Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA to announce manned moon mission ?

Saru

Now that the US elections are over attentions may soon be turning to a new manned mission to the moon.

NASA is serious about sending astronauts back to the moon's neighborhood and will likely unveil its ambitious plans soon now that President Barack Obama has been re-elected, experts say.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Has anyone claimed the moon yet? It would be a good missile base, surely. With your enemies not wanting to destroy the Moon.

Well if you wanted to go to Mars it might be easier to launch from the moon. The ship could be bigger and use less fuel doing it.

Well, it's about time. I was born during the Apollo era, I would have bet that we would already have a moon base by now.

Obviously I would have lost the bet.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Well, it's about time. I was born during the Apollo era, I would have bet that we would already have a moon base by now.

Obviously I would have lost the bet.

Right with you buddy. Some of my earliest memories are of watching moon landings live. That was a great time to be a kid. I thought for sure I'd have a job on an orbital facility or something. I hope it's soon!
  • Like 3

Right with you buddy. Some of my earliest memories are of watching moon landings live. That was a great time to be a kid. I thought for sure I'd have a job on an orbital facility or something. I hope it's soon!

Same here.

I thought by the time I was an old geezer we'd be getting space-taxis to Moonbase Alpha (Soho district). *sigh*

• Like 1

All I can say is that its about friggin time. :clap: We should have had bases on the moon 20 years ago (and I dont mean the secret ones that have bean there for years. :whistle: ).

Edited by HawkLord
  • Like 2

Its about ******* time that we Go back to the Moon.

I'm glad i voted for Obama though thats for sure. I almost didn't vote for Obama because he cancelled Bush's Space Program.

Edited by stevemagegod

Iron Sky was great. Though it was historically inaccurate as the Nazis didn't wear black by 45. They wore field grey,apart from that spot on. Loved "That isn't a computer, THIS is a computer" scene.

• Like 1

This actually got me excited.

Edited by Junior Chubb

No way. They don´t have the cash for it. The US is fundamentally bankrupt, no matter how much more Obama tries to borrow from China.

YES! America goes back on the moon! We left our mark there over 40 years ago on 6 out of 7 manned missions (Apollo 13 was an emergency return without a landing)...exciting news report! I seriously doubt NASA is able to financially fund the next missions, unless this is more of an international effort including the Russians, ESA (Europeans), Japan and China to the framework. Maybe Canadians and Mexicans will get to participate this time as part of a North American unified space program. I hope privatization of space travel and exploration will make new missions possible without NASA going entirely alone.

While I feel we need to go back to the moon, we need to get out of debt first as a country. Now if the oil companies want to finance it then I'd say goffer it!

note that in the OP link it says that the men who go on the mission will not actually go to the Moon's surface...

they will be in a capsule...

quote from the pic in the OP link...

Artist's concept of astronauts in an Orion capsule helping direct robotic teleoperations on the moon's farside. (Lockheed Martin)

hear what Senior Research Scientist (Lockheed Martin) Boyd Bushman has to say about the asteroid named Apophis in the vid below 0:33 > 1:33

and he says..."veer it's orbit"

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylZw7U95UU[/media]

I think that Bushman and others are probably working flat out to make sure an impact doesn't happen.

But it will take a lot of preparation and this mission that is being discussed is almost certainly part of the preparation IMO.

Saving the World (literally?) isn't just an American problem so it's pretty certain that other nations will be involved.

like Russia....(this article published a month ago)

http://rt.com/news/a...on-mission-908/

Russia’s space agency wants to send a mission to Apophis, the notorious asteroid which may change its course and eventually collide with Earth. It will plant a radio beacon, which will help track the celestial body and assess the risks it poses.

­The 300-meter-wide asteroid first made headlines in 2004, when NASA reported that it has 1 chance in 223 of impacting on our planet in 2029. It was even named after the Ancient Egyptian evil god, archenemy of the sun god Ra.

But additional observations proved that it will pass by at the small, but safe, distance of some 36,000 kilometers from Earth. The close approach however may result in an unpredictable gravitational pull on Apophis, which would change its course and pose a danger in 2036, when it comes back.

this post isn't intended to be a doom and gloom affair.... :)

because I think 'we' will be successful in making sure the asteroid doesn't hit.

And any sane person can only wish all involved in the project success and good luck.

that's how I see all this anyway...no one panic...it's going to be ok

:tu:

Ye` of little foresight ! And as For Obama,He`s only a puppet in the mix,Although a Few Americans are very deep into making this Happen. I will Love to see what Mid has to Say! I sure hope we can pull this all together over the next Decade ! As for America not having the money ? Get a Life people We can print as much as we need to do anything we want to do ! IMO. ANd we will return to the Moon! :tsu: