Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Does the Bunny Have To Do With Easter?

Still Waters

There's no story in the Bible about a long-eared, cotton-tailed creature known as the Easter Bunny. Neither is there a passage about young children painting eggs or hunting for baskets overflowing with scrumptious Easter goodies.

And real rabbits certainly don't lay eggs.

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

In Europe, or at lest parts of it, there is the mythology of Eostre, a goddess of fertility and bunnies, eggs and other baby animals were associated with her.

At least that is what I recall reading.

• Like 3

I've always assumed it was one of the many features of pre-Christian paganism (with obvious overtones of fertility, etc) that remained in the collective subconscious until it was revived by the advertising industry 9see also: Santa Claus).

• Like 3

The bunny hides the eggs, duh.

• Like 2

Easter is "supposed" to be the celebration of Christ's death and ressurection...how a giant bunny hiding eggs got in there...I'll never figure that one out...

When someone brings that question up, I love to reinforce it with this little clip from South Park

• Like 5

also, it is never mentioned of a fat man who lives in the north pole with a big white beard, in the bible

• Like 1

also, it is never mentioned of a fat man who lives in the north pole with a big white beard, in the bible

I thought that was jesus?

• Like 1

I thought that was jesus?

I thought more that it was his grandpa, Thor...in his very late years.

• Like 1

I was told the eggs were offerings to appease the great bunny of spring so that he didnt unleash zombie jesus upon us

...my grandpa did a lot of drugs

• Like 4

Heres a pretty good article,it seems all the fun things about Easter derive from pre Christian traditions.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism

I thought more that it was his grandpa, Thor...in his very late years.

jesus's grandpa, thor, in the north pole .... oh the kids will enjoy this story

• Like 2

goddess Eoster/Ostara symbols are hares and eggs

(and even ishtar but that was from another region and I don't think Ishtars symbols are hares and eggs but maybe)

ostara.jpg

symbolizes new life / spring / which coincides (has similar connotations) with the resurrection

• Like 5

We scoff at the Easter Bunny because there is nothing to corroborate it's existence outside of fairy tales and mythology. Yet we accept the bible as truth even though, just like with the Easter Bunny-there are no historical records to corroborate the events and people in the bible other than what is written in the bible.

The Easter Bunny's relevance to Easter? Well....it's just one fairy tale layered on top of another. I just can't believe how much time is spent questioning how the Easter Bunny is relevant to an event, that never existed.

This is one doozy of a rabbit hole...leading us straight into crazyland.

• Like 1

We scoff at the Easter Bunny because there is nothing to corroborate it's existence outside of fairy tales and mythology. Yet we accept the bible as truth even though, just like with the Easter Bunny-there are no historical records to corroborate the events and people in the bible other than what is written in the bible.

The Easter Bunny's relevance to Easter? Well....it's just one fairy tale layered on top of another. I just can't believe how much time is spent questioning how the Easter Bunny is relevant to an event, that never existed.

Shouldn't we scoff at Santa as well then?
  • Like 1

Paganism gone mainstream. JESUS and the magical bunny that poops colored eggs and leaves quaint little baskets of plastic grass and hollowed out chocolate bunnies...and more chocolate. And Peeps! And the lesson in all of it is- if you fimd all the hidden eggs, you will somehow come closer to understanding the ressurection of Christ????

• Like 1

I have been searching and searching for anything historical to corroborate biblical mythology. There are no records of historical documentation...anywhere in the annals Egyptian, Greek, Roman or any other empire's history about a guy named Jesus or any of those characters, he supposedly hung around with.

Not even a mere honorable mention. It really makes me wonder. And here we are wondering where the Easter Bunny came from, when we should first question the make believe nature of the bible.

Edited by FuFighter
  • Like 2

I guess then if we scoff at the Bible, we should scoff at any written history? Ancient Egypt, Henry the VIII, the American Civil War? All fairy tales?

Edited by MJNYC

I have been searching and searching for anything historical to corroborate biblical mythology. There are no records of historical documentation...anywhere in the annals Egyptian, Greek, Roman or any other empire's history about a guy named Jesus or any of those characters, he supposedly hung around with.

Not even a mere honorable mention. It really makes me wonder. And here we are wondering where the Easter Bunny came from, when we should first question the make believe nature of the bible.

Try the Dead Sea Scrolls?

• Like 1

So, Easter commemorates when Jesus hid eggs for the disciples to find, and then he turned all the rabbits into chocolate, right?

Eostra = Ostara = Ishtar = Easter. Since the beginning of time humans have celebrated the changing seasons. The coming of spring, summer, fall and winter. Back then, if you're bringing in a new religion like Christianity to the people, you certainly don't want to be a party pooper. Humans like to have a good time and it's hard to break traditions. You just get them to change the meaning of the celebration over time.

Christmas is even more pagan with its traditions of wreaths and trees.

• Like 1

I guess then if we scoff at the Bible, we should scoff at any written history? Ancient Egypt, Henry the VIII, the American Civil War? All fairy tales?

Do you believe the Iliad is a true story. If the Bible is true then the Epic of Gilgamesh is true, because it is older. Sorry that kind of logic is not going to work. Studying history is like following paper trail of many sources. Some which are true and some are non sense. The farther back in history you go the less paper you have and the non sense creeps in. Even with recent history and you have paper trail the non sense creeps in. Just ask a Wiccan the history of Wicca. It is amazing the answers you get. :whistle:

Scoffing at the Bible as a true tail of history is good, as is scoffing at Gone With the Wind as a history of American civil war.

Try the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Credible link?

• Like 2

Noooo... All the previous historical accounts you just recited are events that have been well documented, by scholars and credible historians of the time, each having plenty of tangible evidence to back it them up...

the bible is not written history. it is a book of stories meant to convey lessons of life.

there is nothing factual about the stories contained therein. we do however have documentation that confirms the histories of ancient egypt henry the 8th and the american civil war.

goddess Eoster/Ostara symbols are hares and eggs

(and even ishtar but that was from another region and I don't think Ishtars symbols are hares and eggs but maybe)

ostara.jpg

I believe you are correct, Ishtar was the fertility goddess, the "many breasted one," and what could be more fertile than rabbits and eggs? It may be that the resurrection, occurring as it did in the spring became the center of Christian worship, but pagan concepts die hard. Throughout the Old Testament the Israelites continued to bring all or parts of pagan worship into worship of God, I suspect it's much the same with the pagan aspects of Easter. That is why many Christians prefer to call the day Resurrection Sunday as opposed to Easter.

symbolizes new life / spring / which coincides (has similar connotations) with the resurrection