Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

David Attenborough-Humans are plague on Earth

david attenborough humans earth plague

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#16    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Postgreypaperman, on 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Humanity has completely exploited this planet and now the planet earth can no longer support the burden of this egotistical race.

Human overpopulation is not only very dangerous for the natural world which we have done so much to destroy but also to ourselves. The more humans there are on the planet there will be more suffering, strife and wars.

Hopefully nature will readdress the balance with natural catastrphes which will signifcantly lower the population.

If we decide to take responsibilty for ourselves a solution would be to sterilise large sections of the population.

Humanity has got to remember that it is just one of billions of different species on this planet and it hasno  right or entitlement to flourish at the expense of other species or the detriment of the natural world. I hope we get a rude reminder that we're nothing special on this planet!
Nature's never in balance, it's in competition with itself.

#17    greypaperman

greypaperman

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Nature's never in balance, it's in competition with itself.

And the human race is not above nature and we have been trying to compete with and master nature and hopefully we shall loose. I hope that nature cleanses humanity from the earth.

#18    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I feel like all species on this planet are a plague, but we are the dominant ones, so we will be the ones to finally bring it down.

Posted Image

#19    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postgreypaperman, on 23 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

And the human race is not above nature and we have been trying to compete with and master nature and hopefully we shall loose. I hope that nature cleanses humanity from the earth.
And people wonder why our generation doesn't care about things, it's because we don't care about ourselves as a species as well. If you hate your species it'll trickle down to self-hatred.

#20    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 January 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

This is where you and I, and climate change skeptics, do disagree. 'Planetary crisis'? It's climate change caused by a species that evolved naturally and is using the resources of the planet it dwells on. No crisis, just nature. Will it cause problems? Sure. But there will always be climate problems, unless we take a strangle hold approach and devote ourselves to controlling the environment to our liking (and that would still cause problems for other species and natural systems). I guess my whole problem is, I dislike the negative connotation given to our species BY US just for being successful at surviving. Should we care more about other species and watch what we do? We should, yes, our intelligence has given us the ability to self-examine what we've done and want to undo. Must we? No, we're nature, not it's keeper.
How do you define success. Driving half the species to extinction - including ourselves probably -  is a strange definition of success. All based on a flawed understanding of our role in the world. Traditional peoples consider their function to be to maintain natures balance for the benefit of all of the biosphere, so I fundamentally disagree that we are destined to behave in the way we are doing - and we are very capable of making conscious choices to behave differently, as our fellow humans have chosen to do.

There is something terribly fatalistic about your attitude to our role in the planets evolution.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 23 January 2013 - 04:19 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#21    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,419 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postgreypaperman, on 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Humanity has completely exploited this planet and now the planet earth can no longer support the burden of this egotistical race.

Human overpopulation is not only very dangerous for the natural world which we have done so much to destroy but also to ourselves. The more humans there are on the planet there will be more suffering, strife and wars.

Hopefully nature will readdress the balance with natural catastrophes which will signifcantly lower the population.

If we decide to take responsibilty for ourselves a solution would be to sterilise large sections of the population.

Humanity has got to remember that it is just one of billions of different species on this planet and it has no right or entitlement to flourish at the expense of other species or to the detriment of the natural world. I hope we get a rude reminder that we're nothing special on this planet!
Prove it.

View PostBr Cornelius, on 23 January 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Until we discover some radical flaw in our understanding of physics that aint physically possible. 40years of expendable basic resources wont give us much chance to radically change physics - even assuming it is possible.

Br Cornelius
That is assuming that there is no way to artificially create gravity fields.  Once we do that we're 80% of the way to populating other planetary bodies.  You are too ready to believe that we already know everything, thus your view on the climate and most of your other pessimistic view points.

#22    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,419 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postgreypaperman, on 23 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

If you believe that then why not kill yourself?  Wouldn't that be doing your part?

#23    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostOverSword, on 23 January 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Prove it.
That is assuming that there is no way to artificially create gravity fields.  Once we do that we're 80% of the way to populating other planetary bodies.  You are too ready to believe that we already know everything, thus your view on the climate and most of your other pessimistic view points.
I would like to see some small shred of evidence of the breaking of the laws of physics. Even if Gravity distortion is possible, it doesn't allow for us to travel at speeds fast enough to travel between stars and so colonize other planets. There maybe some future development in this direction, but nothing in the window available to us if we continue to exploit our survival biosphere and resource base.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#24    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostOverSword, on 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

If you believe that then why not kill yourself?  Wouldn't that be doing your part?
A stupid suggestion as it would not address the fundamental problem of general ignorance which is causing the population time bomb. I get sick of hearing that lame old refrain. Encouraging the people who do understand to kill themselves can only make matters worse.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#25    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,168 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostOverSword, on 23 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

I've long believed that it is the destiny of our species to migrate out into the galaxy and eventually the rest of the multiverse.
The only "destiny" we have is death.

Edited by Rlyeh, 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#26    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,419 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I would like to see some small shred of evidence of the breaking of the laws of physics. Even if Gravity distortion is possible, it doesn't allow for us to travel at speeds fast enough to travel between stars and so colonize other planets. There maybe some future development in this direction, but nothing in the window available to us if we continue to exploit our survival biosphere and resource base.

Br Cornelius
According to theoretical physics if you could generate a large enough gravity field you would create a singularity which theoreticaly could warp space enabling you to by-pass space and time thus travelling anywhere in the universe and possibly multiverse instantly.  It's only theory but so is much of what we think we understand about physics.  notably it has been reported that scientist have moved electrons faster than light already.

View PostRlyeh, on 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

The only "destiny" we have is death.
true, as individuals that is our destiny.

Edited by OverSword, 23 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#27    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

David Attenborough-Humans are plague on Earth

greypaperman, on 23 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:
And the human race is not above nature and we have been trying to compete with and master nature and hopefully we shall loose. I hope that nature cleanses humanity from the earth

These sick comments are typical of the Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace-type.

These organisations and their supporters all think that humans are some sort of plague or planetary disease that needs to be wiped out.  They don't seem to realise that humans are an animal which belongs on Earth just as much as all the others.

To be honest I find comments like these disturbing.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 23 January 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,168 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostOverSword, on 23 January 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

true, as individuals that is our destiny.
On the species level it holds just as true. There are no predetermined factors that guarantee humanity will leave earth, on the other hand death is in our genes.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 23 January 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

These sick comments are typical of the Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace-type.

These organisations and their supporters all think that humans are some sort of plague or planetary disease that needs to be wiped out.  They don't seem to realise that humans are an animal which belongs on Earth just as much as all the others.

To be honest I find comments like these disturbing.
Simply because its unpaletable to accept that we are living beyond the means of the planet to support us in the long term doesn't make it untrue. Give me another more appropriate and less offensive definition of what that implies because in my book a plague is a perfect description of the reality we are living from the earths perspective.

Anthrax is a natural disease, but it commonly kills its host species. We are natural but that doesn't gives us cart blanch to do what the hell we damn well please without causing harm to the planet and ourselves.

Maybe you would be one who believe we are living well within our means ?

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 23 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,419 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Again all of you who agree with the whole plague on the earth thing, why don't you kill yourself?  and don't give me the answer that Br's already provided.  Nobody can do more than thier own little part regardless of the big picture and I'm pretty sure that if every human that agrees with Sir David killed themselves we could cut the worlds population by 50%.

Also tagged with david attenborough, humans, earth, plague

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users