Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do you lose 21 grams when you die?

wrathofkahn

How come when a person dies, 21 grams is lifted from their weight? Don't you find that a little eerie? Lemme hear what you guys and gals have to say! blink.gif

How come when a person dies, 21 grams is lifted from their weight? Don't you find that a little eerie? Lemme hear what you guys and gals have to say! blink.gif

Would the air the we breath and the the movement of are organs make up the 24 grams?

what about the waste (poop and stuff!) the body expels when someone dies? Does that count?

21 grams is lifted from their weight

I'd never heard that. What is your source? And please don't send me to some website, list a creditable source.

Here's some info on it.

Not saying I believe it, but it's interesting. mellow.gif

One critic of Macdougall’s work was fellow Massachusetts doctor, Augustus P. Clarke. Clarke accused MacDougall of failing to take into account the sudden rise in body temperature at death, when the blood stops being air-cooled via its circulation through the lungs. Clarke believed that the sweating and moisture evaporation caused by the sudden rise in body temperature would account for both the drop in the humans’ weight and the dogs’ failure to register a weight loss. Dogs cool themselves by panting, not sweating.

There ya go. There's your explanation.

Edited by Wings of Selkhet
  • Like 1

After having the unfortunate events of having many close friends pass away from all sorts of causes, the weight of the carcass, as I was told by collegues and doctors was that at the time of death (being mainly of natural causes but also any other case) the exact amount of weight in grams lost was 21grams. I find this really creepy and also very intriguing. I don't have any websites, just from my own investigations and knowledge of studies.

Does anyone believe in souls? Not to get religious innocent.gif but I think there is something within our bodies that controls the 90% of our brains. We're like living batteries (matrix ref), producing as much electricity to run ourselves, but also to interfere with our environment. There's a reason why there aren't any beings like us, we are truly a work of art! alien.gif

what about the waste (poop and stuff!) the body expels when someone dies? Does that count?

442534[/snapback]

The body relieves itself when it dies? huh.gifblink.gif I've heard that sometimes gases are released (burps and farts).... mellow.gif

442534[/snapback]

The body relieves itself when it dies? huh.gifblink.gif I've heard that sometimes gases are released (burps and farts).... mellow.gif

442769[/snapback]

Well not to get too graphic, but yes when someone dies and all of the muscles of the body completely relax things can happen...if they have a full bladder when they are dying it isn't like they would be able to keep holding it...

As far as the 21 grams; my understanding was that the study was done on metal tables(to catch anything that might escape...) that were attached by very precise scales.

IIRC there were either seven or nine deaths that were observed under these conditions; but not all of them produced the 21 gram change at the time of death.

My take on it was that the guy thought he was really onto something, but he could never get the verifiable data to back it up...I will have ot see if I still have the website that has a breakdown of the study where the 21 gram theory comes from...

Well yeah...21 grams is just the weight of about 21 small paperclips, it is a very small amount of weight in comparison to the mass of the human body. If they didn't weigh the...extra stuff there would be big fluctuations in weight...

They would have to get everything to be sure that they could differentiate the 21 grams they were looking for...

My question is...when is the comparison weight taken? I mean...the before weight of someone that is about to die/ to the actual death weight...when is that done?

My question is...when is the comparison weight taken? I mean...the before weight of someone that is about to die/ to the actual death weight...when is that done?

442856[/snapback]

The study actually had people that were in late stages of different fatal disease who agreed to participate. They were placed on a metal table that was hooked to a very precise scale. Everything that went into or came out of the person was weighed precisely(IV Fluids...)

The person stayed on the table until they died, heart and brain monitors were attached to let the doctors know when a person had passed. There were always on the table from when they were in the last stages of death, until after they were dead.

They were continually taking measurements and compared the last measurements taken when the person was still alive and then compared them to the measurements taken shortly after they passed.

How come when a person dies, 21 grams is lifted from their weight?  Don't you find that a little eerie?  Lemme hear what you guys and gals have to say!  blink.gif

442528[/snapback]

It's the weight of your SOUL.

