Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Derren Brown: I will make a straight man gay

derren brown gay straight man women

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Derren learned this by performing it on himself... being a bit afraid and not wanting to come completely out of the closet... he convinced himself he had metamorphed his being into that of a gayman just for trial an error purposes.. obviously.

#62    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

This guy's face annoys me.

#63    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 20 February 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'd just like people to know that thanks to this Thread, I've now got ads for Mature Gay Dating, and Local Chubby Gay Men Want To meet You.
:unsure2: :santa:

An answer to all your problems: Download Firefox (if you don't already use it) and install this add-on (though, perhaps it should be called an add-off?). Goodbye to all ads. Seriously, I've almost forgotten that internet ads exist.

#64    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

An answer to all your problems: Download Firefox (if you don't already use it) and install this add-on (though, perhaps it should be called an add-off?). Goodbye to all ads. Seriously, I've almost forgotten that internet ads exist.
I`m not sure he was complaining about them.Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#65    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,397 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Now how are sites like this one going to make enough money to stay around if everyone uses such ad blockers?

#66    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Now how are sites like this one going to make enough money to stay around if everyone uses such ad blockers?

I see your point but can't sites add rules that don't allow people access when ad-blocker are active? It doesn't matter anyway; as far as I'm aware, advertisers cannot tell if those visiting sites have active ad-blockers and they pay money based on site traffic. So shhh, it'll be our secret.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 20 February 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#67    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

-
I think my phone must be broken, as i've not seen one advert on here yet?
dammit, I want chubby gay pop-ups too!!
*sulks*

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#68    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postshrooma, on 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

-
I think my phone must be broken, as i've not seen one advert on here yet?
dammit, I want chubby gay pop-ups too!!
*sulks*

Look out your window, he is coming down your road now, I ordered him for you....friend.

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#69    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

If I was a millionaire I would bet my entire fortune that the program you mention was not staged. His entire reputation is on the line with all of his stunts, and he would never risk it. Besides, how can you say the guy's acting was bad? If he was acting, it was as real as they come. Just because he didn't react in the same way as actors in horror films? I saw true terror in the man's face.

I think that perhaps in this case, what holds true is that if a person will sell their soul to gain power, then another person may just as easily lose or hamper their reputation just for the money. If he is okay with having such a reputation as he does, then clearly the amount of money he makes is clearly worth it to him.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#70    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostAsadora, on 21 February 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I think that perhaps in this case, what holds true is that if a person will sell their soul to gain power, then another person may just as easily lose or hamper their reputation just for the money. If he is okay with having such a reputation as he does, then clearly the amount of money he makes is clearly worth it to him.

Except this story was completely fabricated and was debunked in this thread back in post #26. Besides, I don't think this has ever.been about money or power to him.

#71    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,100 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 21 February 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Except this story was completely fabricated and was debunked in this thread back in post #26. Besides, I don't think this has ever.been about money or power to him.
No, that's why he's on TV so much, with shows with "Derren Brown" in the title.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#72    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 21 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

No, that's why he's on TV so much, with shows with "Derren Brown" in the title.

I believe he likes to show that he's smarter than everyone else in a room and likes to shock people, but I don't think it's about about power.

As far as I'm aware, he was born 'Derren' and used the stage name of 'Darren' early in his career. It's his name.

#73    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,100 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 21 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

I believe he likes to show that he's smarter than everyone else in a room and likes to shock people, but I don't think it's about about power.

No, I think it's probably more about being an annoying twerp.
The funniest thing is his list of titles, according to his somewhat gushing entry on Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia, "Derren Brown (born 27 February 1971)[3] is a British illusionist, mentalist, hypnotist, painter, writer, and sceptic."
I believe he's also (but he's too modest to say) one of the leading existentialist philosophers, an HGV Class I license holder, and a member of the College of Cardinals who will shortly be choosing the new Pope.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#74    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,258 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I would be happy to watch a 2-hour special in which Derren Brown makes himself disappear.

#75    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 21 February 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

No, I think it's probably more about being an annoying twerp.
The funniest thing is his list of titles, according to his somewhat gushing entry on Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia, "Derren Brown (born 27 February 1971)[3] is a British illusionist, mentalist, hypnotist, painter, writer, and sceptic."
I believe he's also (but he's too modest to say) one of the leading existentialist philosophers, an HGV Class I license holder, and a member of the College of Cardinals who will shortly be choosing the new Pope.

I don't think you can blame him for his 'titles' on Wikipedia. He is a well educated man with quite a bit of life experience. I'm not sure why the titles bother you? He is clearly an illusionist; probably the best mentalist I've ever heard of or seen in action; an accomplished hypnotist, as we all know; probably a crap painter, or amateur at least, so probably not much need for that in there; he has written books, so obviously a writer; and he devotes much of his life to debunking the 'paranormal', very successfully I might add. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Is it just his smarmy attitude?

Personally I think he's great; as close to genius in his expertise as they come and very entertaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users