Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 5 votes

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

• Please log in to reply
5884 replies to this topic

#1276    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

He is the source, not a book from 2009.

He defined the word OD. based on HIS etymology of the names Woden, Odan, Odin and so on.

If he had read it in the OLB, he would have said so, but no, it was HIS idea, based on HIS etymology.

#1277    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

To The Mule I'd like to say: read this entry into my blog:

http://oeralinda.blo...ection -1806 AD

Read about De Grave and Volney; their books were on the shelves of Over de Linden's library.

#1278    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Yes we have posted that one, actually it was one of the first things we came up with: it's from Von Reichenbach.
I thought I said it at the time.
life force is what I know it as anyway and what I'd put and pretty sure I said it.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#1279    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

I replied too fast.

Reichenbach did NOT define "od", he merely used the existing word as inspiration for his new term "odic force".

Here's a fragment of a scientific article "Sleepwalking in Italian Operas: A Window on Popular and Scientific Knowledge on Sleep Disorders in the 19th Century" in "Neurology and Art" (2010) by Michele Augusto Riva et al.

This relationship between sleepwalking and magnetism was also found in other previous literary and historical descriptions. In the first half of the 19th century, baron Karl Ludwig von Reichenbach (1788–1869), member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences, made extensive studies on sleepwalkers, and used some discoveries to formulate his theory of the Odic force, based on mesmeric animal magnetism [17]. Indeed, in the popular opinion, somnambulism always followed the appearance of specific lunar phases, reaching maximum expression at full moon (it was linked to werewolf legends). Like animal magnetism, this ‘lunar attraction’ was a manifestation of a more fundamental natural force. Baron von Reichenbach named this vital principle ‘Odic force’ (from Odin, mythological Nordic god), which pervades and connects all living things. The theories of Armand M.J. de Chastenet, Marquis de Puységur (1751–1825) were very similar. Even this French aristocrat learned about mesmerism, studied ‘artificial sleepwalking’ for many years (at present known as ‘hypnosis’) and noted the similarity between this sleeping trance and somnambulism [18]. He based both phenomena on the vital principle, similar to the modern idea of subconscience, which would be developed through researches on hypnotism by J.M. Charcot and his fellow, S. Freud. These metaphysical theories persisted in some Gothic novels in the Northern European literature (e.g. ‘artificial sleepwalking’ in Dracula by Bram Stoker, 1897) [19].

Edited by Otharus, 07 October 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#1280    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

The main thing is that - apart from the authenticity issue - we now officially have a much better translation than the existing "hate" (based on Latin odium) by Ottema and Sandbach.

Edited by Otharus, 07 October 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#1281    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 07 October 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

I thought I said it at the time.
life force is what I know it as anyway and what I'd put and pretty sure I said it.

You can click the link to the post in my answer to Otharus, and turn back the pages to see who came up with it first.

But the point here is: we knew about it at least a year ago, and it was a well known concept in the 19th century, and before the OLB was even published.

And whoever had earlier and similar ideas, it was Reichenbach who coined the term OD.

#1282    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostOtharus, on 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

The main thing is that - apart from the question if OLB is authentic or not - we now officially have a much better translation than the existing "hate" (based on Latin odium) by Ottema and Sandbach.

Well, we agree on that one; Ottema's translation was odd indeed, lol.

Edited by Abramelin, 07 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#1283    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

You can click the link to the post in my answer to Otharus, and turn back the pages to see who came up with it first.

But the point here is: we knew about it at least a year ago, and it was a well known concept in the 19th century, and before the OLB was even published.

And whoever had earlier and similar ideas, it was Reichenbach who coined the term OD.
OK, I'm going back to bed. Hang on. Odins name came from a word... more like SPIRIT the word OD should be imo - meaning life force - not related to Reichenbach but seperate in meaning, based on true original meaning. Wraldas SPIRIT entered her.

