Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Feeding pets

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

As a Vegan or Vegetarian, how do you justify feeding your cat or dog with meat products?
Or if fyou don't, what do you feed them?

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,967 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Isn't that what they'd eat if they were wild?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 30 November 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Isn't that what they'd eat if they were wild?
Who, the vegans and the vegetarians?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,967 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

The dogs and cats....

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Dogs can survive on a little veg in their diet but cats have a completely different metabolism and need a diet VERY rich in Nitrogen. In other words pretty much meat. Any vegan/vegetarian who tries to force their carnivorous pets into a meat-free diet is in effect committing an act of animal cruelty. In the case of cats, they will try and catch their own anyway by hunting, rendering the endeavour completely pointless.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

I eat meat but I wouldn't force my horse to eat it since he is a vegetarian.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,654 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostMistydawn, on 30 November 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

As a Vegan or Vegetarian, how do you justify feeding your cat or dog with meat products?
Or if fyou don't, what do you feed them?

I've often wondered how they do that. Betty White is one of my heroes in animal rescue and she is a vegetarian. I'm pretty sure she would do what is best for the animals in her care by feeding them meat.

#8    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostMichelle, on 01 December 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

I've often wondered how they do that. Betty White is one of my heroes in animal rescue and she is a vegetarian. I'm pretty sure she would do what is best for the animals in her care by feeding them meat.

I just wondered, I mean the tins of meat for pets are presumably from animals that have been killed, it's a dilemma isn't it.

Posted Image

#9    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Not feeding dogs and cats meat is cruel, they have canine teeth for a reason!

#10    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostBling, on 01 December 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Not feeding dogs and cats meat is cruel, they have canine teeth for a reason!

I understand your stance Bling, but if you were a Vegan say, killing and eating meat is a no-no, so if you had a pet dog or cat, how could you justify feeding them meat that you buy?

Posted Image

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 01 December 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

I understand your stance Bling, but if you were a Vegan say, killing and eating meat is a no-no, so if you had a pet dog or cat, how could you justify feeding them meat that you buy?

I would never inflict my beliefs onto a pet if it had the possibility of harming them. If I were a vegan/veggie, I wouldn't have pets that I couldn't feed to the best of my ability. But I'd never be a vegan/veggie because I too have canine teeth and believe humans should feel free to eat meat if they want.

#12    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Well it's either feed them what they have evolved to eat or malnourish them. Which is worse? If you can't answer that question correctly you don't deserve to own a dog or a cat. There are plenty animals you can own that don't eat meat. Rabbits are a good bet.
Perhaps with a cat it's not quite so bad if you let it out- it will just go out and kill wild animals like cute ickle birdies. By feeding it cat food, it should reduce the hunting instinct at least a little by satisfying the cat. It will not stop the instinct completely, but it will reduce the pressure. If you deprive the cat of its diet it will hunt more, thus essentially negating the philosophy behind NOT feeding it meat in the first place. If you can't look after an animal properly, you don't deserve to have it!

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#13    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,036 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

If that were the case, then you would also understand slowly killing a dog or cat by not feeding it what it needs would be a no-no.

This is from a Vet on that exact question :

Well, first up, the obvious: Cats are obligate carnivores. Offering them a vegan approach is about as biologically appropriate as feeding them granola bars. OK, so I exaggerate, but it’s not too far off.

For dogs, our understanding is murkier, given that studying wild dogs' anatomy, physiology and behavior tells us one thing (i.e., that they’re mostly carnivorous), and studying what domesticated lab-reared beagles can digest tells us another (i.e., that dogs digest vegetable protein better than we previously thought).

That said, even the beagle-wielding commercial pet food nutritionists who champion the benefits of soy protein and corn gluten are nowhere near recommending exclusively veggie diets. Most veterinary nutritionists have concluded that dogs are solidly omnivorous, with an emphasis on the kinds of foods their dentition would indicate they’re built to consume - that is, both cuspids for tearing and molars for grinding. Hence, a meat-based diet with other stuff thrown in.

Which is why I’ll not be pushing the dietary envelope with my patients, thank you very much. In fact, beagles being the most digestively capable example of any organism (with the possible exception of flesh-eating bacteria), in this case I think I’ll stick to what observing the natural world sans human intervention can teach us.

But what about people with religious issues, you ask?

It is one thing to source kosher or halal foods for your pet. It’s quite another to expect our pets to subsist on a vegan diet because we have a personal or political issue with consuming animal proteins.

After all, if you really want a vegetarian pet you can  adopt a rabbit, get a goat, consider horses or buy a guinea pig. There are plenty of vegetarian options for those who really want to share the experience with their pets. There is no need to inflict a biologically stressful condition on another species just because you happen to feel inclined towards such a diet for yourself.

Apples ... and oranges.

http://www.petmd.com...gs#.ULqs_4Y_JtQ

And I agree 100%

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#14    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I am something called a pescatarian, not because I hate animals (I Love them as a matter of fact). I think to inflict suffering upon another living thing as an act of sadism is horrid, but at the same time I don't think animals experience prolonged pain to supply my personal eating choices or undergo horrific treatment in the process. I do feed my dog regular dog food and select table scraps here and there, but I also make sure she does have a certain amount of meat in her diet. Why? Again, because I Love animals and despite what people may say to make themselves feel better, if someone put the same thing on a plate in front of you every single day of your life, you'd get bored with it. That's one big reason, and another being similar to what I think another poster said before me, that dogs a thousand years ago weren't eating kibble, and likewise in the wild today. My dog isn't even close to being fully domesticated by breed/species, and between my own research and talking to her vet, I've reached the conclusion there's a certain amount of meat that she needs to help maintain her health, and I believe if I knew that number and neglected it, I'd be hurting animals more so than I would be by eating them.

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#15    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think people need to get over the hang-up of old habits dying hard because they're a sub-species of the grey wolf.
I can assure you if I statistically place Jammie Dodgers all over the house during the day my dogs are happy as larry.
But I'm sure they prefer meat especially sausages which gets them climbing up on the kitchen units.
Don't forget that humans have canines too and don't crave meat on a regular basis.
I'll admit though they are pretty handy when chowing down on a juicy steak.
So the original threadstarter can feed a dog whatever the eck they want.
However I gather cats are more fussy so you can't force feed them vegetables.
Lady Kasey made a significant point about them living in the wild.
They could well revert to type without our influence.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users