Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Dolphins recognized as non-human persons

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

POPULAR

According to this Deutsche Welle article;

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons, whose rights to life and liberty must be respected. Dolphin parks that were being built across the country will instead be shut down."

... and thanks for all the fish. :)

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,931 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yup, that's what I think of them too.  If they had an opposing digit they could use to grip and make tools with, well they would be so much smarter - aw heck, no they wouldn't bother with all that tech stuff even then, they are far too intelligent to mess with perfection and boy do they milk the perfection of their environment and their adaptation to it for all it's worth, clever animals to get so much life out of living with nothing more useful than flippers, a tail, and a quirky smile, I love them.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

The are smart and one of these days we had better hope they don't put us on display.

#4    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

If you have ever seen the 1960's American TV series "Flipper," you would know that dolphins are always 'smiling,' constantly cheerful, mostly cooperative, play well with each other, appear to enjoy life and have never been known to start a war---clearly not anywhere near human. . .

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#5    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

What's with all the other super smart animals? You either do this to all of them, or to none.

View Postszentgyorgy, on 27 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

If you have ever seen the 1960's American TV series "Flipper," you would know that dolphins are always 'smiling,' constantly cheerful, mostly cooperative, play well with each other, appear to enjoy life and have never been known to start a war---clearly not anywhere near human. . .
That's not the case at all. It's a TV show. Do you think collies act like Lessie, and horses like Fury?

Edited by FLOMBIE, 27 May 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#6    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 27 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Except they attack porpoises on sight for no apparent reason.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#7    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,101 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 May 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yup, that's what I think of them too.  If they had an opposing digit they could use to grip and make tools with, well they would be so much smarter - aw heck, no they wouldn't bother with all that tech stuff even then, they are far too intelligent to mess with perfection and boy do they milk the perfection of their environment and their adaptation to it for all it's worth, clever animals to get so much life out of living with nothing more useful than flippers, a tail, and a quirky smile, I love them.
In some fantasy world, but in reality (as Almagest pointed out, already):

But perhaps the most perplexing assassin is none other than Flipper. Bottlenose dolphin males target harbor porpoises, ramming and lacerating them to death by the dozen. Though related to bottlenoses, porpoises eat different fish, so are not competing for resources. Scientists suspect that bottlenose males may be practicing baby-killing techniques. Dolphin young are about the same size as porpoises and are also frequent victims of adult aggression, for a logical reason from the male's point of view: A mother dolphin will not breed--unless her calf dies young.
(link; emphasis mine)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#8    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Indeed. People should stop seeing them as magical creatures. They have flaws - just like any other animal.

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,458 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 May 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

What's with all the other super smart animals? You either do this to all of them, or to none.

Like dogs.

Do you think collies act like Lessie,

Yes, but only in some ways.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#10    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 May 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Like dogs.
And cats, crows, pigs, orcas, great apes, wolves, etc.. The list is darn long.

Yes, but only in some ways.
Probably. I'm sure you know better than I do, but I guess you know what I meant to say. :)

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

POPULAR

Well, I'm glad to finally be recognized as a non-human person.
It's a step in the right direction.

:passifier:

#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,805 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 May 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Indeed. People should stop seeing them as magical creatures. They have flaws - just like any other animal.

Like humans.  :tu:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

"India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons,"

=========================================================

This coming from a country who have nuclear weapons!

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#14    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 27 May 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Like humans.  :tu:
Like I said, any other animal. :)

#15    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Were gonna have to have a dolphin police force i think. Cos just like humans some of them are thieving , kidnapping, raping, murdering  b*******.
We have quite alot in common.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users