Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sayings of Widsom

muslim

Post a religous quote u like that has wisdom in it. Any religion is fine. Lets make this the wisdom thread.

Ill start off. Sayings of prophet Mohammed:

"Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights."

“The best of people are those that bring most benefit to the rest of mankind.â€

“The best of people are those who are best in fulfilling [rights].â€

“The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds.â€

"No person hath drunk a better draught than that of anger which he hath swallowed for God's sake.â€

“Do not say, that if the people do good to us, we will do good to them; and if the people oppress us, we will oppress them; but determine that if people do you good, you will do good to them; and if they oppress you, you will not oppress themâ€

“No person hath drunk a better draught than that of anger which he hath swallowed for God's sakeâ€

“Do not say, that if the people do good to us, we will do good to them; and if the people oppress us, we will oppress them; but determine that if people do you good, you will do good to them; and if they oppress you, you will not oppress themâ€

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action."

"The best of faith is patience and magnanimity.â€

“The best of all charity is that you give it while you are healthy and desirous [of that money], hoping to become wealthy but fearing poverty. Don’t delay until you are about to breathe your last and then you say, ‘This is for ‘so and so’ and this is for ‘so and so’’, for indeed, it has already been written that ‘so and so’ would receive that.â€

"A strong person is not the person who throws his adversaries to the ground. A strong person is the person who contains himself when he is angry."

Edited by muslim

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brave_new_world

• DeathCaboose999

• LaPucelle

• War Eagle

I have always liked St Paul's direction in his letters to the Corinthians that the three great Christian virtues are "faith, hope and charity(love) but the greatest of these is charity(love).

There are many words of wisdom in the bible but these encapsulate what i see to be the essence of Christianity. He says these should "abideth always", which I take to mean at all times, and throughout time.

Also he is my name sake.

"I saw also that there was an ocean of darkness and death, but an infinite ocean of light and love, which flowed over the ocean of darkness." -- George Fox

"Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone; whereby in them you may be a blessing, and make the witness of God in them to bless you." -- George Fox

"No joy is comparable to the feeling of the eternal Presence in ones heart" -- The Mother (Pondacherry Madras India)

"Force may make hypocrites, but it can never make converts." William Penn

"I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows. " Susan B Anthony

"For we walk by faith, not by sight." II Corinthians 5:7

There are of course a billion more, from all walks of life and religion, I like these tonight. :D

The quotes below are religious, but not by any specific leader of religion; but I've always found them inspiring.

Imagine the universe beautiful and just and perfect.

Then be sure of one thing:

The Is* has imagined it quite a bit better than you have.

The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't.

~Richard Bach - Illusions, the adventures of a reluctant messiah

------------

If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats.

~ Richard Bach - Illusions

------------

Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.

---------------

Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, and teachers.

-----------------

26. And [the Messiah] said unto them, "If a man told God that he wanted most of all to help the suffering world, no matter the price to himself, and God answered and told him what he must do, should the man do as he is told?"

27. "Of course, Master!" cried the many. "It should be pleasure for him to suffer the tortures of hell itself, should God ask it!"

28. "No matter what those tortures, no matter how difficult the task?"

29. "Honor to be hanged, glory to be nailed to a tree and burned, if so be that God has asked," said they.

30. "And what would you do," the Master said unto the multitude, "if God spoke directly to your face and said, 'I COMMAND THAT YOU BE HAPPY IN THE WORLD, AS LONG AS YOU LIVE.' What would you do then?"

31. And the multitude was silent, not a voice, not a sound was heard upon the hillsides, across the valleys where they stood.

* The Is = The almighty God.

This is a fantastic book, I believe I've talked about it before on here. It's from a fictional religious perspective that fits within our own faith of whatever religion we practice. It's only about 100 pages long too, very easy to read :D.

"May the force be with you"

I don't know who said this first but I've always liked it........ :D

Well where in the heck is BNW? He could fill up 17 pages in 20 minutes! Love you Brave you rock!! :D:wub:

Kahlil Gibran:

We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.

George Santayana:

Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it.

Groucho Marx:

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox:

The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a happy mind.

Albert Einstein:

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Malcolm Forbes:

The dumbest people I know are those who know it all.

Bertrand Russell:

Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." LOL!

And I love this quote from a medieval English mystic, Julian of Norwich:

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."

And I don't know who said this but I like it:

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees!"

And my Presbyterian friend has a saying from her Catechism that I love but I can't remember the wording exactly: I'll have to check it out and get back to you! :D

Well done muslim on a grand post. Who to quote..........WHO TO QUOTE????? Oh the choices are endless...........Who and what do I quote? No bible passages have had enough of them in unexplained mysteries.......Ok here I go, I hope you like I LIKE!:

I do not fear death, for I was fortunate to have been born in the first place. This life is a gift, and was never really mine at all.

-----Serena Butler, last message to Xavier Harkonnen

The flesh man can not be excused from the laws of matter, but the mind is not so fettered. Thoughts transcend the physics of the brain.

-----Cogitor Vidad

Thinking, and the methods by which thoughts are communicated inevitably create a system permeated by illusions.

