Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Dogs helped man out-compete with Neanderthals

neanderthals dogs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,038 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Dogs could have been the deciding factor which enabled modern humans to out-compete with Neanderthals and colonise Europe, researchers claim.

Man's relationship with his best friend has lasted 32,000 years, with cave-dwelling hunter-gatherers using dogs to carry supplies so that they could save their energy for hunting.

The bond between man and dog arose at around the time Neanderthals began to surrender their dominance over Europe, which had lasted for the previous 250,000 years.

Now experts have suggested the domestication of dogs, and the benefit it gave to their masters, could have played a key rule in the demise of the Neanderthals and supremacy of humans.

http://www.telegraph...anderthals.html

Posted Image

#2    hoplite

hoplite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• ex military

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

A dog really is a mans best friend.

#3    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

true dat.

#4    Starflower

Starflower

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

More than just helping carry food and supplies, dogs likely helped with hunting, protected us from predators, were natural alarms to danger, and kept us warm at night.  I think the relationship we have with dogs is quite amazing.

#5    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,675 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Are you trying to tell me that dogs perform tasks other than snoring in front of the fire, eating, passing wind and dribbling on the carpet? I'd better have a word with my two!!!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,821 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostStarflower, on 18 May 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

More than just helping carry food and supplies, dogs likely helped with hunting, protected us from predators, were natural alarms to danger, and kept us warm at night.  I think the relationship we have with dogs is quite amazing.

I prefer " the relationship dogs have with us "......

They have un conditional love, we do not.....They make the relationship what it is, we do not.

View Postealdwita, on 18 May 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Are you trying to tell me that dogs perform tasks other than snoring in front of the fire, eating, passing wind and dribbling on the carpet? I'd better have a word with my two!!!

Posted Image

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

These days it would have been considered 'speciesism' and demonstrations would be popping up to demand an end to 'Neanderthal Genocide'.

#8    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Wouldnot the Neanderthal have not done the same a domescated canines themselves they had the time to do it.

#9    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Why didn't Africans domesticate hyenas or cape hunting dogs? Why did they never domesticate Zebras for use in riding or battle? Some things just don't happen despite having the time to do so I guess.

#10    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

arent neanderthals the same as humans? except like more ancient?

#11    BaneSilvermoon

BaneSilvermoon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

• "You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Neanderthals existed along side of what became modern man, sharing a common ancestor further back in the chain. But I know there are a couple people around here who can explain this in far more accurate detail than I can so I'll leave it at that for now.

#12    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 18 May 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Why didn't Africans domesticate hyenas or cape hunting dogs? Why did they never domesticate Zebras for use in riding or battle? Some things just don't happen despite having the time to do so I guess.

I think the ancient Egyptians (or maybe the Nubian?) did try to domesticate hyenas and zebras but they never succeeded. I guess sosome animals are just more suited for domestication than others. Both zebras and hyenas are quite dangerous and much stronger than say, horses and wolves...

"He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed"

Albert Einstein

#13    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,821 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

View Postcsspwns, on 19 May 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

arent neanderthals the same as humans? except like more ancient?

Kind of, they all live in New York.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#14    Corbinrow

Corbinrow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

I watched a documentary about our early relationship with dogs.  Friends over a garbage pile.  :)  Their first job was to guard our kids.  That right there is a great survival advantage.

#15    ceanes

ceanes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Here an example of hyenas domesticated http://www.hemmy.net...2/03/hyena-pet/

Also tagged with neanderthals, dogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users