442856[/snapback]

The study actually had people that were in late stages of different fatal disease who agreed to participate. They were placed on a metal table that was hooked to a very precise scale. Everything that went into or came out of the person was weighed precisely(IV Fluids...)

The person stayed on the table until they died, heart and brain monitors were attached to let the doctors know when a person had passed. There were always on the table from when they were in the last stages of death, until after they were dead.

They were continually taking measurements and compared the last measurements taken when the person was still alive and then compared them to the measurements taken shortly after they passed.

442867[/snapback]

Have you, in your expert opinion, ever held someone dying? Have you felt the instantaneous loss of weight that happens in the second that changes from life to death? I, unfortunately, have. It's the most horrible, emotionally terrifying thing to hold someone, and then, feel their soul leave the body. It happens in one second flat, not in the long drawn out time you are describing. And this wasn't even with those serious ill in the kind of diseases you are describing. It's their soul leaving, and it happens instantly.

442856[/snapback]

442867[/snapback]

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

NOW it makes sense....very sad though if you think about it...

But weren't the results varied? That not all changes were the same amount?

Edited by HolyDevil2053

442534[/snapback]

You are so right, thats exactly what I was comin to say, anyone ever have a dog die on ya? try carrying him after he dies his bowels relax and atleast 21 grams spill out, , not that I'm saying to check a dead persons draws to back this up but I think Holy D is on the mark here.

It's their soul leaving, and it happens instantly.

By my understanding...no it doesn't. Wasn't this discussed elsewhere, at it was mentioned that the 21 grams actually takes some time (sometimes hours) to leave the body? If that is the case, then it could be explained by any number of things...waste, water evaporation...

Although if Ashley Star Chld has held a lot of dying people, I'm starting to understand why she says a lot of the crazy stuff she does...

Anyway, the results of this study have been known for some time now, and no, there's no reason whatsoever to believe it proves the existance of a soul. The quoted results are often rather vague, and don't go into the specifics of time taken...which probably leads to the myth that the weight loss is absolutely instantanious.

It's their soul leaving, and it happens instantly.

By my understanding...no it doesn't. Wasn't this discussed elsewhere, at it was mentioned that the 21 grams actually takes some time (sometimes hours) to leave the body? If that is the case, then it could be explained by any number of things...waste, water evaporation...

Although if Ashley Star Chld has held a lot of dying people, I'm starting to understand why she says a lot of the crazy stuff she does...

Anyway, the results of this study have been known for some time now, and no, there's no reason whatsoever to believe it proves the existance of a soul. The quoted results are often rather vague, and don't go into the specifics of time taken...which probably leads to the myth that the weight loss is absolutely instantanious.

442938[/snapback]

That 'crazy stuff' I talk about is documented in ancient texts. It doesn't come from nowhere.

As I said it happens instantly, and waste explusion, etc, takes longer than the time it takes for a person's soul to be here and gone.

Have you, in your expert opinion, ever held someone dying? Have you felt the instantaneous loss of weight that happens in the second that changes from life to death? I, unfortunately, have. It's the most horrible, emotionally terrifying thing to hold someone, and then, feel their soul leave the body. It happens in one second flat, not in the long drawn out time you are describing. And this wasn't even with those serious ill in the kind of diseases you are describing. It's their soul leaving, and it happens instantly.

Im sure you have held a person dying and felt 21g disappear. I'm sure.

Ashley, do you spend a lot of time hugging dying people? If so, I would have to wonder if you're a carrier of some kind of fatal disease? huh.gif More over, I'd have to wonder how on earth you could be so sensative as to be accutely aware of the sudden loss of 20grams from a body...such a weight is negligable. Even the smallest person weights several thousand grams...there's no way you could possibly be aware of the sudden loss tongue.gif

My best guess is that you're fibbing again tongue.gif

wen u die your body gets rid of your excerment (hope i spelt it right but if i didnt im talkin about your number 1s and 2s) and ill say that that would make up the lost mass, pluss your soul is suposed to be energy so i dont think energy weighs ne thing