Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lessons from the Failed War on Drugs

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,811 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 23 February 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Legalize weed and half the crime due to drugs will end almost over night so to speak. But the funding for a lost war will drop and the government will look like fools.

You can legalise weed properly or legalise weed improperly.

Lets first look at legalising weed properly...

On large scale production, this stuff grows fast and can pump out huge amounts per hectare. You can tax it a little bit but also ensure quality and prices are better than street prices. Because late scale production is possible with high return, most of the cost would probably be in packaging. Through this method; the street market will quickly be squashed out.

It may further cut the usage of other hard drugs as most people are exposed to such through the underground drug culture that they may obtain their weed from.

The ability for residents to own up to one plant each for personal use would be the most ideal.

So, how would we go about this improperly?

Well through taxing it and setting prices higher than the street price as well as quality of product. This keeps up the demand for a cheaper and overall higher quality product. In turn, keeping the underground illegal trade going and the crime that goes with it.

#62    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

View Postdanielost, on 24 February 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

We must be making a dent somewhere.  The dope pushers have to use subs to get it here.  Of, course it would help if Obama stopped giving them guns.

One more thing, if making it legal would stop the illegal, then explain moonshiners.
It's not so much that they have to use subs now.  It is that they made so much money, they can afford to buy subs to ship their product now.  And honestly I would have to say that it would be easier for me to get meth than it would be for me to get cold medicine these days.

Moonshining isn't legal if it is illegal=P

#63    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,547 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Moonshining exists because  Booze is still illegal in  MANY counties .... AND.. because of the TAXES imposed on legal booze.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#64    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 February 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Moonshining exists because  Booze is still illegal in  MANY counties .... AND.. because of the TAXES imposed on legal booze.

Which just means the dope pushers won't go away.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#65    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 23 February 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Legalize weed and half the crime due to drugs will end almost over night so to speak. But the funding for a lost war will drop and the government will look like fools.

Legalize ONLY weed, and those who traffic in the other 99 illegal drugs will still do just fine, thanks very much, including the Cocaine Importing Agency. :innocent:

Otherwise, I agree with legalizing pot.

#66    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,100 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I don't know that the (worldwide) war on addictive drugs has failed.  One could as say the war on burglaries or on rapes or on corruption has failed.  A more reasonable standard than complete eradication is needed to measure law enforcement.

That doesn't mean I don't think we shouldn't constantly study and assess criminal laws.  Making something a crime is a serious business, and tends in and of itself to create more criminals.  It should be pretty obvious to almost everyone by now that although perhaps some restrictions on public pot and things like advertising it can be maintained, for the most part it should be legalized.  I personally have a similar view of heroin, even though it is seriously addictive, people can live normal lives with such an addiction and even pay their own keep if we made it prescribable.

#67    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

There is a huge difference between drugs and rape or burglary, though. It is one thing what I do to my own body, and a whole different story with another one's body or belongings.

#68    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

There is a huge difference between drugs and rape or burglary, though. It is one thing what I do to my own body, and a whole different story with another one's body or belongings.

Until, you have a bad trip or overdose leaving your 20 kids with no parent.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#69    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,100 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Your point is correct, of course, but, still, getting innocent or disturbed kids addicted to things like that for the money does seem criminal to me.  The enforcement needs to deemphasize the addict so long as there are no complicating factors.

#70    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postdanielost, on 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Until, you have a bad trip or overdose leaving your 20 kids with no parent.
I can drink myself to death, too. Or OD on sleeping pills. I see no distinction there.

#71    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Your point is correct, of course, but, still, getting innocent or disturbed kids addicted to things like that for the money does seem criminal to me.  The enforcement needs to deemphasize the addict so long as there are no complicating factors.
Kids are being legally drugged already, for all kinds of reasons. And I was always talking about regulation, which includes age restriction. I know that kids can probably go around that, just like they do it with alcohol now, but you can still take legal action against them or the parents.

#72    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 24 February 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

I can drink myself to death, too. Or OD on sleeping pills. I see no distinction there.

I agree which is why I don't drink or take pills withou talking to a doctor first.  Yes, that useally goes for a headache.

#73    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postdanielost, on 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

I agree which is why I don't drink or take pills withou talking to a doctor first.  Yes, that useally goes for a headache.
So you think alcohol and sleeping pills should be prohibited, too?

#74    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

So you think alcohol and sleeping pills should be prohibited, too?

Alcohol.  Sleeping pills should need a doctors ok first.

As for the kids on meds.  we are giving them too many, useally because they are bored.

#75    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

And what would be the benefit of a prohibition of alcohol? The USA has already been there, and it had a huge impact on crime. Not a very positive one, I might add.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users