Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US military's gay policy 'costly'

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:53 PM

Could it be worked around? probably, but would it be cost effective and efficient?

Bathory, given the amount of money the article says the country is having to spend to replace the homosexual personnel that have been dismissed, this may go down in history as one of the weakest arguements ever devised by mortal man.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#32    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,301 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

Bathory, given the amount of money the article says the country is having to spend to replace the homosexual personnel that have been dismissed, this may go down in history as one of the weakest arguements ever devised by mortal man.

we still have creation theory to contend with:)

regardless the number qouted was over a decade so thats about $20 million a year, now how many of these people were genuinely gay? how much does it cost to train these people anyways?  and is the article saying 10,000 over the 10 years? 1000 people a year, how many people are in the defence force?

and as i said before, i'm all for gays being in the armed forces

I know what you are trying to say here but maybe you should have asked if I would feel uncomfortable showering with women because the woman is gay.

no, i just want to see the reasons why you wouldn't want to, but that backfired in that you seemed to be very open about your sexuality, i do believe the majority don't feel that way:) lol

Edited by bathory, 25 February 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#33    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

If you're all for gays being in the armed forces, then why are you attempting to justify an act that discriminates against them? huh.gif

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#34    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,301 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

because i am trying to see it from both sides of the fence unlike you. It could possibly cause problems, if the majority aren't comfortable with it, its detrimental to the group, something you wouldn't want happening in your army or whatever. Thats why i'm saying that its not as simple as just letting them in.  

The don't ask/don't tell policy is a nice stop gap until they can figure out something better.

#35    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:51 PM

I'm well aware there would be many people uncomfortable with it...that was my point in its entirety actually huh.gif My complaint is the trend within some element of society (not just the right wing establishment) towards prejudices in regards to a person's sexuality...see earlier quote:

"We're going to go and fight for freedom and equality throughout the world...now get lost you queers!"

All too often, right wing America allows itself to be ruled by backwards ideals of discrimination, that simply shouldn't have any place in the year 2005 (and havn't had any place for a very long time).

Posted Image

#36    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,654 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

And that makes it okay? Joc, gay people should not have to worry about keeping it secret. The entire concept of firing people based on their sexuality is just another fascist, bigoted, narrow-minded, insular, intolerant, small-minded, petty, prejudiced, discriminatory and, over all, pathetic aspect of the right-wing.

We are not talking about the civilian work force Talon.  We are talking about the military.  The military won't take you if you are over 31 years of age.  Is that discrimination?  Why do you people always have to be so dense.  I have nothing against  gays.  Why should I care what they do or where they work?  I don't.  But the military does.  Please keep the argument in proper context.
"We're going to go and fight for freedom and equality throughout the world...now get lost you queers!"

Just another example of how you twist everything to be 'bad'.  You people are so shallow minded it is sometimes just plain unbelievable.  You all have the tendency to take very complicated issues, gloss over the complications, find the common denominator of 'hate the right at all costs' and then flow with it.  Your reasoning is not '
reasoning' at all.   It is shallow and full of hate.  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#37    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:07 PM

political correctness, meet the military. hope ya'll get along.

I don't see why the military should be forced to be politically correct.  They have a job to do, and they have to do it as efficiently as possible.  I trust their generals to know what works best and what doesn't, an along comes ole Bill Clinton and his legacy building pandering.  I don't know how having them affects recruitment, but seems they're really fired up to go die.

Having said that, if the generals decide it's fine, then fine! great!  I've also heard it said that if you switch the word "Gay" for the word "N*gg*r" it matches the rhetoric of the past.  I began pictureing a gay version of the Tuskegee Airmen, maybe The Fabulous Flaming Flying Funderbirds... I'm glad they've not been separated out into a seperate unit, either full integration or none at all, up to the Generals.

#38    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,301 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

I'm well aware there would be many people uncomfortable with it...that was my point in its entirety actually huh.gif My complaint is the trend within some element of society (not just the right wing establishment) towards prejudices in regards to a person's sexuality...see earlier quote:

the initial complaint was leveled at the fascist, bigoted, narrow-minded, insular, intolerant, small-minded, petty, prejudiced, discriminatory and, over all, pathetic aspect of the right-wing [establishment].

You people just can't seem to grasp that other people might have a problem with living in such close quaters with someone who could potentially see them as a potential partner (be this male male, male female, female female) and all the associated bullshit that follows. This would create tension, something you don't want within your defence force.

and before someone says something along the lines of swap gays with blcks (in regards to my comments, as opposed to the different context of celumnaz's post) i'll slap them:P

Sexuality is different to race imo tongue.gif

anyways how do they do the whole male/female aspect of the military? anyone care to enlighten me?

Edited by bathory, 25 February 2005 - 03:29 PM.

#39    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

I don't know about the American armed forces, but the British armed forces deal with male/female soldiers quite well.

For instance, it is illegal for males to be in female accomodation and vice versa.
No relationships outwith certain ranks. IE: A private having a relationship with a Captain and so on.
As for gays in the British Army, the fact that it is now legal is not whole new concept. Prior to it being legal the British Army still had gays amongst there ranks but it was a kind of open secret. Now that it is legal it still seems to be viewed the same way, a kind of open secret.

I regularly spend time with a large number of male and female soldiers, some are gay but most are straight. Personally someones sexual orientation does'nt come into the equation. If an individual can do there job, great, if not then I don't want to work with them straight or gay.

On a side note, if a homosexual male soldier ever made a pass at me(not likely, but hey, we are talking hypothetically here) wink2.gif  then I'd honestly be flattered. That's my approach to it anyway.

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#40    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

We are not talking about the civilian work force Talon. We are talking about the military. The military won't take you if you are over 31 years of age. Is that discrimination?

Thats most likely due to health issues, or how much of an investment someone is going to be. Being gay does not mean your going to keel over in basic training.

Why do you people always have to be so dense.

Despite what your insults are trying to convey, beleiving in equally does not make someone stupid. rolleyes.gif

But the military does. Please keep the argument in proper context.

This IS in proper context Joc. The military is bigoted, we on the left-wing are arguing against that bigotry. At one point does the right-wing seem to think that goes off topic?

Just another example of how you twist everything to be 'bad'. You people are so shallow minded it is sometimes just plain unbelievable.

Er...noooooo, it would be the ones firing people for their sexuality and those who are arguing we should just turn a blind eye to this bigotry who are 'shallow-minded' rolleyes.gif

It is shallow and full of hate.

And your military's actions arn't? Tell me Joc, would you have a such a 'who cares, its the armies buisness' if it was blacks who weren't allowed in the army?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users