Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's Orion spacecraft to launch next month

UM-Bot

Not "sexy" like the Shuttles, but guess, and hope, it will do the job...

Edited by Aardvark-DK
  • Like 1

Other than the higher orbits, how is this an improvement over the current shuttles if we have to pluck the capsule out of the ocean?

It is good to be alive!

Edited by maximusnow

Not "sexy" like the Shuttles, but guess, and hope, it will do the job...

Oh yeah, those curves on the Atlantis just drove me wild.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 1

Nice. All hopes that the engineering works well.

So each time we go up we leave another bunch of trash behind?

How exactly is this going to be "better" then the shuttle?

Anyway, I'm glad the US is going forward in the Space Launch business.

Other than the higher orbits, how is this an improvement over the current shuttles if we have to pluck the capsule out of the ocean?

Several factors:

1. Safety. The Orion has a launch escape rocket (LES). This means that if something goes wrong with the booster either on the launchpad or during the burning of the first stage, the LES can haul the Orion safely away from the problem below. In the case of the Shuttle, there were no escape options on the launchpad or while the Solid Rocket Boosters were firing.

2. Cost. Shuttle missions cost (according to Wikipedia) something in the region of $1.5 billion each (averaging the total cost of the program over all the launches). I don't have exact figures for Orion, but Delta IV rocket launches (again according to Wikipedia) cost less than $200 million each. Add on an amortised cost of the Orion, and I'm pretty sure each Orion launch would come out a fair bit cheaper than each Shuttle launch.

3. Safety again. The Orion spacecraft sits on top of the booster. That means that if something goes wrong with the booster, the spacecraft is above the problem. The sequence of events which led to the destruction of the Challenger and Columbia space shuttles can't happen with the Orion spacecraft.

4. Mission flexibility. The Orion spacecraft has a single job - moving astronauts around. For that, you stick it on a rocket (in this case a Delta IV Heavy). If you want to do something in addition (like, say, landing on the Moon), you add the necessary components and stick everything onto a different rocket (like, say, the new SLS rocket NASA's developing). By contrast the Space Shuttle tried to be everything and ended up being not much good at anything. This is why the Shuttle ended up being very expensive - for all that it was touted as a re-usable spacecraft it required a lot of expensive and time-consuming reconditioning between flights.

5. Launch flexibility. As long as weather conditions are okay at the launch site, the Orion can be launched. By contrast the Space Shuttle had a number of abort modes during launch which involved landing at various sites in places like North Africa or Easter Island in the Pacific Ocean. For the Space Shuttle to be able to be launched, weather conditions had to be okay at these abort landing sites as well. There were quite a few missions where launches were delayed because weather conditions were unsatisfactory at one or more of the abort landing sites, even though they were okay at the launch site. Launch delays like this were expensive and dangerous (because if the delay was long enough all the fuel on board had to be drained and the whole spacecraft systems reset).

Having said all that, I'm not sure that continuing with the Orion is necessarily a good idea. Two private American companies have developed their own spacecraft intended to launch astronauts, and NASA is buying seats on them. The SpaceX Dragon spacecraft and its boosters are intended to be reusable. I'm not sure about Boeing's CST-100. I'm not sure what the American taxpayer gets out of having Orion in addition to Dragon and CST-100.

2. Cost. Shuttle missions cost (according to Wikipedia) something in the region of $1.5 billion each (averaging the total cost of the program over all the launches). I don't have exact figures for Orion, but Delta IV rocket launches (again according to Wikipedia) cost less than $200 million each. Add on an amortised cost of the Orion, and I'm pretty sure each Orion launch would come out a fair bit cheaper than each Shuttle launch.

There are two major things wrong with this statement. The first is the price you quote for a Delta IV launch. This is the price for the Delta IV Medium variant. The launch cost of the Delta IV Heavy, which will launch the Orion capsule on the EFT-1 mission is (according to wikipedia) $375 million.

The second and major problem with your argument is that the cost of a Delta launch is almost entirely irrelevant. Except for this one test flight the Delta IV is not the launch vehicle for Orion.

NASA is building the Space Launch System (SLS) for that. The SLS is planned to be the most powerful launch vehicle ever constructed. Estimates for the cost per launch of that rocket are in the region of $500 million, but some experts believe that it will be far closer to $2 billion a launch when development costs and other running costs are factored in.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that continuing with the Orion is necessarily a good idea. Two private American companies have developed their own spacecraft intended to launch astronauts, and NASA is buying seats on them. The SpaceX Dragon spacecraft and its boosters are intended to be reusable. I'm not sure about Boeing's CST-100. I'm not sure what the American taxpayer gets out of having Orion in addition to Dragon and CST-100.

You don't seem to be aware of what Orion is actually for. It is a deep space exploration vehicle. That is a role that the CST-100 and the Dragon (at least in its current configuration) are not capable of. They are designed to be space taxis, ferrying astronauts to and from low Earth orbit. Orion is designed to eventually take astronauts to Mars.

If NASA is to once again be the agency it once was then it needs to send astronauts beyond low Earth orbit like it did during the Apollo era. It won't do that with the CST-100 and Dragon.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typos.
  • Like 2

Nice. All hopes that the engineering works well.

They seem to have given themselves a very long time before they plan to put people in it. If all the test flights (no idea how many they will do) go to plan, they have given themselves 5 years before they plan to put a crew in it.

I'm glad no crew on board. I wouldn't even want to be a slug on the next few missions :/

Several factors:

You forgot the most important....Orion is a deep space vehicle. Dragoon and CST is for low orbit. Orion should travel to meteorites, moon and other deep space targets. The private capsules you mention are for low orbit only.

I think it has rather a cool retro look, obviously derived from Apollo. A great chance to demonstrate that they haven't been left behind by these colourful private sector entrepreneurs.

I had a bad run-in with an Orion in a video game, that name shall forever be the bane of my existence.

All nonsense aside, looks cool :)

I had a bad run-in with an Orion in a video game, that name shall forever be the bane of my existence.

All nonsense aside, looks cool :)

It wasn't MechWarrior was it? I loved that game. Haven't played the current online version.

I think it has rather a cool retro look, obviously derived from Apollo. A great chance to demonstrate that they haven't been left behind by these colourful private sector entrepreneurs.

That is what I thought also. I was expecting.... more... I guess. Perhaps it is an iphone where the Apollo was rotary dial?

Funny how the same corporations keep swallowing up all that DC monies...Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, General Dynamics--they'll come up with anything that steals money away from taxpayers...and our good ole boys up in DC just keeps on allowing it...the ole military "INdustREAL" complex....

Edited by NiteMarcher

Ah, so it's a conspiracy to further the militarisation of space, is that what you're saying?

I read that the Orion is being prepared for the launch pad and will be moving there soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Current news on the Orion test mission: The crew vehicle has passed the key flight review, ahead of it's very first launch, planned for December 4th. No astronauts aboard this time, but its only a matter of time, and further tests. This is the first time since 1972 that a space vehicle capable of carrying astronauts has ventured beyond low Earth orbit. If all goes well, this test mission will reach an altitude of 3600 miles. More information, and some very good images of the rocket and crew vehicle. at the linked article, below:

http://www.universet...-4/#more-116400

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Orion crew capsule and supporting systems will be launched into orbit for the first time, tomorrow at 7:05 a.m, Eastern Standard Time (4:05 a.m. Pacific Time, 12:05 hours GMT), barring bad weather. I checked the forecast for South Florida for tomorrow morning. It appears that the weather will not be a problem at that time. A good article on this, linked below, also with background on what led up to the current project, and proposed manned missions for Orion, in the future.

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/3/7322909/orion-test-flight