The Old Norse noun óðr may be the origin of the theonym Óðinn (Anglicized as Odin), and it means "mind", "soul" or "spirit" (so used in stanza 18.1 of the Poetic Edda poem Völuspá). In addition, óðr can also mean "song", "poetry" and "inspiration", and it has connotations of "possession". It is derived from a Proto-Germanic *wōð- or *wōþ- and it is related to Gothic wôds ("raging", "possessed"), Old High German wuot ("fury" "rage, to be insane") and the Anglo-Saxon words wód ("fury", "rabies") and wóð ("song", "cry", "voice", "poetry", "eloquence"). Old Norse derivations include œði "strong excitation, possession".[2]
Ultimately these Germanic words are derived from the Proto-Indo-European word *wāt-, which meant "to blow (on), to fan (flames)", fig. "to inspire". The same root also appears in Latin vātēs ("seer", "singer"), which is considered to be a Celtic loanword, compare to Irish fāith ("poet", but originally "excited", "inspired").[2] The root has also been said to appear in Sanskrit vāt- "to fan".

http://en.wikipedia.....org/wiki/Óðr

Edited by The Puzzler, 07 October 2012 - 12:25 PM.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#1284    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

To summarize:

Reichenbach used the word "od" that already existed in a similar meaning (as he admitted) for his theory about natural forces.

It may have come back in use for a while, because of his publications.

The entry in VD dictionary may (or may not) refer mostly to use in the 19th century, as caused by Reichenbach's work.

It is neither evidence for - nor against authenticity of the OLB.

The main thing we can establish, is that the classic Ottema & Sandbach translations are now officially improved, and we have a professional source to support this new translation.

Edited by Otharus, 07 October 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#1285    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostOtharus, on 07 October 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Finding sources is one thing, reading and understanding them another. LOL

So what did you not understand from the German site with the copy of Von Reichenbach's book?

#1286    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 07 October 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

OK, I'm going back to bed. Hang on. Odins name came from a word... more like SPIRIT the word OD should be imo - meaning life force - not related to Reichenbach but seperate in meaning, based on true original meaning. Wraldas SPIRIT entered her.

The Old Norse noun óðr may be the origin of the theonym Óðinn (Anglicized as Odin), and it means "mind", "soul" or "spirit" (so used in stanza 18.1 of the Poetic Edda poem Völuspá). In addition, óðr can also mean "song", "poetry" and "inspiration", and it has connotations of "possession". It is derived from a Proto-Germanic *wōð- or *wōþ- and it is related to Gothic wôds ("raging", "possessed"), Old High German wuot ("fury" "rage, to be insane") and the Anglo-Saxon words wód ("fury", "rabies") and wóð ("song", "cry", "voice", "poetry", "eloquence"). Old Norse derivations include œði "strong excitation, possession".[2]
Ultimately these Germanic words are derived from the Proto-Indo-European word *wāt-, which meant "to blow (on), to fan (flames)", fig. "to inspire". The same root also appears in Latin vātēs ("seer", "singer"), which is considered to be a Celtic loanword, compare to Irish fāith ("poet", but originally "excited", "inspired").[2] The root has also been said to appear in Sanskrit vāt- "to fan".

http://en.wikipedia.....org/wiki/"ðr

The first thing Wralda did is 'spice' them with his 'breath', or ADEM in Dutch, then he gave them 'life-force' or OD, or better OD entered them.

Edited by Abramelin, 07 October 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#1287    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

So what did you not understand from the German site with the copy of Von Reichenbach's book?

Why do you assume there is something that I did not understand?

#1288    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostOtharus, on 07 October 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Why do you assume there is something that I did not understand?

Because of what you said in that post you edited beyond recognition. But I knew what you meant, it's just that I can play too, you know...

You were wrong, but you'd rather die than admit it.

Van Dale is a recent source, and its entry about OD is based on something, and that can only be Von Reichenbach who was the one who coined the term OD.

If you have an earlier source, then I'd like to see it.

#1289    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 October 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

If you have an earlier source, then I'd like to see it.

He said so himself:

"... in Wodan, Odan, Odin, wo es die alldurchdringende Kraft bezeichnet"

*Snip*

Edited by Karlis, 07 October 2012 - 03:53 PM.
Request by poster

#1290    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostOtharus, on 07 October 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

He said so himself:

"... in Wodan, Odan, Odin, wo es die alldurchdringende Kraft bezeichnet"

*Snip*

What I asked for is a source - a book - that defined OD as life-force.

Only Reichenbach did, based on HIS etymology.

*Snip*

Edited by Karlis, 07 October 2012 - 03:55 PM.
Personal remark

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users