Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hindus out to reclaim swastika

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Subtemperate

Subtemperate

Sub-b-wonderful

• 9,966 posts

• I made a spelling mistake and sold my soul to santa.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

Hindus in the UK have launched a campaign to reclaim the swastika from associations with the Nazis.

German MEPs called for a Europe-wide ban of the symbol after Prince Harry wore it on an ill-advised fancy costume earlier this month.

However, the symbol had been a Hindu good luck charm for centuries, said Hindu Forum spokesman Ramesh Kallidai.

The group is set to stage public awareness workshops across the UK and lobby politicians to educate people and prevent a ban.

"It's the second most sacred symbol in the Hindu tradition, which has been used for 5,000 years to ward off evil," said Mr Kallidai, who revealed a special effort would be made to get the message across to Jewish groups offended by the image.

He added: "Hindus use the swastika merely as a religious sacrament, to express their devotion to God. Surely nobody can have any objections to that?

"Just because, at a particular moment in history, one section of society used it, or a mirror image, to unleash xenophobic ideology does not mean Hindus should be punished.

"It's like saying the Ku Klux Klan burn crosses so therefore let's ban the use of crosses worldwide."

Some British Euro-MPs have also spoken out against a ban.

West Midlands Liberal Democrat Liz Lynne said: "I understand how the burden of history weighs upon my German colleagues' view.

"However, banning symbols cannot ban evil and risks playing into the hands of those who would seek to subvert the very liberties we most champion."

Here

"Not only do I not know the answer, I don't even know what the question is" - Metallica

Posted Image

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:15 AM

I'd think twice before I did that. The swastika is just permenantly projected as a symbol of evil.

I don't care how good of a PR firm you have; you are never going to be able to pass off a swastika as a good thing...it just isn't going to happen.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#3    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:33 AM

Sorry, I couldnt resist after fluffys comment.  grin2.gif  grin2.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  2222.gif   117.97K   14 downloads

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#4    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:41 PM

Ill tell you how bad it has got ,in SCOTLAND the executive would not allow the ST ANDREWS CROSS fly on our own parliment

they say we must fly the UNION JACK as not to upset any one

By flying the UNION JACK they have upset 5 million people

But we are scottish so who gives a f*** angry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users