Surface Pro, and a Galaxy. My Galaxy is tied to my cellphone account so I get Data on it everywhere; I really only when laying in bed, when going on vacation somewhere or when I have to meet friends to make plans in a restaurant or some other location where a laptop or phone is inconvenient.

However that's me. I know some folks who really use the crud out of theirs, as their primary device. Most of these folks I know who use their tablet as their primary device aren't very computer savvy and don't use it for much more than YouTube, Facebook and general surfing. They're good for that.

• Like 1

When I got my first iPad it was not because I wanted one, it was the geek in me was excited for a giant iPhone.

I have a pc but I rarely use it now, it gets switched on maybe twice a fortnight. I do everything now on iPad or phone.

I'm not a great music lover but do have a few albums on it. I play a lot of hidden object adventure/puzzle games. I can create documents, print them, share them, watch netflix, bbc iplayer and the like, I even use it for star and planetary spotting. I've yet to find anything I cannot do with it.

I never take it out of home though, my iPhone is for mobile stuff. The main thing is it has a good battery, I don't have to sit at a pc desk and it's easy to use, plus it doesn't have a virus yet so I don't have to worry too much about security, although recent icloud issues has obviously raised questions of security.

I've even managed to get my Mum and several of her friends to switch to iPad from laptop and they are over the moon with them.

Cheers :-)

For me, a phone is too small and while a lap top is nice ( I have a netbook) the tablet is nice and portable for WiFi around and outside of the house. I'll watch movies on it, listen to music,watch music videos/concerts, post on message boards. For instance, I'm posting from my 7" tablet while watching a movie on the netbook.

The tablet I have is the google 7". The keyboard sucks and it likes to shut off and turn back on all by itself which I attribute to google updates. Eventually I will replace this turd burglar with a Samsung 7" but for now it will do. Nevertheless I will stick with a 7" tablet but that's just me. :)

I too have the google nexus 7". Have never had a problem with it randomly shutting down though. Have you tried doing a full system restore?

And yes the keyboard sucks

• Like 1

I am buying this on my next payday...

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Land-Prestige-10-Inch-Tablet/dp/B008PNWSKO

oh.. by the way.. it comes in purple.. is it sooo horribly wrong to have the MAIN reason of buying it, because it is P U R P L E?

I too have the google nexus 7". Have never had a problem with it randomly shutting down though. Have you tried doing a full system restore?

And yes the keyboard sucks

I haven't tried the restore but it may end up coming to that. It doesn't happen as often now that I disabled the google play app.

I am buying this on my next payday...

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B008PNWSKO

oh.. by the way.. it comes in purple.. is it sooo horribly wrong to have the MAIN reason of buying it, because it is P U R P L E?

It's gotten bad reviews recently on the link you sent. Purple may not be everything.

I don't even have a cell phone which I'm sure most people today can't fathom the very idea lol. I have a Macbook and a gaming rig but I do like tablets at home so I can read books, e-mags and news sites while laying down. I used to have the original iPad but Target last year was buying back iPads for $200...double what mine was worth if not more and I just never replaced it.

Not sure I ever want to get a cell, most everyone I see is so horribly addicted it's pathetic but I wouldn't mind a new tablet to keep up on my e-mags cause reading them on the laptop is well, less than favorable but I doubt I will bother.

• Like 1

Personally speaking, I am a simulator pilot, and tablets are FANTASTIC for looking up immediate weather, charts, maps, etc. The touch-screen makes going from page to page immediate, and the small size helps with keeping a hand free.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I read a lot of manga etc online, so I use my iPad mostly for that. I also catch public transport a lot, so I also pass the time playing games etc.

i have my purple tablet... my answer to why I love it so mch?

Hayday