Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolphin's bill of rights:'non human persons'

Still Waters

Dolphins are so intelligent that they should be thought of as ‘non-human persons’ and given their own bill of rights, it is claimed.

A coalition of scientists, philosophers and animal welfare groups have come up with a declaration of dolphin rights which they hope will one day be enshrined in law.

This would stop them being kept in zoos and waterparks, and being attacked by fishermen.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• FLOMBIE

• d e v i c e

• AbsurdistMe

This sounds really stupid. At least all mammals have feelings, and they all have an individual character. Who decides which animal is smart enough, and which is not? What about crows? They are thought to be smarter than dolphins. Apes? I believe somebody did not think far enough.

On the other hand, if dolphins would be treated as persons, and crimnes commited against them would be persecuted, what about crimes commited by them? Fungi the dolphin on trial, sweet!

This sounds really stupid. At least all mammals have feelings, and they all have an individual character. Who decides which animal is smart enough, and which is not? What about crows? They are thought to be smarter than dolphins. Apes? I believe somebody did not think far enough.

On the other hand, if dolphins would be treated as persons, and crimnes commited against them would be persecuted, what about crimes commited by them? Fungi the dolphin on trial, sweet!

Well, Flombie, at least it's a start. They are beautiful and intelligent creatures so why not? And if one ever does get rousted for possession or something I BET they'll be able to find an attorney! :w00t:

I think it is bordering in insane. Yet, the idea has merit.

It is insane because it is not really a bill of rights is it? What rights are Dolphins demanding? If they are not asking for rights, how does anyone know they are getting what they want. And what Dolphin is going to be the founding forefather of Dolphins and sign the bill? Or in this day an age, can an electronically recorded squeak be considered a signature? Dolphins might be smart (er than most other animal species on the planet) the might be cute (in the eye of the beholder) but at the end of the day they are wild animals. Instead of thinking of flipper, think of a wild dog. It's closer to the mark. Dolphins kill and rape - humans as well as their own species. How will that fit into the bill, and will this bill protect baby Dolphins from infanticide? Absolute nonsense, its the pipe dream of someone's inner hippy.

From the article - this view of Dolphins makes one see them in a pleasent light:

There are also examples of them grieving for lost calves, feeding ailing pod mates and co-operating with fishermen when there is a meal in it for them.

In Laguna, Brazil, when a shoal of fish enters the lagoon, the dolphins herd it towards the fishermen. Any fish that escape their nets provide an easy meal.

At Dingle, south-west Ireland, a bottlenose nicknamed Fungi regularly entertains sightseers in boats.

Perhaps the most striking example of dolphin intelligence involves Kelly, a member of a pod at the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi which were rewarded with fish for clearing up litter from their pool.

Each piece of litter equated to one fish. To raise her intake of fish, Kelly tore the litter into pieces and presented them one by one.

One day, she caught a gull and was given a large haul of fish for her efforts.

She then started to use the fish she won for litter picking to lure gulls into her jaws.

She also taught the tactic to her calf, which passed it on to other youngsters in the pod.

One appropriate term I have seen used for this mindset is Mystical Dolphin Love.

In reality, it's not like that, as I said, Dolphins are wild animals, just like one's on land, but in the water. Imagine a wild dog that size bounding up to you.

Dolphins are not gentle or psychic. If they could talk they would not impart eco-wisdom or deep spiritual truth. Dolphins are violent predators with a predilection for baby killing and rape. I feel it's my duty to warn you, despite the risk of insulting creatures made of hundreds of pounds of muscle and rows of sharp teeth. Throw out your rainbow dolphin painting , and check out dolphins' low-down dirty secrets:

--Dolphin sex can be violent and coercive. Gangs of two or three male bottlenose dolphins isolate a single female from the pod and forcibly mate with her, sometimes for weeks at a time. To keep her in line, they make aggressive noises, threatening movements, and even smack her around with their tails. And if she tries to swim away, they chase her down. Horny dolphins have also been known to target human swimmers -Demi Moore is rumored to have had a close encounter of the finny kind.

