Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A hypothetical question

Bogeyman

Okay

Here we go , here's something that's been on my mind for a while so i'm going to frame it as a hypothetical question i've aimed it at middle aged members for the simple reason that they may have had experience of something similar but all viewpoints are welcome.....

Let's say that you worked in a factory that makes say "widget x" for 20 years ,Now also let's say that "widget x" is only made in around 20 factories worldwide. Now lets say that around 6 years ago you left this factory to go to another country to help set up a new factory that's also capable of making "widget x" ....assume that because you did this you are none too popular in the factory you left....even though you were unhappy there for many years and you felt unfulfilled and unchallenged mentally.

Still with me ?

Okay , let's say you worked in this other country for 3 years and taking what you'd learned you helped to establish a plant that could make much better "widget x's" because you were given a budget that allowed you to buy equipment that could make the "widget" with the flaws designed out,you couldn't do this in the original factory because they wouldn't take the risk of the high investment and maybe didn't have the faith in you to go with your thinking......But now you know you were right and the new equipment has proved it so.

BUT

Because of Location and Potential political disruption in this location , customers have become nervous and are not prepared at present to buy "widget x" from the new plant even though the quality is better and the price is cheaper.....This has left you back home and seeking employment.

So here is the quandry

Chances are that the new plant will never get off the ground because of politics and vested interest or both.

You are not popular in your old plant because even after 20 years of loyal service you brought your knowledge to a possible competitor , BUT now you have knowledge that can help your old plant greatly because you have had the opportunity to test out your theories over the last 3 years ....Would you swallow your pride and go to your old plant ? and even if they did not offer you your job back because it would be seen as a weakness on their part,would you offer them the knowledge you have gained freely ?, to possibly help sustain jobs in your town.....This is hypothetically the situation i'm in.....what would you do ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bogeyman

• Q-C

• XenoFish

• Nighthawk9653

Would you swallow your pride and go to your old plant ?

(Most likely not, don't underestimate their level of resentment. Let's say you do go and ask for your old job back, and they decline.....not that pride is the most important thing in life, but you would really be swallowing hard after this rejection.)

and even if they did not offer you your job back because it would be seen as a weakness on their part, would you offer them the knowledge you have gained freely ?

(No, definitely not, they had their chance to gain your knowledge, and improve profits in the bargain BEFORE you left....as you said, they didn't have the faith then, why would they have it now?

***IF they want it they can and should pay for it.***)

.to possibly help sustain jobs in your town.....This is hypothetically the situation i'm in.....what would you do ?

(I'd try to find a better job, and here's your chance. There are other ways to help your town, e.g. form your own company, charity work, etc.)

How did sustained employment become so political?

(I'm 56 yrs old....is that middle enough?)

Good luck, a tough situation for sure.

Edited by scorpiosonic

Would you swallow your pride and go to your old plant ?

(Most likely not, don't underestimate their level of resentment. Let's say you do go and ask for your old job back, and they decline.....not that pride is the most important thing in life, but you would really be swallowing hard after this rejection.)

and even if they did not offer you your job back because it would be seen as a weakness on their part, would you offer them the knowledge you have gained freely ?

(No, definitely not, they had their chance to gain your knowledge, and improve profits in the bargain BEFORE you left....as you said, they didn't have the faith then, why would they have it now?

***IF they want it they can and should pay for it.***)

.to possibly help sustain jobs in your town.....This is hypothetically the situation i'm in.....what would you do ?

(I'd try to find a better job, and here's your chance. There are other ways to help your town, e.g. form your own company, charity work, etc.)

How did sustained employment become so political?

(I'm 56 yrs old....is that middle enough?)

Good luck, a tough situation for sure.

Cheers bud

You've gone to the little voice on my left shoulder.....any other views ?

This illustrates one of the reasons startups do better than established industries and especially better than government industries. Existing management and workers don't want change and find excuses to avoid it. They also have legacy commitments (such as pensions) that new entities don't yet have.

Those responsible for running established businesses or state enterprises must be conscious of this and pro-actively work to offset it. Enterprises must unceasingly re-invent themselves and never relax or feel confident.

I haven't been in this predicament, or experienced anything similar, as I'm still young...

But, if I were you, I'd go back to the original factory, present my ideas and findings, and go back in with a smile and be friendly and stuff.

Some may not like you.. But who cares? If you need a job, and you can give them something to help.. Then, why not?

That is, if I followed your hypothetical question correctly...

You said there are 20 factories worldwide (who might benefit from your knowledge?)

If you moved to a another country for 3 years, you are willing to move. Why not take your new knowledge to another company that makes widget x and who doesn't share the same personal animosity toward you or you toward them. Twenty years is a lot of time to build up feelings.

"Companies" are funny. Depending on who runs them: Who, how many, personality types. Who you upset, p****off, up-stage, challenge or whatever can be just one individual who knows how to make you look really bad to everyone in the company, or it can go up through not one individual but corporate wanting your butt.

I find it odd you would limit yourself to your old company where losing out seems to be a forgone conclusion. Although your information in the OP is very limited to make any judgments.

So, since you went back to your old company was it to say "See, I told you!" to some one or the whole corporation?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm not sure if I can answer this as I had a similar experience right out of high school. My father got me this job where all I did all day was put together a small part in a machine. Some kind of roller. Yet this machine would pop out every 7 or 9 roller making me reset the dang thing. So I got smart and "fixed" the problem. This increased my productivity to the point that before my 8 hour day was done, I'd have about an hour and a half of free time. After a month of higher productivity they let me go. Three months later they wanted me back, I never did. I wouldn't not because of pride but because of the treatment they gave me. I hated working there. So to answer the question I wouldn't got back to a job that I hated, even if it paid me a fortune.

If the new method of manufacturing the product makes it better and less expensive, and if there is a good profit in this new manufacturing method, you should consider finding investors and begin your own operation. However, and this a big one, this all depends on whether the plant In the other country really is going to fail and are not real competitors. Finally, you must also be sure that this new manufacturing method is not proprietary to the factory owners in the other country so they do not sue you out of business.

Good luck

Thanks all

I posted this on a couple of forums and the overriding opinion seems to be "move on" after sleeping on it i think i agree, Corporate MD''s do not like to be seen to be "proved wrong" and i think this is how i would be received,,after all they will still get the salary.If it was a private business it may possibly be different but that's not the case.

I'm glad i posted and got some grounding replies....once again thanks

Bogey

• 1 month later...

I would set up for proposle--charts, sldes, presentation, whatever you need & if possible a couple of the improved "x" things.

Call and inform them that while away you were given the chance to work out bugs, imporve quailty AND lower cost.

And would like to share the infor with them taking no more than 10/20/30/45 ? min of their time and leaving cost anylasistes, ect

And do so

By sharing 1st asking for nothing you can show them how you've grown and are a happy person now

I might leave resume with HR &/ CO & ??? But maybe not-might do that couple weeks down the road

Are there any volenteer slots you could do there ? Or can you"make a spot" ?