Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

What Is The Christian View On The Dinosaur?


  • Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#601    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostArbitran, on 26 June 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

Infinity isn't a number. It is a mathematical concept, but it is not technically an integer.
LOL Many numbers aren't technically integers.  In mathematics infinity is a conceptual number that's unattainable but often approached.   You're really groping if you have the need to argue with me about how I can't use infinity like a number in mathematics.  Why don't you take some Calculus while you read up on your Narnia?   You're starting to reveal a pattern of over-talk about subjects you know little or nothing about.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#602    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostYamato, on 26 June 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

LOL Many numbers aren't technically integers.  In mathematics infinity is a conceptual number that's unattainable but often approached.   You're really groping if you have the need to argue with me about how I can't use infinity like a number in mathematics.  Why don't you take some Calculus while you read up on your Narnia?   You're starting to reveal a pattern of over-talk about subjects you know little or nothing about.

Odd. I don't claim to be an expert on mathematics, but I do know enough to say that infinity cannot be reached, or exceeded, given it is not technically an integer, as I've said. As for Narnia, what would you like to know? I've read the entire series a number of times.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#603    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostYamato, on 26 June 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

This is the same question repackaged in new rhetoric.  I've already answered it.  How can you possibly not understand my answer?   I will add love and forgiveness to what else you're pretending deaf to.

And you wouldn't have learned love and forgiveness without Narnia? Where, precisely, in the Chronicles of Narnia were you taught these virtues, incidentally?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#604    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostArbitran, on 26 June 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

And you wouldn't have learned love and forgiveness without Narnia? Where, precisely, in the Chronicles of Narnia were you taught these virtues, incidentally?
Very good!  I might not have learned love and forgiveness without Christianity.   Can you now acknowledge what you just stumbled into or is pooping on it a full time job?

Precisely, why?  What does such precision matter to you for?   Again, the "exact text" is neither relevant nor known.   Attempting or implying to deny that the stories convey these and other virtues is the same old hat.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#605    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostArbitran, on 26 June 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Odd. I don't claim to be an expert on mathematics, but I do know enough to say that infinity cannot be reached, or exceeded, given it is not technically an integer, as I've said. As for Narnia, what would you like to know? I've read the entire series a number of times.
No, there are plenty of numbers that aren't integers that can be reached or exceeded.   There are even an infinite number of values between two integers.

As for Narnia what would I like to know?  I'd like to know the parts that teach love and forgiveness.  Can you at least handle that much?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#606    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostYamato, on 26 June 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Very good!  I might not have learned love and forgiveness without Christianity.   Can you now acknowledge what you just stumbled into or is pooping on it a full time job?

Precisely, why?  What does such precision matter to you for?   Again, the "exact text" is neither relevant nor known.   Attempting or implying to deny that the stories convey these and other virtues is the same old hat.

I feel sorry if you had to learn love and forgiveness from Christianity. The rest of us can do it on our own.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#607    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostYamato, on 26 June 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

No, there are plenty of numbers that aren't integers that can be reached or exceeded.   There are even an infinite number of values between two integers.

As for Narnia what would I like to know?  I'd like to know the parts that teach love and forgiveness.  Can you at least handle that much?

That's precisely my point: where in Narnia do you think these virtues are taught? (this is an immense digression, by the way)

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#608    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,158 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostArbitran, on 27 June 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

I feel sorry if you had to learn love and forgiveness from Christianity.

You mean bad love and unforgivness right?


#609    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostYamato, on 19 June 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

There are places science can't go.   Science doesn't ask:  Why peace?   Why kindness?   Why forgiveness?   Why love?   Why redemption?    Why responsibility?   Why morality?  

That's religion's job!  Suit it up!   Unless...unless we expect the government to do all of that for us.   *shudders*

Atheists seem to believe morality is created out of thin air the way Keynesians think money is.   Sometimes their explanation is that they were lucky enough to have good parents.  Oh I love that one.  How convenient!   Sorry, killing off God and trusting in the nature of man sounds like a bad idea.   To be fair, I won't let the theists have any 6,000 year old dinosaurs either.   ;)

There is an alternative to religion in that respect and it's called philosophy.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.


#610    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostArbitran, on 27 June 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

I feel sorry if you had to learn love and forgiveness from Christianity. The rest of us can do it on our own.
Yeah, your "One must weigh the pros and cons of following the Golden Rule" moral code that you were born with is a thing of wonder, truly.   If you'll sacrifice your morality for your diet, you're the reason religion exists.  The truth is, the only thing you could repeat about your own morality gets sold up the river at the first sign of trouble.  What "exact text" is that from?   Sorry, but your flaky is no better than their disciplined.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#611    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostArbitran, on 27 June 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

That's precisely my point: where in Narnia do you think these virtues are taught? (this is an immense digression, by the way)
You'll never run out of digressions, that's clear.   If you start a new topic about Narnia I will be all over it.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#612    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 27 June 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

There is an alternative to religion in that respect and it's called philosophy.
It's an overlap, not an alternative.  Philosophy isn't inherently moral.   You wind up with Leo Strauss teaching Machiavelli and a gangpile of zionist neocons starting preemptive wars on people half the world away who have never attacked us.  Bueller?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#613    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostYamato, on 27 June 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

   If you start a new topic about Narnia I will be all over it.

I thought for a while this topic was about Narnia...it's been so long since anyone has mentioned dinosaurs..the topic itself soon will be  Jurassic  lol  :P

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#614    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,608 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 27 June 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

I thought for a while this topic was about Narnia...it's been so long since anyone has mentioned dinosaurs..the topic itself soon will be  Jurassic  lol  :P
Actually T-Rex was God.

Sorry about that, South Americans!  Giganotosaurus is merely a contender.  ;)

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#615    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostYamato, on 27 June 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Actually T-Rex was God.



The angry, flesh eating, blood spilling,  power hungry mad creature of the old testament......It all adds up  lol :w00t:

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users