--Dolphins kill harbor porpoise babies. In Scotland, scientists found baby harbor porpoises washed up with horrific internal injuries. They thought the porpoises might have been killed by weapons tests until they found the toothmarks. Later, dolphins were caught on film pulping the baby porpoises-the dolphins even used their ecolocation to aim their blow at the porpoises' vital organs.

--Dolphins kill their own babies. Baby dolphins have washed up alongside the dead porpoises, and some scientists think that all the porpoise-slaughter was just practice for some old-fashioned infanticide . For other mammals like lions, killing the babies makes the females immediately ready for the next pregnancy, and maybe that's the case with dolphins, too.

The scariest part is dolphins can wreak havoc day and night without sleeping. A recent study found that dolphins could stay awake for five days straight with no loss of mental acuity. The dolphins didn't even need to make up sleep at the end of the study, though the scientists sure did.

LINK

But as I said, there might be a positive side as well. The article also states:

The bill of rights states that every individual member of the cetacean order – whales, dolphins and porpoises – has a right to life.

Maybe we can use this to stop the Japanse Slaughters that are carried out every year. After the USA stuffed the 1982 whaling moratorium, nobody has been able to so much as slow the barbaric practise that benefits nobody and is merely an exercise in national pride. Japan is using weak excuses to kill Whales, maybe we can use a weak excuse to stop them?

So maybe the idea might be a good one. Nutty as it is.

Edited by psyche101

I couldn't agree more. Rights for the dolphins. Especially since they're third density like us. To quote again an L/LResearch transcript:

"D: Speaking of the bottom of the ocean, what can you tell me about dolphins?

I am Latwii, and my brother, we can say many things about dolphins. We, of course, do not suppose to give biology lessons, but may remark in passing that the creatures which are known to you as dolphins are much more than animals which swim in the deep, for these creatures have, for many of your years, possessed the prize of the human form which is called the extension of the brain complex known as the frontal lobes, and, therefore, this creature does have the intelligence that exceeds many of your so-called second-density creatures, and is able to communicate with those of its own kind, and other entities as well, on a level which you may describe as telepathic.

Is there any further specific information regarding this creature which you ask about at this time, my brother?

D: What is their evolutionary track? How did they become dolphins?

I am Latwii, and, my brother, in this regard we may say that the creatures known to you as dolphins have progressed upon a path which is in, shall we say, somewhat of a balance or opposition to the path which the humanoid creatures of your kind have traveled. Those of the homo sapien nature have traveled a path that has, for the most part, been a dusty one and one which has remained upon the land. The creatures known to you as dolphins have traveled a path which has been somewhat more moist. This path has included the single-celled creatures of the ocean which have developed over a period of time the nature of the vertebrate, which has included the knobby protrusion at one end known as the brain.

This continuing evolution of complexity of the nervous system has developed additional parts of this brain which have corollaries to your cortex and thinking processes. The continuing development through various forms of what you would call fishes has progressed to the aquatic form of a mammal, which has reached its zenith upon this planet in the ones which you call dolphins and some forms of the creatures which you call whales, in that these creatures have been able to develop an additional portion of the brain organ which we have referred to previously as the frontal lobes, and in this regard have activated an energy center which has allowed them the communication which might be called telepathic.

Is there any further way which we might be of service to you in this regard, my brother?

D: What’s the density of the dolphin?

I am Latwii, and, my brother, we might suggest to you that, as you are aware, many creatures upon your planet now, including the human form, possess the body of the fourth density in activation and this is also the case with the creatures known to you as dolphins."

Of course there is more about dolphins here: llresearch.org/transcripts/issues/1981/1981_1129.aspx

But then of course, who are we to give them rights, and what are rights? Food for thought.

