Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Infection risk posed by cats revealed

cats toxoplasmosis

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Experts say more research is needed into a disease spread by cats after figures show an estimated 350,000 people a year in the UK become infected with toxoplasmosis.

Although only a minority of people - between one and two in every 10 - has symptoms, advisers say extra measures to control the disease may be needed.

The disease is spread by direct contact with cats or eating contaminated food.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19474612

Posted Image

#2    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

ya weird disease makes mice sexually attracted to cat pee (weird) and makes humans very aggressive i hear.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,623 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

My new cat lost his home, because somebody saw this on Dr Oz show.  I think more people get it from under cooked meat than they do from cats.  I have owned cats all my life, I don't know if I have it or not. I think the benefits I get from pet ownership far out way any risks.

http://mritechnician...f-owning-a-cat/

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have five cats, have had cats my whole life. If I have it, i don't know it.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#6    Galilei

Galilei

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have a cat and I love him to pieces. If I had toxoplasmosis, I think it probably would have been picked up by now considering the enormous amount of blood tests I've had this past year and recently since becoming ill.

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,623 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 04 September 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented...
In my neighborhood you could say the same for humans.

View PostGalilei, on 04 September 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

I have a cat and I love him to pieces. If I had toxoplasmosis, I think it probably would have been picked up by now considering the enormous amount of blood tests I've had this past year and recently since becoming ill.

I know what you mean, I have been tested for everything, too. My immune system is compromised by the meds I take for MS. I use gloves when I do the litter box and when I do a full clean I take a shower.   Actually if you don't let them outside you don't really have to worry about it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

"I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented." - Shadow

During the middle ages they hated cats too and that's why they suffered periodic plagues.  Cats kill rats and mice.  That is their role in the ecosystem and what they are good at, to keep down the numbers of rodents.  

Art

#9    Galilei

Galilei

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 04 September 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

In my neighborhood you could say the same for humans.

I know what you mean, I have been tested for everything, too. My immune system is compromised by the meds I take for MS. I use gloves when I do the litter box and when I do a full clean I take a shower.   Actually if you don't let them outside you don't really have to worry about it.

I'm sorry to hear that, Darkwind. My cat doesn't go outside, so I think I'll be okay like you said. :) I, too, use gloves and take a shower afterward due to immune system issues.

Edited by Galilei, 04 September 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#10    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hmm, the most prevalent method of transmission is "Ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison containing Toxoplasma cysts."  wiki source

I guess that doesn't shound as alarming as "Cats makes your brain crazy!"

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 04 September 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

My new cat lost his home, because somebody saw this on Dr Oz show.  I think more people get it from under cooked meat than they do from cats.  I have owned cats all my life, I don't know if I have it or not. I think the benefits I get from pet ownership far out way any risks.

http://mritechnician...f-owning-a-cat/
Are you kidding . That is so ignorant

They saw it on Dr oz,and its true ?
He's the biggest in the pocket of big pharm and establishment ,including fox news,guy ,that there  is.

If cats killed ,there wouodnt be any crazy cat ladies. Just look  on petfinder.com .
How many cat shelters are there,all run by no less than 2 women ,and then all the cat adopters.
There would be an epidemic ,if even 2 in ten people showed symptoms.
They're probably looking for an excuse to euthanize more cats .

Miss me?

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

I've had many cats and I've never gotten anything off of them.  However my son was scratched by a kitten once, not mine, and got cat scratch fever.  He had to go to the doctor and was really sick for a few days.

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Cats spread no disease,and the hunt animals that do . And I'm sure there's and air rifle that will back fire ,with your name on it .

Miss me?

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 September 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Cats spread no disease,and the hunt animals that do . And I'm sure there's and air rifle that will back fire ,with your name on it .
I'm quite sure it won't...... :tu:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,474 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

I hope you get eaten by cats.
They do not spread disease and they are very particular about where they go to the bathroom. You know nothing of felines.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users