---Zensunni Teaching

I searched for God and found only myself.

I searched for myself and found only God.

--- Sufi Quote

For those at one with the Oneness, everything is good. ---Taoist aphorism

To find yourself, think for yourself. ---Socrates

no perceptual judgement can ever be made with complete certainty. ---Werner Heisenberg (Nobel prize winning physicist)

Well Im done! B)

Edited by brave_new_world

And I love this quote from a medieval English mystic, Julian of Norwich:

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."

This one I love. I will definately write this one in my personal bible. Cheers mate! :yes:

Aha! Found it!! (Now that didn't take so long, did it?) :D

This is from the Confession of 1967, Presbyterian Church USA:

"Life is a gift to be received with gratitude and a task to be pursued with courage."

I like that!! :yes:

Well where in the heck is BNW? He could fill up 17 pages in 20 minutes! Love you Brave you rock!! :D:wub:

Ahhh thanks MissMelsWell. I'd like to see more quaker quotes!

This one I love. I will definately write this one in my personal bible. Cheers mate! :yes:

Thanks, brave_new_world! I have always found Julian to be immensely comforting!! :) Have you ever read her book, "Revelations of Divine Love"? It's still in print, after nearly 600 years!!! :o:tu:

Thanks, brave_new_world! I have always found Julian to be immensely comforting!! :) Have you ever read her book, "Revelations of Divine Love"? It's still in print, after nearly 600 years!!! :o:tu:

Cant say I have but I definately look into it.

The quotes below are religious, but not by any specific leader of religion; but I've always found them inspiring.

Imagine the universe beautiful and just and perfect.

Then be sure of one thing:

The Is* has imagined it quite a bit better than you have.

The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't.

~Richard Bach - Illusions, the adventures of a reluctant messiah

------------

If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats.

------------

Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.

---------------

Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, and teachers.

-----------------

26. And [the Messiah] said unto them, "If a man told God that he wanted most of all to help the suffering world, no matter the price to himself, and God answered and told him what he must do, should the man do as he is told?"

27. "Of course, Master!" cried the many. "It should be pleasure for him to suffer the tortures of hell itself, should God ask it!"

28. "No matter what those tortures, no matter how difficult the task?"

29. "Honor to be hanged, glory to be nailed to a tree and burned, if so be that God has asked," said they.

30. "And what would you do," the Master said unto the multitude, "if God spoke directly to your face and said, 'I COMMAND THAT YOU BE HAPPY IN THE WORLD, AS LONG AS YOU LIVE.' What would you do then?"

31. And the multitude was silent, not a voice, not a sound was heard upon the hillsides, across the valleys where they stood.

* The Is = The almighty God.

This is a fantastic book, I believe I've talked about it before on here. It's from a fictional religious perspective that fits within our own faith of whatever religion we practice. It's only about 100 pages long too, very easy to read :D.

Yea I love that little book :tu:

I'm gonna go for my favourite piece of wisdom from the new testament.

Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? Matthew 6:27

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about it's own things. Suffcient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34

Soo true, very good advice from JC. ;)

Tao Te Ching

Eleven

Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub;

It is the center hole that makes it useful.

Shape clay into a vessel;

It is the space within that makes it useful.

Cut doors and windows for a room;

It is the holes which make it useful.

Therefore benefit comes from what is there;

Usefulness from what is not there.

• 9 months later...

this isnt about religion but these are the last few lines of a poem whos author's name i forgot.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but with a whimper

FATHER: Son, what do you see there?

SON: I see a Bunyan Tree and its fruit.

FATHER: Pick up the fruit and open it, what do you see?

SON: I see there are seeds.

FATHER: Break open the seeds. What do you see?

SON: I see nothing.

FATHER: Truly, it is from there that this great Bunyan Tree has grown.

~ The Unpunishads

We are the greatest God that ever was or ever will be. Christs and Buddhas are but waves on the boundless ocean which I am. Bow down to nothing but your Self. Until you know that you are the very God of gods, there will never be any freedom for you.

--Swami Vivekananda

and the second quote in my signature

These are just a few of my personal favorites... (there not religious, but wisdom none the less)

"It is better to sleep on things before hand, then to lie awake about them afterward."

-Baltasar Gracian

"Nothing is as far away as one minute ago."

-Jim Bishop

"To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge, requires brians."

-Mary Poole

"Humanity can be quite cold to those whose eyes see the world differently."

-Eric A. Burns

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."

-Albert Einstein

Edited by PryOpenUr3rdEye

''Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.'' -Chief Seattle, 1854

''The old Lakota was wise. He knew that man's heart away from nature becomes hard.'' -Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Sioux

''As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I became civilized." -Ohiyesa, Santee Sioux

"The earth and myself are of one mind." -Chief Seattle, Nez Perce

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." -Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

linked-image

All of the following quotes are from Dostoevsky.

1) Beauty is mysterious as well as terrible. God and devil are fighting there, and the battlefield is the heart of man.

2) If there is no God, everything is permitted.

3) Men do not accept their prophets and slay them, but they love their martyrs and worship those whom they have tortured to death

4) To love someone means to see him as God intended him.