Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Monstrous Worm: A 50-Year Old Mystery

Still Waters

September of this year will mark the 50th anniversary of one of the strangest and most mysterious creature-type reports to have ever crossed my path. It’s made even weirder by the fact that it was secretly investigated by the British Royal Air Force!

According to a now-declassified, six-page file titled “Unexplained Event’ at Avebury, Wilts.,” that had been prepared by a Royal Air Force officer, an extraordinary event of near-monstrous proportions, occurred within the old, famous, standing -stones of Avebury, Wiltshire, England on a September day way back in 1962.

http://www.mania.com...cle_133439.html

It is a pity that people very rarely take any notice of stories like this, and even less frequently are willing to discuss them in any remotely serious way, instead preferring to spend endless amounts of time arguing the same old things, over and over and over endlessly. There's an extraordinary number of stories like this. Extraterrestrial probe? plasma? hallucination? Did she make it all up to seek attention? (Psychology had hardly been heard of in 1962, of course). It is a shame that no one ever talks about stories like this.

• Like 1

Chase it down with fire! D:

• Like 1

Now Kitty, you always want to hurt something- :-* I'd love it to be real, but it sounds kind of fishy.

As far as I can tell from what's here, an unnamed person reported an odd event to the RAF, which sent an unnamed person to investigate, as cited in an unattributed report.

Well, at least it wasn't reported in The Sun.

As far as I can tell from what's here, an unnamed person reported an odd event to the RAF, which sent an unnamed person to investigate, as cited in an unattributed report.

Well, at least it wasn't reported in The Sun.

Fascinating isn't it?

Sounds like a night terror. Maybe she fell asleep in her car and then woke frightened to death and went to the authorities.

If it was an ET, it is not like any I've heard of before.

LSD is a powerful hallucinogen!

In my opinion the ball of light she saw was typical of reports of ball lightning , which then exploded near to her, (15 feet away) causing the bright flash of light.

The report then states

''For a moment the witness was blinded by its intensity and she instinctively fell to her knees. When her eyes cleared, however, she was faced with a horrific sight''

I believe the worm she then saw was a hallucination caused by the fact that her eyes were probably not back to 'normal' at this time and the fact that she must have been in a state of shock or panic.

• Like 1

Well from the report It sounds like the guy did nothing more than laugh at her

This story in its self seems to be a bit of a dead end, however on the same website there is another version of this story with a few details (either missing from or added to the OP's article).

On the ground near the standing stone, however, was a three-foot long trail of a slime-like substance, not unlike that left by a snail. Lees’ colleague quickly improvised and, after racing back to the woman’s house, scooped some of the material onto a spoon and into a drinking glass.

http://www.mania.com...cle_116222.html

There is also an idea that these stones are related in some way to Snake worship. This ties in quite nicely with a worm forming from a ball of light.

An interpretation of the name Abury or Au-bury can, according to some experts, be translated to mean Serpens Solis or Sun Snake.

http://www.aquiziam....ury-stones.html (scroll just over half way down the page).

Edited by Junior Chubb