Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog Cares for Trapped Kitten

GoldenWolf

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/dog-cares-trapped-kitten-194200492.html

A South Carolina resident called police on Monday to report she'd heard a dog barking since Saturday. When animal control officer Michelle Smith followed the noise down a steep embankment to a ravine, she found a 5-year-old dog - who was nursing a tiny kitten. "I'm thinking that it just couldn't get back up with the kitten, and I don't think it was willing to leave the kitten," Smith said.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/22248906/anderson-officer-rescues-dog-found-nursing-kitten?hpt=us_bn8

• Like 5

Well, one part of me wants to point out the power of oxytocin, so no big deal really. The other part of me wants to use this as another example of altruistic behaviour exhibited by non-human animals.

We humans are not different in kind, only by degrees.

May all sentient beings be free from suffering.

ahimsa paramo dharma

• Like 1

To bad humans are not like this...Would be a better world.

• Like 3

I know this well my dog would protect my two cats with her life and the cats adore her - unfortunately, they hate each other, sometimes swatting each other with their paws and getting into hissing and growling competitions - the dog routinely breaks them up and sends them into their respective corners for time out.

• Like 4

Anyone else notice that the dog and kitty kind of look alike (coloring that is). It's a heartwarming thing to see one species adopt another.

• Like 3

555564_574173689273449_213372385_n.jpg

:)

• Like 7

Aww... :wub:

• Like 1

To bad humans are not like this...Would be a better world.

Some dogs bite and kill things. Some people do too. Do you really believer there are zero kind people in the world that would, for example, try to rescue a baby who was trapped somewhere?

I would amend your statement to say too bad MORE humans aren't like this. But to imply none are is just blindly negative in a huge way.

• Like 1

579415_569921956365289_514053395_n.jpg

everybody now ... in the key of C#m7

• Like 1

Some dogs bite and kill things. Some people do too. Do you really believer there are zero kind people in the world that would, for example, try to rescue a baby who was trapped somewhere?

I would amend your statement to say too bad MORE humans aren't like this. But to imply none are is just blindly negative in a huge way.

[media=]

Oh trust me, I can go on, but this is not the topic.......

How many wars have dogs caused?....How many toxins do Dogs put in the earth?

Either way, I can show a thousand things like above.....I no I can not find much that is negative for dogs...

Dogs that bite and kill things do it to eat, protection, rabid, or were neglected and hurt by a person.

My statement stands, and I will go to my grave saying it....." To bad people do not have the unconditional love, caring, sharing, and heart that dogs do ".....

I would prefer to say Wolves, but they are the same.

Edited by Sakari

Sakari, you are so right!! You know the story of my Gypsy, he was a very special little guy.

My dog Gypsy took care of a kitten that had a broken shoulder like he was her mother or father I guess, he couldn't nurse her but he sure did everything else and helped get that little kitten back to health. I've since lost both of them and I miss them terribly. They had a bond that couldn't be broken. When I took one to the vet, I had to take the other or they would panic. Always together, forever. People could learn a lot from animals, they could be be more... um... human.

• Like 1

Sakari, you are so right!! You know the story of my Gypsy, he was a very special little guy.

My dog Gypsy took care of a kitten that had a broken shoulder like he was her mother or father I guess, he couldn't nurse her but he sure did everything else and helped get that little kitten back to health. I've since lost both of them and I miss them terribly. They had a bond that couldn't be broken. When I took one to the vet, I had to take the other or they would panic. Always together, forever. People could learn a lot from animals, they could be be more... um... human.

I do know your story.

Some people get that gift of love, and get it....Some people do not.

Maybe we are the ones that have souls and do not even know it :)

( the ones who have had that gift of unconditional love, and cherish it )

I hope the dogs owner takes the kitten in as well.

I'm the sort of guy who likes animals better than a lot of humans, but I bet if animals were smart enough they would make the same mistakes humans have.

I'm the sort of guy who likes animals better than a lot of humans, but I bet if animals were smart enough they would make the same mistakes humans have.

They are smarter :)

That is why they do not make the same mistakes....

Hahahhaa, who feeds who??? And you think they aren't smarter... silly person... We are their shepherds, they are our teachers of unconditional love.

Hahahhaa, who feeds who??? And you think they aren't smarter... silly person... We are their shepherds, they are our teachers of unconditional love.

Evidence to back that up?

They are smarter :)

That is why they do not make the same mistakes....

Haha I know what you guys are saying. Animals are definitely smart, smarter than a lot of people give them credit for, especially their emotions. As a kid, our cat would always protect my little sister from my bullying.

