Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 8 votes

The slenderman myth

myth

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#226    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

These can't all be fake, can they?

Posted Image

The answer is yes.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#227    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,217 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Slender Man is no match for Considerable Man!

#228    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

OMG!

Posted Image

The Operator is out there.  Everywhere.

Edited by Archimedes, 06 March 2013 - 02:10 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#229    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Our differences make us who we are.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

the operator? what is that about?

#230    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostLesionia, on 06 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

the operator? what is that about?
Another name for Slender Man. I've also heard him called the Administrator like he's some sort of weird inter-dimensional bureaucrat.

Posted Image

Operator symbol and graffiti.  Some people say the operator symbol helps keep him away.  Some say it attracts him.  Some say he is capricious and cruel and toys with people who think symbols mean anything to him.

Edited by Archimedes, 06 March 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#231    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

The slenderman myth is a good one...I must admit. But seriously, the people who believe that slenderman exists need to take a dose of reality. He's not real, however, this could make for an interesting paper about myths and legends for those who might be studying myths and legends in school.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#232    Podo

Podo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

The Slenderman phenomenon is interesting because it allows those of us not inclined to believe insane stories to watch the creation of a folktale. I'm sure that situations such as this have happened many times in the course of human history. Someone creates an idea that scares someone else. That person tells the story, who tells it to someone else, and so on. Eventually the story loses context, someone takes it for reality, and "sees" the thing. Then, reports come in on the validity of the claim (entirely fabricated), and a legend is born.

Is Slenderman real? Of course not. He's still a great story, a great invention, and a fascinating phenomenon to observe.

Send me hyren bringing rain, cleansing wounds and easing pain. But if with lightning storms they play, keep them very far away.

#233    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,217 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostPodo, on 07 March 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

The Slenderman phenomenon is interesting because it allows those of us not inclined to believe insane stories to watch the creation of a folktale.

I am still pushing my 'Considerable Man' myth.
He dresses all in black to make himself look slimmer.
He has a fat face, fat body, fat limbs, and he chases you for a very short time.

#234    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hmm...

Posted Image

#235    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postacute alan, on 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

I am still pushing my 'Considerable Man' myth.
He dresses all in black to make himself look slimmer.
He has a fat face, fat body, fat limbs, and he chases you for a very short time.

And he could hang out at people's houses and eat all their food when they are not there. Then watch their tv and leave it on after he leaves someone's house.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#236    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Could Considerable Man conceivably become Slender Man and vise versa?
It's only a matter of diet and exercise.
Maybe then you'd get Yo-Yo Man.

#237    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 05 March 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Im down for that, where do we start?

This is unchartered territory - there are no set guidelines for creating a legend so the best we can do is to try to understand how this one (and others) took hold. So in the tradition of paranormal research lets just make it up as we go along and see what happens. However we should be aware that the very act of openly discussing how to create a legend may be detrimental to the process of actually creating one. But if we perhaps learn something and have some fun whilst doing so then it won't be a complete waste of time.

Can the demographic that Slenderman appeals to be identified?
What is the appeal of Slenderman? (ie What is his particular market niche?)
What are Slenderman's similarities to other bogey-figures?
What are the differences to other bogey-figures?

Here's my take:

Imagery and symbolism are imporatant in that they give form to ambiguity.

Slenderman is a man (never a woman) so that generally stresses parental authority and discipline (rather than nurturing and caring). Similarly he always appears in a black suit and tie which again stresses a very formal authority. Most people live in city and suburban areas so the formation of a bogey-figure in formal attire is completely appropriate.

Authority can be very scary in itself in that it dictates codes of behaviour (laws), modes of acceptable thought (morals and science), and has the ability to reprimand and punish at its own whim. In effect, authority can legitimately do terrible things to you (take you away from your loved ones, condemn you to Hell, inflict pain, and even take your life) which creates feelings of fear and helplessness. The alternate terms for Slenderman - Administrator and Operator - again suggest bureaucratic authority and planned procedural efficiency as key themes.

Slenderman is depicted with long and sometimes multiple insect-like arms or alternatively tentacles which signifies a great reach (nowhere to hide) and the all-pervasive touch of corruption - literally the long-arm-of-the-law (power of authority) and the tentacles-of-crime (power of outlaw) there is nowhere that is safe. Furthermore the combination of human features with insect- or cephalopod-features (two orders of animals which in themselves are traditional sources of fear and are so widely alien from the familiar mammilian-experience) creates a very unsettling and unreconcilable image.

I could keep going but I am content to get the ball rolling and invite the perceptions and interpretations of others...

Edited by Night Walker, 08 March 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#238    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

Wow, Night Walker! I now believer in him just from your detailed psychological profile of Slender Man's persona.
Excellent ball roll! :tsu:

Further, about this new myth be created "in situ":
I'd like to know where he is likely to be seen.
Who is most likely to see him?
Why does he appear to some? Does he foretell of something?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 08 March 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#239    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

You know what...

I can imagine a new Internet urban myth called 'Considerable Man' or 'Fat Man' or '<insert euphemism for fat here> Man'.

Look out for 'blob man' or 'fat man' or 'considerable man' or '<whatever> man' in the near future.

Boink.

#240    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,217 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 07 March 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Hmm...

Posted Image

OMG!!!
Irrefutable evidence of Considerable Man!

Good work, Archimedes. :tu:

Also tagged with myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users