Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chimpanzees' 66 gestures revealed

Still Waters

Wild chimpanzees use at least 66 distinct gestures to communicate with each other, according to scientists.

A team of researchers from the University of St Andrews in Scotland filmed a group of the animals in order to decipher this "gestural repertoire".

The team then studied 120 hours of footage of the chimps interacting, looking for signs that the animals were intentionally signalling to each other.

The findings are published in the journal Animal Cognition.

Previous studies on captive chimps have suggested the animals have about 30 different gestures.

"So this [result] shows quite a large repertoire," lead researcher Dr Catherine Hobaiter told BBC News.

"We think people previously were only seeing fractions of this, because when you study the animals in captivity you don't see all their behaviour.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbie333

• d e v i c e

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Oberon Delta

Oh our wild friends never cease to amaze me. They are smarter than we thought and we find it out all the time with Dolphins, Chimps, Apes, Dogs and even insects. I read a story on Koko, I think it was spelled whom had a very large vocabulary of " signs". She is fantastic.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/koko/

///and another site which includes some fantastic animal feats of using the old noggin.

http://discovermagazine.com/topics/mind-brain/animal-intelligence

Edited by Robbie333

This is why man must change his ways and view the harming and killing of these beings - and they are beings - as a great injustice. Indeed, I envisage a world where all animals are afforded the same rights and liberties that we as human beings simply take for granted.

May we all evolve in peace and as one. Thank you.

This is why man must change his ways and view the harming and killing of these beings - and they are beings - as a great injustice. Indeed, I envisage a world where all animals are afforded the same rights and liberties that we as human beings simply take for granted.

May we all evolve in peace and as one. Thank you.

Men are cruel toward its own kind, but your vision is a warm and wishful thinking.

No. It is not wishful thinking. It is standard toward which we should all aspire. Good day sir!

The same could be said for Humans, except we should know better.

Yes, we should know better--I agree.

Chimpanzees are evil and mean. I do not like them at all.

Although, in the wild, Chimps can be aggressive and have a hierarchy, like most wildlife, I would say you are wrong on the evil part. I don't think they are aware of the term "evil".

• 10 months later...

They are just as intelligent as we are: they simply are better adapted to survival in their environment, and haven't developed civilization beyond the tribal stage.

They are our brother race, and they deserve our respect and compassion.