Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Frozen in time: Inside the world of cryonics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,887 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

In pictures: Frozen in time.

8 Images

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• >^.^<

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Is Walt Disney still frozen?

Edited by xXHellkittiesXx, 16 August 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#3    BabySemtex

BabySemtex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

what if reincarnation is real, and your soul goes to another body, and then you get revived?

#4    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:43 AM

Waste of space and money.  Freezing ruptures living cells and we don't know how to prevent it yet.  If you are frozen your cells are ruptured and when they thaw you out you will just turn to goo after you are out a while,  unless you are pretreated with something to stabilize.   Might make a fun SciFi movie. Goo zombies.

Edited by Taut, 18 August 2011 - 01:44 AM.

#5    kwizard

kwizard

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

• "The greatness of a nation, and its moral progress can be measured by how its animals are treated."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

Walt Disney is anti-semitic....keep him on ice.

View Postchinitial, on 16 August 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

Some reptiles and other forms of life in Artic are able to bear low temperatures even when almost all their bodies are made of ice because of glycerol in their livers or
Dimethyl sulfoxide or DMSO (that thing with the stink between garlic and cabbage) and certain cryoprotector sugars. But the process of freezing has to be very slow because it's toxic in our weather. Frozen semen preserves genetic material.

#6    fatalcharm

fatalcharm

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

This has never made sense to me. First of all, I know that freezing a human body causes all the water in the body to expand, thus damaging the cells. If we had some kind of anti-freeze chemical in our bodies (like some animals and reptiles do) then perhaps this wouldn't happen.

The other issue is that these people already wait until they are dead before having their remains frozen. Once your dead, your dead. If they chose to be frozen before dieing, then in theory they could be thawed, and given a cure for whatever disease they had. However, they wait until they die before being frozen, I can't ever imagine a cure for death being invented, and if it ever did then technically these people would be zombies. Who wants to be a zombie?

#7    Hartmut

Hartmut

-

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• Without artists, the worlds would be,
    like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostBabySemtex, on 16 August 2011 - 11:57 PM, said:

what if reincarnation is real, and your soul goes to another body, and then you get revived?
My guess is that the revived body would by dead. No soul, no life.
However,  a different soul could chose to reincarnate in that revived body.

Edited by Hartmut, 16 September 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#8    Hartmut

Hartmut

-

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• Without artists, the worlds would be,
    like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Postfatalcharm, on 28 August 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

This has never made sense to me. First of all, I know that freezing a human body causes all the water in the body to expand, thus damaging the cells. If we had some kind of anti-freeze chemical in our bodies (like some animals and reptiles do) then perhaps this wouldn't happen.

The other issue is that these people already wait until they are dead before having their remains frozen. Once your dead, your dead. If they chose to be frozen before dieing, then in theory they could be thawed, and given a cure for whatever disease they had. However, they wait until they die before being frozen, I can't ever imagine a cure for death being invented, and if it ever did then technically these people would be zombies. Who wants to be a zombie?
No one wants to be a zombie, but I would not put it beyond  science (In a far off future) to revive or preserve a dead body. It also depends, if the soul of a dead body wants to hang around until the dead body is revived again.

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,065 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostTaut, on 18 August 2011 - 01:43 AM, said:

Waste of space and money.  Freezing ruptures living cells and we don't know how to prevent it yet.  If you are frozen your cells are ruptured and when they thaw you out you will just turn to goo after you are out a while,  unless you are pretreated with something to stabilize.   Might make a fun SciFi movie. Goo zombies.
The other part being that memories and brain activity is electrical in nature. So even if the person could be brought to life, it would have no knowledge to it, and not have the same personnality.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users