Well, Flombie, at least it's a start. They are beautiful and intelligent creatures so why not? And if one ever does get rousted for possession or something I BET they'll be able to find an attorney! :w00t:

A start with what? Being shallow? Let's give special rights to dolphins because they are beautiful and intelligent (supposedly), and let's treat all the other animals like crap because they are not. No, I won't be going there.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Wow, this is a major step. It's about time, but we need to realize that all animals are self aware. Horses, primates, cats, dogs - sheesh, everyione needs to open their eyes.

At least this is a beginning.

All animals should be treated with respect but if a line has to be drawn I think rights should come with self awareness

Sometimes I despair with the comments posted on UM.:hmm:

Dolphins (and all Cetaceans for that matter) have long been postulated as having higher brain functions, in excess of Chimps, and so it is required of us "humans" to understand and respect this.The supposed "Bill of Rights" for Cetaceans is not THEIR Bill of Rights, it is simply a recognition of Homo Sapien Sapiens NOT to have the right to imprison or murder these creatures.

YES, they exhibit all of the failings of the human race, but if they are truly aware, then they have the right to live without the tyranny of Homo Sapien Sapiens, and bloodthirsty need to eat their flesh. disgust.gif

They can have all the rights we can give them, humans have all kinds of rights, still doesn't stop the killing and abusing of tens of thousands of humans each year. The only real difference is that fishing operations would have to pay a fine for killing whales and dolphins which, in the end, doesn't really benefit them.

They can have all the rights we can give them, humans have all kinds of rights, still doesn't stop the killing and abusing of tens of thousands of humans each year. The only real difference is that fishing operations would have to pay a fine for killing whales and dolphins which, in the end, doesn't really benefit them.

You are right of course, except that killing whales and dolphins gives them an economic return. There are plenty of lower order creatures ( with no sense of "being") such as Squid, Cod , Hake, Salmon etc that can feed the population.

Killing cetaceans as a a by - product of commercial fishing is unfortunately, part of the process- but it just may cause the fishing industry to pause, and reconsider the methods employed. IMO

This is a good move, regardless of how you want to view it. Considering how little we know about creatures on earth, more respect is better than the status-quo. It's a bit arrogant to assert that dolphins are just stupid animals.

Sometimes I despair with the comments posted on UM.:hmm:

[...]

Are you referring to my posts? I do not see anything bad about it. I just do not see the sense in treating one animal over the others.

Let's be honest, dolphins are only picked because they are loved by so many people. For their supposed beauty and intellect, and for the myth of them being perfectly peaceful creatures, who even intentionally rescue humans.

But are they really that exceptionally intelligent? There are so many animals who'd deserve that as well: Parrots or crows, who are maybe the best problem solvers; cows, who show emotions and empathy; octopuses, who demonstrate a wide range of intelligent behavior; rats, who live in very well working social communities and are able to escape almost every maze; or even pigs, who are thought to be a tad smarter than dogs, would all be left behind. And I did not even mention apes and other monkeys (well, I just did ^_^ ). It is a long list of animals.

I was trying to say that we should not treat 'our' favorite animal better than others, they might not be that exceptional as one thinks. I am all with trancelikestate's comment: Treat them all the same! And certainly not one over the others for beauty and intellect, which is just shallow, and nothing else. But after all, that is one of the most common human traits. :hmm:

EDIT:

You are right of course, except that killing whales and dolphins gives them an economic return. There are plenty of lower order creatures ( with no sense of "being") such as Squid, Cod , Hake, Salmon etc that can feed the population.

Killing cetaceans as a a by - product of commercial fishing is unfortunately, part of the process- but it just may cause the fishing industry to pause, and reconsider the methods employed. IMO

See, that is what I meant. Squid show extraordinary intelligent behavior. You should see a couple of humboldt squids hunting.

Edited by FLOMBIE

In their own environment they are far superior to humans,and they even "talk" to each other miles away,without cell phones.They help us when we get in trouble in the water,and we help them if we find them stranded,so why not protect them !,instead of killing them as some nations do.

