Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ladies' baseball movie inspiration dies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,459 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

The female baseball player who inspired Gena Davis' character in A League of Their Own died at age 88.

The classic baseball film "A League of Their Own" immortalized the life of Lavonne "Pepper" Paire-Davis, though you might not have made the connection at first. Paire-Davis, the inspiration for the character played by Geena Davis, died Saturday of natural causes at age 88.

In 1992, "A League of Their Own" gave a fictionalized account of the birth of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, which was developed by Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley on the fear that Major League Baseball would cease playing because of World War II. The majors never stopped, but the women's league proved popular enough to stay in business from 1943 to 1954. They might have played in skirts, but the women also played to win. Their artifacts are all over the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and their place in baseball history is undeniable.

Full story

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,214 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

We used to play rounders, loved it, but it never became a national game. :no:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,322 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

They might have played in skirts, but the women also played to win. Their artifacts are all over the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and their place in baseball history is undeniable.
I loved that movie!
Cooperstown is only about a 2 hour drive from my house and can you believe I've never been to the baseball hall of fame? I should really make it a point to get there soon.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#4    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I watched that movie SO many times. Very sad news indeed, but at least she had a full life.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,459 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yep, you should. :)

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users