Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cow tipping myth dispelled

cow tipping myth

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 September 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Americans are prone to try this sort of thing on people they think are naive, and being a foreigner to some Americans automatically puts you in that category.  I don't know how many times I've been offered Rocky Mountain Oysters, on the theory that I will be upset when I find out what it is.  Thing is, Asians eat a lot wider variety of foods than Americans without such silly sensitivities.

I think that is quite true, I've been with quite a few Asian friends to restaurants where they would instruct me on what to order but ask if its disgusting or smelly to me, but its fine.  I don't think they've ever tried to get me to eat something where they didn't tell me what it was, although, I've never steered them wrong either on food.
On the issue of cow tipping, I think whoever said about them getting trampled, yeah, that's true.  I've gotten my car stuck in mud in a downpour out there by San Antonio and had to walk a few miles as I was on a county dirt road to a house with the lights on.  Along the way, I kept hearing a lot of heavy feet following mine and it turns out there was a fence with a lot of cows behind it that were following me.  I'm just glad it was cows and not anything else on that dark stormy night....

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostMantis914, on 20 September 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I think that is quite true, I've been with quite a few Asian friends to restaurants where they would instruct me on what to order but ask if its disgusting or smelly to me, but its fine.  I don't think they've ever tried to get me to eat something where they didn't tell me what it was, although,

Unless you've been to another country or visited someone's house, where they know Americans don't find it palatable to eat dogs or cats, you should be fine. It becomes mystery meat under the name of the dish which we would normally make from beef or pork. They may or may not tell you later exactly what it was.

#18    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostMichelle, on 20 September 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Unless you've been to another country or visited someone's house, where they know Americans don't find it palatable to eat dogs or cats, you should be fine. It becomes mystery meat under the name of the dish which we would normally make from beef or pork. They may or may not tell you later exactly what it was.

You should check your facts, many Natives here eat dog. And I'm pretty sure I've eaten cat as well.

#19    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postsupervike, on 20 September 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Yeah, I thought it was kinda like Snipe Hunting.

Not that I ever snipe hunted before.

Here snipe don't exist, but across the big water they do or did. That's where the term sniper comes from.  But again I've taken people snipe hunting, just to laugh at them. It's kind of like getting a new employee to go look for a box of A.I.R. The quick ones get it, sadly a lot more don't

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostHeathenRoyalty, on 21 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Here snipe don't exist, but across the big water they do or did. That's where the term sniper comes from.  But again I've taken people snipe hunting, just to laugh at them. It's kind of like getting a new employee to go look for a box of A.I.R. The quick ones get it, sadly a lot more don't
Ah that's not fair.  Maybe it is not quickness but trust -- some people are more trusting than others.

#21    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,332 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

Why don't they just let the cow drink copius amounts of vodka... I'm sure it will tip over on it's own.  :passifier:

#22    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostHeathenRoyalty, on 21 September 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

You should check your facts, many Natives here eat dog. And I'm pretty sure I've eaten cat as well.

What facts are those? I assume you are talking about Native Americans? My ex husband and my husband are both part Cherokee. We have a high population of Native Americans in Tennessee and the majority of them would never eat a dog or cat.

That does not negate the fact that the vast majority of people in the US would never even consider eating a horse, much less a dog or cat

#23    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

View PostMichelle, on 21 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

What facts are those? I assume you are talking about Native Americans? My ex husband and my husband are both part Cherokee. We have a high population of Native Americans in Tennessee and the majority of them would never eat a dog or cat.

That does not negate the fact that the vast majority of people in the US would never even consider eating a horse, much less a dog or cat

I'm sure at many times Cherokees have eaten horse and dog. I can agree with that logic. Not many people want to eat Scruffy and Seabiscuit, although for the longest; we've been feeding Seabiscuit to Scruffy.

#24    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 September 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

Ah that's not fair.  Maybe it is not quickness but trust -- some people are more trusting than others.
I can agree with that on some levels.  But when someone asks me to grab a box of air, I go get an empty box and shut the lid.

#25    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Man, we've gone off track here. :whistle:

#26    000kaos000

000kaos000

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

• you know who invented salad poor people

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

this crap im a dairy farmer and the cows sleep laying down the do get a good fright if you sneak up on them tho

#27    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

How much do you tip a cow?

#28    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,415 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 09 June 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

How much do you tip a cow?

20% :rofl:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#29    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

View Postpallidin, on 21 September 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

Why don't they just let the cow drink copius amounts of vodka... I'm sure it will tip over on it's own.  :passifier:

there was a story I read a couple of years ago about a cow that a some leftovers from a distillery(?) and got drunk rolled down a hill and got wedged between two trees. they had to yank it out with a backhoe.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users