Perhaps this is a prologue for Aliens having rights on earth. 'Non human persons'

In their own environment they are far superior to humans,and they even "talk" to each other miles away,without cell phones.They help us when we get in trouble in the water,and we help them if we find them stranded,so why not protect them !,instead of killing them as some nations do.

That's a myth, or a misconception, however you want to see it.

At the end of the day - since we are trying to take the moral highground here - man should treat all living things with respect, includung the Dolphin. Its win/win. For me, the fact of their mere existence has given them the right to be. Man shouldn't put himself first all the time. Why not? Because then the world will end up, well, the way it is now.

Its good to know that people are at least considering a path towards securing the survival of other species.

I recommend the book Grandfather by Tom Brown to anyone interested in this topic. Its the biography of Mr Brown's childhood mentor, a native American shaman who spent most of his life walking across North and South America.

One of the lessons in the book (something native Americans have known for thousands of years) is that humans can help ecosystems achieve a level of balance and prosperity that nature alone cannot, making us an essential part of this biosphere.

Perhaps that was implied by the god of the Hebrew bible when he said man has dominion over the Earth. Though we have taken it as meaning that we can consume and destroy as much as we want. Since when has a purely selfish political philosophy lead to long term prosperity for a nation? And so it is the same with our relationship to nature.

Rules of common sense in regards to nature need to be developed and enforced globally. Sadly, only the Bush/CIA NWO is in a position to do such a thing, but they only seem interested in GM crops, Chemtrails, fraking and oil wars.

What a world, what a world....

This is a good move, regardless of how you want to view it. Considering how little we know about creatures on earth, more respect is better than the status-quo. It's a bit arrogant to assert that dolphins are just stupid animals.

And what about the 'stupid' animals. Dont they deserve a Bill of Rights also?

No, they dont. Neither do the initelligent ones.

I think it is a total waste of time and money giving any animal a Bill of Rights. All animals have the right to live in their own environment without the fear of being killed by us humans. BUT....we humans do eat meat, we hunt for food, we raise cattle etc for food, which is fine. What we should not be doing is hunting any creature just for pure fun, sport, or the misguided beliefs that their body parts/fluids will assist you in your daily health or sex drive.

By all means give them protection, but I think a Bill of Rights is going a little too far :)

And what about the 'stupid' animals. Dont they deserve a Bill of Rights also?

Actually yes, they do. The fact of their mere existence has given them that right. Its not about 'intelligence' or 'self awareness' - not for me, because that would exclude a hell of a lot of people from their rights as human beings!! "Oh, but what about the viruses and bacteria and poisonous snakes?" It doesn't matter. Man should figure out ways to live in harmony with his environment without killing, killing, killing. It's his whole mind-set which needs to 'evolve'.

By all means give them protection, but I think a Bill of Rights is going a little too far

I don't think so. Animals have our protection all around the world but they're still mistreated and abused. Many are now extinct or waiting to be. A Bill of Rights for the Dolphin would spell it out to everybody "This is something we take very seriously and you should too." It would then set a precedent for other members of the animal kingdom.

Actually yes, they do. The fact of their mere existence has given them that right. Its not about 'intelligence' or 'self awareness' - not for me, because that would exclude a hell of a lot of people from their rights as human beings!! "Oh, but what about the viruses and bacteria and poisonous snakes?" It doesn't matter. Man should figure out ways to live in harmony with his environment without killing, killing, killing. It's his whole mind-set which needs to 'evolve'.

I don't think so. Animals have our protection all around the world but they're still mistreated and abused. Many are now extinct or waiting to be. A Bill of Rights for the Dolphin would spell it out to everybody "This is something we take very seriously and you should too." It would then set a precedent for other members of the animal kingdom.

And you honestly believe a Bill of Rights would give them any more protection than they already have? I dont :)