Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Miss America contestant

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

But she doesn't have breast cancer.  Should I get my testes removed so that I don't get testicular cancer, or would that be a little too pre-emptive?

Prolly :whistle:

#17    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostYamato, on 12 January 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Posted Image

Have you ever done those programs?   I did P90X for 60 days and I gained seven pounds.   Most men do, because you build muscle mass lifting weights, doing squats, pullups/chinups, pushups for 60+ minutes a day.  It's more resistance training than cardio actually.   The "Cardio X" workout isn't even incorporated into the regular P90X program but rather, it's used as a supplemental workout if people want to do two workouts a day instead of one.  They have a lean program that incorporates the cardio routine into the schedule, for people who consider weight loss to be the primary goal, or alternately for women who are afraid of building muscle.

Never did those program's because I believe they are generally a waste of time. I've gained about 9 pounds in a bit over a month. Which is about 5% of my total body mass. Does this mean I've gained 9 pounds of muscle? Nope. 60 minutes is the prime time to actually work out, generally after this your body enters a catabolic state which is undesirable as it starts to break down tissue instead.

It's this simple, compound exercises. What do these do? Well they are compound do they generally activate the core muscles while doing them. Squats, bench press and deadlifts.

What actually needs to be done is to eliminate the misconception that you will turn into Arnold schwartznegger if you lift up a weight. Most women who aren't even fat go onto these programs an end up overtraining and underweight. I've experienced firsthand these "magic" program's spreading misinformation about how to eat and train.

I'm not huge and I can lift over twice my body weight. Most women in the gym won't even aim to lift like that to achieve a goal they will actually be happy with. While being healthy in the body and mind as well. I believe maintaining this level of health and positivity working out can keep a lot more at bay than a lot think. By doing the right thing of course.

#18    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,351 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 12 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Never did those program's because I believe they are generally a waste of time. I've gained about 9 pounds in a bit over a month. Which is about 5% of my total body mass. Does this mean I've gained 9 pounds of muscle? Nope. 60 minutes is the prime time to actually work out, generally after this your body enters a catabolic state which is undesirable as it starts to break down tissue instead.

It's this simple, compound exercises. What do these do? Well they are compound do they generally activate the core muscles while doing them. Squats, bench press and deadlifts.

What actually needs to be done is to eliminate the misconception that you will turn into Arnold schwartznegger if you lift up a weight. Most women who aren't even fat go onto these programs an end up overtraining and underweight. I've experienced firsthand these "magic" program's spreading misinformation about how to eat and train.

I'm not huge and I can lift over twice my body weight. Most women in the gym won't even aim to lift like that to achieve a goal they will actually be happy with. While being healthy in the body and mind as well. I believe maintaining this level of health and positivity working out can keep a lot more at bay than a lot think. By doing the right thing of course.
Most people give up because it takes hard work and dedication and tremendous motivation.   My energy level went through the roof in less than three weeks of doing P90X.  Go and look at the ratings for these programs online.  What misinformation are you talking about?   If it was anything like what you're making it sound there'd be some evidence on the internet of it.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#19    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostYamato, on 12 January 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Most people give up because it takes hard work and dedication and tremendous motivation.   My energy level went through the roof in less than three weeks of doing P90X.  Go and look at the ratings for these programs online.  What misinformation are you talking about?   If it was anything like what you're making it sound there'd be some evidence on the internet of it.

That is true, it requires tending to diet, sleeping pattern and lifestyle. When it comes down to it, who are the people looking to get the best out of their training? Olympians. Do you see them doing P90X or Insanity workout? They can be 5 star ratings for all I care. The best exercises are the ones I mentioned earlier, the compounds, but of course if only done properly.

Ive seen one that basically enforces a no carb diet an scares the women into thinking they'll turn fat if they eat anything like it. No doubt a breeding ground for early stages of anorexia, especially to immature minds.

#20    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,084 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

All I do is go hiking and use a bowflex.  I might hike for an hour or two but I don't use the bowflex for longer than 20 minutes or so two or three times a week.  I've heard exercise will cut your risks of cancer but if its a genetic thing I wonder how much it helps that.

#21    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,351 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 13 January 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

That is true, it requires tending to diet, sleeping pattern and lifestyle. When it comes down to it, who are the people looking to get the best out of their training? Olympians. Do you see them doing P90X or Insanity workout? They can be 5 star ratings for all I care. The best exercises are the ones I mentioned earlier, the compounds, but of course if only done properly.

