Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is the Mystery of the Number 7

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#16    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,772 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Whatever your number of choice, you can find evidence to suggest it's holy/sacred/swell/discotastic. I've always thought it interesting that twelves and twenties are basic to various languages -- in English, each number up to 12 has its own word, then we go to three-ten, four-ten, five-ten and so on to 20. In French, the numbers go up to sixty and then go six-ten, four-twenties and four-twenties-ten, yet Latin isn't like that.

I suspect our Past Basset Masters sat down with the Germanic and Gallic ancestors in the Dark Ages and gave them this info to make sure they would ceaselessly fight over the next 1,500 years over which is the holiest of numbers, 12 or 20.  It's all covered in my forthcoming, mind-blowing expose We Are As Fleas On Their Backs: The Secret History of Our Past Basset Masters.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#17    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 07 January 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

I realize that this is again the number 7, so this might be an explanation as well. Subconsciously it was used already in the olden times,because it is the amount we are able to remember. Just another possibility I suppose.

It might be a plausible explanation based on an oral tradition.  Just speculating.

However, I do recall hearing that easier to remember larger amounts of information in song.  Perhaps, this might be why bards were important.  Again, I'm just guessing.

#18    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,709 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

The prominence of number 7  doesnt arise from the christian era or anything, it much older.
The imporatnace of number 7 would have originated with the Indo-Eurpoean expansion.

India/Hinduism has
  • The 7 notes of music - sa ni da pa ma ga ri sa
  • The 7 days of a week, which originated from astronomy and myth/religion/pantheons - Ravivar (from surya or the sun), Somvar (which originated from soma  or the Moon), Mangalvar (which originated from Mangala,  or Mars), Budhwar (which oriignated from Budha or Mercury), Guruvar (which originated from Guru or Jupiter),  Shukravar (originating from Shukra or Venus) and Shanivar (originating from shani or Saturn). Indian Astrology includes the Moon also in it as Rahu ( referring top the North Lunar Node) and Ketu (referring to the South Lunar Node) giving rise to the Navagraha (the Nine celestial bodies)
  • The 7 lower planes of existence -bhuloka , bhuvarloka, svargaloka, maharloka, janaloka, tapoloka  and satyaloka/ Brahmaloka
  • The 7 planes of Consciousness -annamaya, pranamaya, manomaya, vignanamaya, janah, tapo and  Brahma
  • The 7 planes below earth, or the "hells" - atala, vitala, sutala, mahatala, tatatala, rasatala and patala.
  • The 7 divisions of the Planet into spheres or dvipas or islands -jambu, shaka, kusha, krauncha, shalmali, pluksha and pushkara
  • The 7 Seas -kara, ksheera, sura, ghrita, rusa, dahi and jala
  • The 7 tounges of Agni/Fire  or the sapta jivhas , which corresponds to the seven energies of the human body, the saptadhatus - kali, karali, manojava, sulohita, sudhumravarna, visharuch-devi and sphulingini.
  • Surya the Sun God is depicted as riding in a chariot pulled by seven horses.

Edited by The_Spartan, 07 January 2013 - 07:07 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#19    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

View Postdreamland, on 07 January 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

I know what is the mystery behind number 1.. It represents monday and its time to go to work again :cry:

Don't even get me started on mondays....... :td:  :hmm:

View Postjaylemurph, on 07 January 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Whatever your number of choice, you can find evidence to suggest it's holy/sacred/swell/discotastic. I've always thought it interesting that twelves and twenties are basic to various languages -- in English, each number up to 12 has its own word, then we go to three-ten, four-ten, five-ten and so on to 20. In French, the numbers go up to sixty and then go six-ten, four-twenties and four-twenties-ten, yet Latin isn't like that.

I suspect our Past Basset Masters sat down with the Germanic and Gallic ancestors in the Dark Ages and gave them this info to make sure they would ceaselessly fight over the next 1,500 years over which is the holiest of numbers, 12 or 20.  It's all covered in my forthcoming, mind-blowing expose We Are As Fleas On Their Backs: The Secret History of Our Past Basset Masters.

--Jaylemurph

Hey Jayle, long time no see (like I'm the one that should be talking). I need to add something to your French facts here, which does have it's importance.  What you say is in actuality only correct in France. In Belgium there are the words Septante = 70 and Nonante = 90 and the Swiss have actually one more Octante or Huitante (depending on region) = 80.

Edited by TheSearcher, 07 January 2013 - 06:53 AM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#20    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,709 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 07 January 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

--Jaylemurph

I thought your basset would migrated to the happy hunting grounds...and seriously dude, i thought you had kicked the bucket.
Welcome back!!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#21    Peter Cox

Peter Cox

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

• The man who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the man busy doing it.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

7 deadly sins?

#22    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,100 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Or the important 7 course dinner..

#23    granpa

granpa

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

the hebrew word for seven is sheba which could also be sheva

I have cooked you a meal, cut it into little pieces, and set it before you  but I'm not going to chew it for you
And no one is forcing you to eat it. If you dont want it then dont eat it.

I am not a big believer in science by combat.
Arguing doesn't establish who is right. Arguing only establishes who is the better arguer.

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,925 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

as in "the Queen of Sheba"?

#25    granpa

granpa

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

http://www.bluelette...m?strongs=H7651
שֶׁבַע

http://www.bluelette...m?strongs=H7652
שֶׁבַע

http://www.bluelette...m?strongs=H7614
שְׁבָא

Edited by granpa, 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

I have cooked you a meal, cut it into little pieces, and set it before you  but I'm not going to chew it for you
And no one is forcing you to eat it. If you dont want it then dont eat it.

I am not a big believer in science by combat.
Arguing doesn't establish who is right. Arguing only establishes who is the better arguer.

#26    Peter Cox

Peter Cox

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

• The man who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the man busy doing it.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

the 7 year itch when married lol ? hahahahaha

#27    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• 1,456 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Seven State Of Origin wins, in a row, for Queensland.

#28    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Because Seven EIGHT Nine! -ba-dum-tsh-

Posted Image

~MEH~

#29    Peter Cox

Peter Cox

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

lol Seven is also the only number you can show using 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other all raised up.

LOL hahahahahahahahaha

#30    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Numbers also had meanings,  seven was several or many, the greater part of ten.  Jesus said you must forgive seventy times, many or several times:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users