Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Relatively subjective disaster

verax-acis

linked-image

A short hop ago, two young aspiring engineers enrolled in their school’s newest aviation coarse, that promised to make them part of the newest and most cutting edge research in today’s fast changing field of aviation design. But shortly through the program, one of the young engineers became impatient with what he felt was a slow moving course that drug on with unimportant history and grueling technical details of flight construction, so eager, to begin his own aviation project, he quickly decided to drop out of class and begin construction on his own revolutionary design.
Taking advantage of his parents’ country home, and their in exhaustible bank account, the young engineer eagerly began his ambitious project that would be unlike any design before it.
“It must be different than all the others.” He thought “A design that accentuates my remarkably high intelligence, but remains uniquely stylish and punctuates my individually enviable taste.” So in little time he drafted a design and constructed a plane unlike anything before it.
As the young aviator was finishing the last of the construction on his elite aircraft, his friend, who had joined the aviation class with him earlier, stopped by the country home, concerned because he had not seen his friend in class for quite a while. When he arrived he was shocked to find ,in the large north side barn, his friend putting the final touches on a clearly unique aircraft.
Welcoming his friend in, the young aviator gave his friend a proud tour of his revolutionary construction.
“You see.” He boasted “It’s unlike anything that has ever come before it. It will make me stand out from the crowd and show my uniquely fascinating perspective.”
“I think it looks great.” His surprised friend replied. “It’s certainly modern and stylish, but I don’t think it will fly.” At that he quickly retrieved his aviation book and opened it to the chapter on the laws of flight. “You see, this says you can’t maintain some of the features you have added to your plane. According to this book, there are also some things you need to remove. Otherwise your plane won’t fly.
“Listen” the young aviator replied smugly, “The laws of flight were written by man. They are not objective, they are subjective. When it says you should do this or you shouldn’t do that, it doesn’t mean you can’t, it simply means the guy or the group that wrote that book didn’t particularly like that certain concept. If you don’t believe me I can prove it. If the laws of flight were objective then you wouldn’t see so many different aircraft designs. Look in history. There are the old six wing monsters, which we see in black and white films. There are the two wing propeller planes of world war one. There are the latter jets that have no propellers, and the stealth that hardly looks like any previous plane at all. There is even a plane with its wings on backwards. Not to mention hot air balloons, helicopters, blimps and rockets. You see. Those laws of flight in your book were written years ago. They don’t necessarily hold true today. If you’re ever going to stand out you got to think for yourself and break away from that herd mentality.”
His friend considered the matter and concluded he was right. There were so many different designs through history. The laws of flight must be subjective to taste and preference. He nodded in concession.
Glad his friend had seen the light, the young aviator smiled and patted him reassuringly on the shoulder. “Now come on.” He offered enthusiastically “You can ride with me on the historical test flight of my new design.” So the two climbed into the plane, enthusiastic and excited to test the new aircraft.
But although the take off was relatively smooth and the aircraft began to fly like any other, the shortcomings of his design soon became apparent. Situational circumstances and unforeseen technical difficulties arose, fatally disrupting the aircrafts ability to maintain flight. Only now, as their plummeting aircraft fell like a stone, did the two young aviators realized how tragically mistaken their ideas were concerning the inherent nature of flight and the reasons behind the laws that were written long ago.

linked-image

Explanation

This parable was written to parallel the common misconception that morality is subjective to individual taste and preference. The older plane designs parallel moral codes and laws that are either outdated or are not as effective as the newer designs. It illustrates how, although similar, the assortment of laws and codes are not equal.
One of the causes of this misunderstanding is, not everyone is as sensitive to moral choice or a correct line of action. In fact some, like psychopaths, are completely unable to emotionally differentiate the moral level of any action. They might intellectually know what is more frowned upon or what is against the law, but emotionally they see no difference between killing someone and eating breakfast.
Another cause of the misunderstanding stems from the wide variety of circumstances that alter the proper action of a moral choice. The Ten commandments are a broad guide that are commonly the correct choice, but (as the bible illustrates) there are situations that allow you to kill, lie or steal that would be the moral choice in certain circumstances. But this does not mean, like the laws of flight, the moral choice is subject to taste or personal preference.
The third reason for this misunderstanding is the fact that some things are right and some things are more righteous. For instance, if someone harms you or your family it is right to demand justice and receive justice for the wrongdoing, but it is more righteous to forgive the wrongdoing. Again, it is right to spend all the money you have worked hard for, but it is more righteous to give a portion of your money to the poor and those that are in need.
These three variables cause the wide variety of moral systems that we see in history and individuals, but the variety does not mean morality is subjective to taste and personal preference. The wide variety of aircraft does not justify or make equal all aircraft. Some fly better than others. Some moral codes never get off the ground. Some fly for a time but then land their pilots sick of disease, dead or in jail. Some generally work but never experience the exhilaration of jet speed and the joy of top flight. Some, like JESUS, are like alien aircraft. We still don’t know how they fly like that.

linked-image

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• verax-acis

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days