Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New pope's washing of women's feet is final

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=HPBucket

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,963 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have heard that Jesuits tend to shake things up a bit and like to stray from tradition. Good for him!! I may not believe in nor like everything he does and stands for, but I'm all for anyone who shakes the dust off things.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,223 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

washing women's feet? Whatever next. it'll be like 50 Shades of Green before you know it. :blush:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

I must admit, though, seriously for a moment, all this

While serving as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Francis' efforts to revive the old Latin Mass so dear to Benedict and traditionalists were "non-existent."
As a result, no one should have been surprised when Francis emerged from the loggia of St. Peter's Basilica on the night of March 13 without the ermine-rimmed red velvet cape, or mozzetta, used by popes past for official duties, wearing instead the simple white cassock of the papacy.
does sound suspiciously like the kind of embarassing dress-down "informality" that people like "Call me Tony" Blair thought was Modern and Dynamic. I do think a Pope ought to be surrounded by Pomp and all that kind of thing, really, it does kind of show that you have respect for the position and you do recognise how influential it is. It only seems right, somehow. It needn't mean that you don't have to want to do good works or want to make the Church more relevant, which is an entirely admirable thing.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,362 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm not catholic but the man is a character.  Keep it coming Francis and get rid of the traditional pomp, its outlived itself.

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,963 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 April 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

does sound suspiciously like the kind of embarassing dress-down "informality" that people like "Call me Tony" Blair thought was Modern and Dynamic. I do think a Pope ought to be surrounded by Pomp and all that kind of thing, really, it does kind of show that you have respect for the position and you do recognise how influential it is. It only seems right, somehow. It needn't mean that you don't have to want to do good works or want to make the Church more relevant, which is an entirely admirable thing.

Well since he is the head of the church, he can change things as he sees fit. A lot of people think the pomp and circumstance is over the top. I am all for tradition. I think it's cool, to be honest, but if they want to draw people back into the fold, change needs to happen. All the cardinals recognised this when they put Francis in place.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

This reminds me of some of the Templar stories I've read. Like how the Templars stayed overnight in Mosques etc when traveling and they said how kind the Muslim people where to them and how they treated them with respect etc.... Then the Vatican and King of France both called it Heresy and made up loads of horrible things about them being involve din Satanic rituals.

I think the fact he washed a Muslims feet shows that he might well follow god and not the corrupt Vatican. This could be a very good thing.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostCoffey, on 02 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

This reminds me of some of the Templar stories I've read. Like how the Templars stayed overnight in Mosques etc when traveling and they said how kind the Muslim people where to them and how they treated them with respect etc.... Then the Vatican and King of France both called it Heresy and made up loads of horrible things about them being involve din Satanic rituals.

I think the fact he washed a Muslims feet shows that he might well follow god and not the corrupt Vatican. This could be a very good thing.
And of course, for once, there is a sound Biblical precedent for this tradition, which those who are criticising seem to forget.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 April 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

And of course, for once, there is a sound Biblical precedent for this tradition, which those who are criticising seem to forget.

How do you mean?

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,098 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostCoffey, on 02 April 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

How do you mean?

http://www.biblegate...-17&version=NIV

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Ah I see...

Well the pope being elected by human beings isn't biblical either. God chose the pope, not some humans. Yet they don't mind that. That is what annoys me about people who follow it to the extreme, they always say it has to be the way it is written etc, but they pick and chose other things if it suits them. lol

Edited by Coffey, 02 April 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#12    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

"Pope Francis has won over many hearts and minds with his simple style and focus on serving the world's poorest, but he has devastated traditionalist Catholics who adored his predecessor, Benedict XVI, for restoring much of the traditional pomp to the papacy."

That made me LOL! Come on! Is Nicole Winfield a Catholic working for Fox?

Edited by Star of the Sea, 02 April 2013 - 06:13 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#13    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is Nicole Winfield a Catholic working for Fox?

No, she's an Associated Press writer, a syndication service that many American news outlets subscribe to. I am unsure why this article was posted fron Fox, but here it is at the AP site, with a much nicer layout:

http://bigstory.ap.o...traditionalists

She's obviously been filing from Rome a lot lately. I don't know whether she's Catholic, or it's just that Rome is very pleasant this time of year :) .

http://bigstory.ap.o...nicole-winfield

Edited by eight bits, 02 April 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Posted Image

#14    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Posteight bits, on 02 April 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

No, she's an Associated Press writer, a syndication service that many American news outlets subscribe to. I am unsure why this article was posted from Fox, but here it is at the AP site, with a much nicer layout:

http://bigstory.ap.o...traditionalists

She's obviously been filing from Rome a lot lately. I don't know whether she's Catholic, or it's just that Rome is very pleasant this time of year :) .

http://bigstory.ap.o...nicole-winfield

Thanks 8ty! She obviously loves spring in Rome :whistle:  There maybe Catholics who are a little surprised, but devasted?

But, lest one become lost in minutiae, we are talking about the pope, here. The 1983 Code of Canon Law states that “the bishop of the Roman Church, in whom continues the office given by the Lord uniquely to Peter, the first of the Apostles, and to be transmitted to his successors, is the head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ, and the pastor of the universal Church on earth. By virtue of his office he possesses supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power in the Church, which he is always able to exercise freely” (1983 CIC c. 331). Of course, there are things that no pope could ever do. For instance, popes can neither ordain women to the priesthood nor consecrate invalid matter at the altar. But we’re talking about an optional rite—the so-called mandatum—and not one of those things.

He can wash the feet of whom ever he chooses. The Cardinals chose a 'Jesuit' Pontiff knowing full well the implications. The 'S.J.'s (Society of Jesuits) are not called 'God's Marines' for nothing. This is only the beginning :gun:

Edited by Star of the Sea, 02 April 2013 - 07:27 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#15    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

He can wash the feet of whom ever he chooses.

So I would have thought. I am mystified how anybody could call themselves a "Catholic traditionalist" and think that a Pope would need somebody else's permission for something like this.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users