I guess there are two ways to look at it: What's smarter?, Being able to build bridges and building etc. or not destroying bridges and building. I know which one I like more.

How many wars have dogs caused?....How many toxins do Dogs put in the earth?

Either way, I can show a thousand things like above.....I no I can not find much that is negative for dogs...

Dogs that bite and kill things do it to eat, protection, rabid, or were neglected and hurt by a person.

I am an abolitionist, I don't think it is ethically right to treat non-human animals as property. Pets are a tricky category. I think it is ethically right to care for stray or abandoned pets, since we have domesticated them to suit our needs I think we bear some responsibility towards them.

That said, it is easy to anthropomorphize animals, especially pets. Sure they exhibit basic emotions like fear and sadness, but beyond that it gets messy. I think most pet owners could give examples where they believe their pets exhibited more complex emotions like guilt or shame, but I think that's because we have conditioned them with scoldings.

As far as philosophy and the law is concerned, homo sapiens is the only species that is a moral agent.

"Traditionally, only rational human beings can be moral agents, for they must hold responsibility for their actions. Marginal human beings, such as children and brain-damaged people, are not regarded as having moral responsibility for their behavior, and hence are not moral agents. However, they are still the objects of moral consideration and are protected from suffering by moral laws. Accordingly they are referred to as moral patients."

I submit that animals should also be classified as moral patients. Sometimes, the law is an ass.

• Like 1

I am an abolitionist, I don't think it is ethically right to treat non-human animals as property. Pets are a tricky category. I think it is ethically right to care for stray or abandoned pets, since we have domesticated them to suit our needs I think we bear some responsibility towards them.

That said, it is easy to anthropomorphize animals, especially pets. Sure they exhibit basic emotions like fear and sadness, but beyond that it gets messy. I think most pet owners could give examples where they believe their pets exhibited more complex emotions like guilt or shame, but I think that's because we have conditioned them with scoldings.

As far as philosophy and the law is concerned, homo sapiens is the only species that is a moral agent.

"Traditionally, only rational human beings can be moral agents, for they must hold responsibility for their actions. Marginal human beings, such as children and brain-damaged people, are not regarded as having moral responsibility for their behavior, and hence are not moral agents. However, they are still the objects of moral consideration and are protected from suffering by moral laws. Accordingly they are referred to as moral patients."

I submit that animals should also be classified as moral patients. Sometimes, the law is an ass.

Your problem here.....

" pet owners "......

Sorry, I feel that these are gifts to us, they find us. They give us, and teach us ( those willing to listen ) un conditional love.

We do not own them, they do not own us.....We share something special.

As I said, some are lucky enough to experience this, some never do.

I don't like when people keep animals as property, like someone buying a dog just so it can be a guard dog. But I've always considered my pets to be family. If one of my pets died I would be devastated.

• Like 2

Your problem here.....

" pet owners "......

You're right, I should have said guardians.

Sorry, I feel that these are gifts to us, they find us. They give us, and teach us ( those willing to listen ) un conditional love.

We do not own them, they do not own us.....We share something special.

As I said, some are lucky enough to experience this, some never do.

Agreed, on all counts.

• Like 1

I don't like when people keep animals as property, like someone buying a dog just so it can be a guard dog.

I agree. There is a neighbour here who thinks his dog is a lawn ornament. He keeps it chained up on his front lawn, 24 hrs/365 days a year. The worst part is, the SPCA Act says that's just fine.

• Like 1

You could say the same about people if you wanted to. And you can find tons of youtube videos showing dogs attacking something or people doing really great, loving things. I think most dogs are great! Some are definitely better than some people. Some, many? But not all.

But yah, this isn't a people vs. dog topic. I certainly wasn't making it one.

And my comment wasn't particularly to you either, Sakari, just a general thing. I see a lot of people who HATE the human race as a whole, and I dislike generalizations. They're usually wrong.

You could say the same about people if you wanted to. And you can find tons of youtube videos showing dogs attacking something or people doing really great, loving things. I think most dogs are great! Some are definitely better than some people. Some, many? But not all.

But yah, this isn't a people vs. dog topic. I certainly wasn't making it one.

And my comment wasn't particularly to you either, Sakari, just a general thing. I see a lot of people who HATE the human race as a whole, and I dislike generalizations. They're usually wrong.

I know your comment was not at me. I just take these things real personal, as it is near and dear to my heart.

And people kill for pleasure, and greed, and by polluting....Sorry, had to through that in :)

405779_586124848078333_1297147821_n.jpg

hmmm ... mmm ? .... mmm

• Like 1