Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anonymous users.

shrooma

Because some people realize how ludicrous some of what they claim to have seen and do not want people to know who they are IRL. I know they could just make up a persona but its probably easier to just remain anonymous.

• Like 3

hi George.

notice how we have an anonymous user in our midst....?

Oh, you mean as in 2 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users , well, I suppose some people like to be mysterious or Engimatic.

• Like 1

Because some people realize how ludicrous some of what they claim to have seen and do not want people to know who they are IRL. I know they could just make up a persona but its probably easier to just remain anonymous.

but how about on a new thread? such as this one?

surely, there's no need to hide behind a persona?

if you can't be yourself, what's the point?

seriously, what would be the point..?!

'Anonymous' simply means that a user's online status is hidden - you can't see that they are currently online.

It's a very common feature on most Internet forums.

• Like 1

My main reason for doing it is to see people post topics like this,it's nice to give people something to talk about....My little contribution to the world....Your welcome.. (Insert pompous/smug emoticon here) haha

• Like 3

'Anonymous' simply means that a user's online status is hidden - you can't see that they are currently online.

It's a very common feature on most Internet forums.

i know Saru- i'm not THAT old!

it's the 'why' i'm not getting.

• Like 1

To avoid ear-biters. (talkative person demanding your attention when you're not in a chatty mood)

• Like 4

You got me :clap:

• Like 2

why does it bother you .... is the bigger question for me....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not after you!

• Like 1

why does it bother you .... is the bigger question for me....

it doesn't "bother" me per se, i'm just curious as to why people would go to all the trouble of setting up an account just to remain anonymous?

why come to a public forum to hide yourself?!

• Like 1

it doesn't "bother" me per se, i'm just curious as to why people would go to all the trouble of setting up an account just to remain anonymous?

why come to a public forum to hide yourself?!

:huh: Your real name is 'shrooma'?

People sign in privately because the don't wish to be on the users list. Maybe they want to read the board quietly or maybe they think that their online activity is no one elses business. Or maybe they just feel like it.

Either way it's a moot point if a member chooses to post because a post is there for all to see.

• Like 8

:huh: Your real name is 'shrooma'?

Maybe they want to read the board quietly or maybe they think that their online activity is no one elses business. Or maybe they just feel like it.

so why enter a public discussion forum?

it would be like going to a restaurant

just to watch people eat, instead of eating yourself, or going to a justin beiber gig when you can't stand the noise that the creepy little sod makes....

:huh: Your real name is Shrooma?

no, it isn't.

'Shrooma' is my user name.

if, when i registered, it asked me for my real name, instead of a user name, i would have entered 'Nicholas Terry Percival'.

but it didn't....

so why enter a public discussion forum?

it would be like going to a restaurant

just to watch people eat, instead of eating yourself, or going to a justin beiber gig when you can't stand the noise that the creepy little sod makes....

Because some people like to control their involvement in an online setting. When a member who is viewing privately chooses to enter a discussion, the post is public. Personally I'm far more curious why you even care whether others choose to appear online or not?

• Like 2

Personally I'm far more curious why you even care whether others choose to appear online or not?

you seem to be confusing curiosity with giving a s**t Dotnm.

i don't "care", i just wondered why.

Temper, temper.

It's obvious you do care because I gave you plenty of reasons of why people choose to view discussion forums privately. You just don't seem to like them.

• Like 2

If you live in a big city, you are anonym until you give your name and start a conversation. First you observe the situation and when you feel like joining in you reveal yourself, so it is more natural to be anonym than to walk around and yell your name.

Surely the answer is obvious. It's these gentlemen.

• Like 1

it would be like going to a restaurant just to watch people eat, instead of eating yourself

No, that would be more like people who read the forums but never comment, whether they created an account or not.

• Like 1

No, that would be more like people who read the forums but never comment, whether they created an account or not.

There's plenty that do that, and it's not necessarily sinister, a lot of people spend time browsing forums to find out things and to get the feel of it to decide whether or not to participate. I sometimes do that, and i'm not sinister or creepy.
  • Like 6

you mean those people stood outside, with their faces pressed up against the glass...?

• Like 2