Ive seen one that basically enforces a no carb diet an scares the women into thinking they'll turn fat if they eat anything like it. No doubt a breeding ground for early stages of anorexia, especially to immature minds.
Who said there aren't compound exercises in P90X?  Nearly the entire program is core activating compound resistance training which is the opposite of what you've been trying to describe it as.   You really need to learn about something before preaching this much about it.

P90X diet is akin to climbing Michi's Ladder.  It's not about deprivation and counting points, it's about moving your diet to healthful foods on higher tiers.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#22    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostYamato, on 14 January 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Who said there aren't compound exercises in P90X?  Nearly the entire program is core activating compound resistance training which is the opposite of what you've been trying to describe it as.   You really need to learn about something before preaching this much about it.

P90X diet is akin to climbing Michi's Ladder.  It's not about deprivation and counting points, it's about moving your diet to healthful foods on higher tiers.

Looked at the standard gear required. Didn't see a barbell or squat rack. Just a gimmick to me. You can do so much more without spending money on some program. Not saying it doesn't work because of course if you're going to do cardio and such like that it's going to do something but as I said. Seems like some cross-fit joke. Make better gains doing what I said before and without forking three figures out for some program.

The information is out there. As I said, Olympians who aim for peak physical fitness will not do these programs. They would be doing what I mentioned earlier.

#23    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,351 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Looked at the standard gear required. Didn't see a barbell or squat rack. Just a gimmick to me. You can do so much more without spending money on some program. Not saying it doesn't work because of course if you're going to do cardio and such like that it's going to do something but as I said. Seems like some cross-fit joke. Make better gains doing what I said before and without forking three figures out for some program.

The information is out there. As I said, Olympians who aim for peak physical fitness will not do these programs. They would be doing what I mentioned earlier.
You have to spend even more money on barbell plates and squat racks!   So again, the implication that you'll save money by not having to spend money on the program is also false.   And even worse on the budget than squat racks and plate weights for barbells are gym memberships!

P90X is a mass market program designed to get people in the best shape of their lives without causing injury and it succeeds in spades.

You don't need a squat rack to do squats.   And not many people have room in their apartments/homes for squat racks anyway.  You don't need a barbell to do squats either.   Gym equipment like squat racks that use barbells are inferior because barbells force your shoulders/arms into fixed positions not to mention greater chance of injury.  The key to peak muscle fitness is variety and change, not going to a gym and repeating the same (compound) exercises over and over again.   P90X is literally saving people's lives, and the amazing testimonies are everywhere.  

I don't see any information out there that you can get better results than P90X with a barbell and a squat rack.  Anyone in the fitness industry who called P90X a gimmick wouldn't be taken seriously.  I'd love to see anyone of any repute on the internet who agrees with you.

#24    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostYamato, on 15 January 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

You have to spend even more money on barbell plates and squat racks!   So again, the implication that you'll save money by not having to spend money on the program is also false.   And even worse on the budget than squat racks and plate weights for barbells are gym memberships!

P90X is a mass market program designed to get people in the best shape of their lives without causing injury and it succeeds in spades.

You don't need a squat rack to do squats.   And not many people have room in their apartments/homes for squat racks anyway.  You don't need a barbell to do squats either.   Gym equipment like squat racks that use barbells are inferior because barbells force your shoulders/arms into fixed positions not to mention greater chance of injury.  The key to peak muscle fitness is variety and change, not going to a gym and repeating the same (compound) exercises over and over again.   P90X is literally saving people's lives, and the amazing testimonies are everywhere.  

I don't see any information out there that you can get better results than P90X with a barbell and a squat rack.  Anyone in the fitness industry who called P90X a gimmick wouldn't be taken seriously.  I'd love to see anyone of any repute on the internet who agrees with you.

Going to a gym actually has more benefits than a home workout. The atmosphere, people and such have an effect and most likely a positive one. Also gives you a lot more incentive to go.

Doing squats without a squat rack can be dangerous, unless you can military press what you squat. You will need a barbell to squat (if you were talking about bodysquats before then yes of course you can do that pretty much anywhere) if you want to see strength and mass gains. And no, doing the lifts properly are actually done with a natural, fluid movement. You can do stretches to minimise injury.

My strength, mass and fitness has increased substantially over the past few months since I've been very focused on the gym. Many Olympians squat almost everyday... Yet they are described as being and always aiming for peak physical fitness? Every time I've gone into the gym the past few weeks I pull a PB in one of my exercises. Or perhaps I don't know what I'm doing or talking about?

A lot of people in the fitness industry, particularly personal trainers don't know what they're talking about.

