Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

no idea

tii

Hi everyone, since moving into a new place my clock radio thats in my bedroom randomly blasts on, the button is off, at the same time my fridge light either dims or whole thing turns off. The first time it happened my fridge sounded like a truck rattling past before the light started dimming then it just kept turning on and off by itself while the radio started blasting. And this last time all the lights in my flat dimmed but at different times then my TV turned off then back on. This went on for about 5 mins each time. I've lived here about 4 months and its happened 4 times out of the blue morning, arvo, night time. Thought it could be a fuse but that wouldn't make a radio turn on...would it? I have had different experiences over my lifetimr but this hss got me baffled....Any ideas?

I agree. Sounds like poor wiring plus power surges and brown-outs (power wanes but doesn't go out completely)

Sadly this stuff can damage your electronics so plugging them into some sort of surge protector or a unit that moderates the power stream can help. In the meantime contact an electrician like Lilly said because this could become a problem later on if not addressed now.

• Like 3

Thought it could be a fuse but that wouldn't make a radio turn on...would it?

If incandescent bulbs change intensity when other appliances (ie refrigerator, furnace) power cycles, then a wiring defect exists. Lights can dim or brighten. In most cases, this is not dangerous. Your's sounds so bad that a potential human safety issue exists. From your descriptions, you needed an electrician yesterday.

One reason for this can be a defective or missing neutral wire or even a defect in a nearest utility transformer. Nobody should leave until a defect is clearly identified - without any doubt. Your description implies a defect that serious.

• 1 month later...

Rats can and will gnaw on electrical wiring cables..you name it.. Their teeth are constantly growing long.. And that is why they gnaw so much.. To whittle those teeth down.. Yet they can do a lot of damage to wiring in people's homes. Call up a pest control company.. To come check it out.