Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Take the Impossible “Literacy” Test

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

This week’s Supreme Court decision in Shelby County v. Holder overturned Section 4 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which mandated federal oversight of changes in voting procedure in jurisdictions that have a history of using a “test or device” to impede enfranchisement. Here is one example of such a test, used in Louisiana in 1964.

After the end of the Civil War, would-be black voters in the South faced an array of disproportionate barriers to enfranchisement. The literacy test—supposedly applicable to both white and black prospective voters who couldn’t prove a certain level of education but in actuality disproportionately administered to black voters—was a classic example of one of these barriers.

Update: This test—a word-processed transcript of an original—was linked to by Jeff Schwartz, who worked with the Congress of Racial Equality in Iberville and Tangipahoa Parishes in the summer of 1964. Schwartz wrote about his encounters with the test in this blog post.

Most of the tests collected here are a battery of trivia questions related to civic procedure and citizenship. (Two from the Alabama test: “Name the attorney general of the United States” and “Can you be imprisoned, under Alabama law, for a debt?”)

But this Louisiana “literacy” test, singular among its fellows, has nothing to do with citizenship. Designed to put the applicant through mental contortions, the test's questions are often confusingly worded. If some of them seem unanswerable, that effect was intentional. The (white) registrar would be the ultimate judge of whether an answer was correct.

Attached File  Louisiana literacy test.jpg   158.95K   53 downloads

http://www.slate.com...?wpsrc=upworthy

My personal favourites are question # 1 & 10. I  probably would have flunked. :rofl:

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sadly disenfranchisement is still being attempted in various forms. The Supreme Court ruling might seem like a setback but fortunately the largest attempts will be continued to be challenged. Unfortunately in smaller districts, such as school boards, the price of lawsuits will make that more difficult if even impossible but when it comes to statewide efforts of disenfranchisement they will be acknowledged and addressed in court.

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,111 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

"in the first circle below write the last letter of the first word beginning with 'L'".

:unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,623 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

The Supremes have taken a bold step back into the past. Next session they'll be wearing their quaint wool wigs, to round out their atavistic obeisance to "the way things used to be." I'll retire to Bedlam.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#5    MySummerJob

MySummerJob

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 04 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

"in the first circle below write the last letter of the first word beginning with 'L'".

:unsure2:
I believe the answer would be "T"

The only word starting with "L" in that sentence is "Last" because there is no way they can be that cheap...

Could they be that cheap?

Posted Image

#6    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,566 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostMySummerJob, on 05 July 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

I believe the answer would be "T"

The only word starting with "L" in that sentence is "Last" because there is no way they can be that cheap...

Could they be that cheap?

I´m sorry but you answered incorrectly. The question specifically indicates an upper case "L" so no letter should have been circled.. No vote for you! :rofl:

G.Clinton

#7    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 04 July 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

The Supremes have taken a bold step back into the past. Next session they'll be wearing their quaint wool wigs, to round out their atavistic obeisance to "the way things used to be." I'll retire to Bedlam.

You are actually completely wrong.  The court decided that the old law needed to be updated.  That's Progress!

#8    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,305 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

#1 makes no sense. #11 is a trick question because you have to cross out more than one number 0 to make it one million. And #10 doesn't specify the first word with the letter L in the sentence. I was trying to think of the first word in the dictionary that starts with L.

Posted Image

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,217 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostF3SS, on 05 July 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

#1 makes no sense. #11 is a trick question because you have to cross out more than one number 0 to make it one million. And #10 doesn't specify the first word with the letter L in the sentence. I was trying to think of the first word in the dictionary that starts with L.

The point of the test was to not let people vote, not test their literacy in case you have not noticed.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,305 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 July 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

The point of the test was to not let people vote, not test their literacy in case you have not noticed.

I figured that. It's crazy that in such obvious deceit this was an officially recognized test. I was just commenting on the obvious.

Posted Image

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,217 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostF3SS, on 05 July 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I figured that. It's crazy that in such obvious deceit this was an officially recognized test. I was just commenting on the obvious.

All it took at the time was a state legislature approving the procedure, they could even get away with giving the test only to non-whites. And hat is why the federal voting laws were enacted. They have now been rolled back-- whether they were still needed the future will show.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,566 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostF3SS, on 05 July 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

questioning the validity of the test questions.....no vote for you! :rofl:

G.Clinton

#13    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,343 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postjugoso, on 05 July 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

I´m sorry but you answered incorrectly. The question specifically indicates an upper case "L" so no letter should have been circled.. No vote for you! :rofl:

Actually the answer is "a"... The first (and only) word with a capital "L" is in the heading "Louisiana"... The instruction said nothing about a specific line of text

#14    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,566 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 July 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Actually the answer is "a"... The first (and only) word with a capital "L" is in the heading "Louisiana"... The instruction said nothing about a specific line of text

Damn, no vote for me! :rofl:

G.Clinton

#15    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,343 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postjugoso, on 05 July 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Damn, no vote for me! :rofl:

Yeah... No vote for me either on several of those I'm sure...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users