It's also funny that most of the fitness models actually promoting some of these programs have actually been doing what I'm doing. People think they will turn into them by jumping on some of these programs. It is like those kids who ask a bodybuilder what their routine is because they want to get bigger. The problem with that is the bodybuilders routine has changed since they first started. More definition and focused exercises are evident. So effectively you will get some gains but in the long run it will not be what you're after.

#25    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 16 January 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Going to a gym actually has more benefits than a home workout. The atmosphere, people and such have an effect and most likely a positive one. Also gives you a lot more incentive to go.

Doing squats without a squat rack can be dangerous, unless you can military press what you squat. You will need a barbell to squat (if you were talking about bodysquats before then yes of course you can do that pretty much anywhere) if you want to see strength and mass gains. And no, doing the lifts properly are actually done with a natural, fluid movement. You can do stretches to minimise injury.

My strength, mass and fitness has increased substantially over the past few months since I've been very focused on the gym. Many Olympians squat almost everyday... Yet they are described as being and always aiming for peak physical fitness? Every time I've gone into the gym the past few weeks I pull a PB in one of my exercises. Or perhaps I don't know what I'm doing or talking about?

A lot of people in the fitness industry, particularly personal trainers don't know what they're talking about.

It's also funny that most of the fitness models actually promoting some of these programs have actually been doing what I'm doing. People think they will turn into them by jumping on some of these programs. It is like those kids who ask a bodybuilder what their routine is because they want to get bigger. The problem with that is the bodybuilders routine has changed since they first started. More definition and focused exercises are evident. So effectively you will get some gains but in the long run it will not be what you're after.
Olympians train primarily by practicing whatever it is they're competing for, thousands of times over again.  Bodybuilding isn't even a good idea for many Olympians depending on what their sport is, so trying to pad your opinions with all this "Olympian" talk doesn't look right.   Exercise is fundamental.   If stamina, flexibility, balance, strength, endurance and diet have anything to do with athletics, these "gimmicks" as you call them will help dramatically.  If you have such great ideas, then convince people to spend their money on them like the programs you love to badmouth already have.   It doesn't surprise me at all that you haven't produced anything from the internet despite your internet access.

#26    Yamato

Yamato

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I do squats every day.  And I don't need a squat rack.  I sure don't need a barbell.   I don't even need weights.  

P90X/Insanity isn't for body building; it's for extreme fitness.   But you will get ripped which is an awesome benefit for those of us involved.

If you want to body build, go to a gym and keep repeating the same exercises over and over again.  That's the fastest way to build muscle mass.

If you want to change your life in three months...

#27    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostYamato, on 16 January 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Olympians train primarily by practicing whatever it is they're competing for, thousands of times over again.  Bodybuilding isn't even a good idea for many Olympians depending on what their sport is, so trying to pad your opinions with all this "Olympian" talk doesn't look right.   Exercise is fundamental.   If stamina, flexibility, balance, strength, endurance and diet have anything to do with athletics, these "gimmicks" as you call them will help dramatically.  If you have such great ideas, then convince people to spend their money on them like the programs you love to badmouth already have.   It doesn't surprise me at all that you haven't produced anything from the internet despite your internet access.

Doing squats does not make you a bodybuilder. Your legs contain the largest muscles in your body. You work these and hormones are released. Which is desirable for physical activity and growth. After doing these compound exercises I have become a lot stronger, better posture, health has improved etc. Obviously you don't aim to get as big as possible as it can slow you down in regards to Some olympic sports. But setting a cap and a schedule while doing these exercises can only help.

A friend of mine does competitive fencing and does exactly what I am mentioning and he knows it gives him a big advantage. These aren't my ideas, these are the actual ideas that work which are being implemented by anyone who knows how to gym properly. The results can be seen from bodybuilders, power lifters, olympians to your average joe.

Everyone loves to hear how they can get "ripped" in the shortest time possible (as these program's constantly peddle). But if you really want to get there, its going to take you a lot of time and dedication.

#28    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,551 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostYamato, on 16 January 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

I do squats every day.  And I don't need a squat rack.  I sure don't need a barbell.   I don't even need weights.  

P90X/Insanity isn't for body building; it's for extreme fitness.   But you will get ripped which is an awesome benefit for those of us involved.

If you want to body build, go to a gym and keep repeating the same exercises over and over again.  That's the fastest way to build muscle mass.

If you want to change your life in three months...

So you are doing body squats as I mentioned before or?

I know it isn't for bodybuilding. The workout im stating isn't solely for bodybuilding. If I were to do the training you are doing I wouldn't spend money on a program as I said before the information is out there and quite easily available.

These programs are endurance/resistance training so of course they aren't made to focus on mass gain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users