Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

They Struck OIL!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,624 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postand then, on 09 February 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

BTW - sorry if I offend any Californians here - nothing personal but your state has become a bit of a comedy routine for the rest of the nation.

As a Californian, I agree with you.

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,628 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

View Postninjadude, on 09 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

only for conservatives and mostly in the South. Don't project.

And "fracking" is bad.
P'raps you need to look at the "red/blue" maps from the last election.  When California comes, hat in hand, to the federal government for a bailout as they inevitably will, the gravy train of a social experiment will end and oh my the howling that will ensue :w00t:

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#18    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

If fracking does cause quakes, then wouldn't that actually be a good thing since the process relieves pressure from inside the Earth's crust that could grow to be an even worse quake later?

I believe these Earth tremors were in previously non seismic areas. You also have a water table to consider as well. And heh. Tempting mother nature is never a bright idea.

#19    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,628 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 10 February 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

I always saw California as one of the most progressive states in the US.
Of course it is orcseeker.  The problem is that the government is SO "progressive" that they cannot possibly pay for all the "good" they are trying to do for their citizens.  Reality can be a real drag sometimes :(

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#20    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Well if Bush jr was still in the White House he would make up a lie about CA having WMDs and invade the state like he did with Iraq and Tea Partiers will be ok with it even though hundreds of thousands will die.

#21    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Well if Bush jr was still in the White House he would make up a lie about CA having WMDs and invade the state like he did with Iraq and Tea Partiers will be ok with it even though hundreds of thousands will die.

Or accusing them of trying to secede by floating away. :tsu:

#22    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

View Postrashore, on 09 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

I wonder how the farmers feel about this... I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the shale area overlaps with a lot of farming areas.
Oh who needs farms when there's oil rashore ....right .A few people lose their livelihoods ,and land is decimated .No biggie .
Just look at the gulf of Mexico .No biggie .

Miss me?

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 February 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

Oh who needs farms when there's oil rashore ....right .A few people lose their livelihoods ,and land is decimated .No biggie .
Actually the farmers are no doubt delighted; a tiny bit of their land is used and they draw nice royalties.

#24    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 February 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Actually the farmers are no doubt delighted; a tiny bit of their land is used and they draw nice royalties.

True story. Happens all the time here in the Northwest US.

#25    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Happens all the time here in the Northwest US.

where they doing oil in the Pac NW ?>

#26    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,294 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 February 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

I would imagine they would do what many other farmers have done.....sell  the land and retire in luxury.
Why work your butt off when you can sell it for a small fortune?
Trust me, if I were a farmer and there was oil on my land and someone offered me enough to retire, would I think twice...would I heck.

I would love it if England had enough oil without having to buy it from the arabs.....why can`t we all be rich instead?

Edited by freetoroam, 10 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,309 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

They're lucky they're not in Australia then - the government owns everything below the ground even on your private property. The oil is theirs (that's how despite massive opposition there's fracking and coal-seam gas tests across the country - there's nothing anyone can do to stop it).

#28    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

They might have even known about this for years driving the farmers out through water rights legislation. I dont know could be throwing darts at a barnhouse on that one.

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,294 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 10 February 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

They might have even known about this for years driving the farmers out through water rights legislation. I dont know could be throwing darts at a barnhouse on that one.
you could be onto something here. I do not know about the water rights legislation, but this sounds like exactly the sort of thing they would do, its cheaper than buying the land off them after telling them there is oil on it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#30    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Original water war not associated:

http://en.wikipedia....rnia_Water_Wars

San Joaquin Valley is the current water war and one drive along i-5 will show you the impact it has had.

http://blogs.ei.colu...-to-developers/

http://www.thedailyb...n-the-vine.html

Edited by AsteroidX, 10 February 2013 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users