Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gun Laws Vs. Homicides By State

gunlaw statistics gun control

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,881 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostSakari, on 31 December 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Where is Alaska in all of this?.....They have the loosest gun laws.
http://en.wikipedia....States_by_state

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#62    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 December 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Switzerland has around 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes.   So huge private militias loaded with assault rifles are good for gun crime rates.

So having a private militia with assault rifles everywhere is okay so long as it's regulated by the police afterwards, and thank heavens for that, as the same people not committing gun crimes with their assault rifles for all those years won't be trustworthy later in life since older age causes lower trustworthiness.

I think the difference between Switzerland and the US is that everyone is forced to do military service in Switzerland and thus is trained and knows their responibililties.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#63    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 December 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Thank you....

Wow, Alaska is way down the list.....And as said, they have the loosest gun laws in the Nation.

So much for less guns = less homocides.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#64    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,614 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostSakari, on 31 December 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Thank you....

Wow, Alaska is way down the list.....And as said, they have the loosest gun laws in the Nation.

Only one small problem with your logic, looser gun laws not equal to more guns. While Alaska has many more hunting guns per person then California you will find many less handguns.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#65    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thank you....

Guns don't kill people.... Urban areas kill people.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#66    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thank you....

I don't even know what to say about this reasoning.

#67    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostMaizer, on 31 December 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

I don't even know what to say about this reasoning.

That the numbers speak for themselves?

Facts speak for themselves?

It is not reasoning, it is fact.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#68    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 31 December 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

You dispute that citizens with handguns can challenge a military? What about Libya... Syria... Afghanistan??

Not "a" military. The US military. Those places are not the US where we spend more on the military than nearly all countries on earth combined. Certainly in backward 3rd world countries, citizens with handguns can challenge a military.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#69    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 December 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Stop letting government determine for you who should have a gun and who can't.

because people completely (or even marginally) unhinged should be able to have a gun? I don't think so. In fact, being unhinged is not very far from normal so that potentially means a lot of people that should NOT have guns.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#70    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,881 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

View Postninjadude, on 31 December 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

because people completely (or even marginally) unhinged should be able to have a gun? I don't think so. In fact, being unhinged is not very far from normal so that potentially means a lot of people that should NOT have guns.
Who determines what "even marginally unhinged" means?  You?   Don't flatter yourself.   When the government proves itself the least bit capable of treating mental illness with parity to physical illness your argument will just begin to make some sense.   When the government proves itself the least bit responsible for the use of its own guns, your bottomless vessel of trust will just begin to be deserved.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#71    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,881 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 December 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Only one small problem with your logic, looser gun laws not equal to more guns. While Alaska has many more hunting guns per person then California you will find many less handguns.
So now only handguns are the problem and people should have the right to bear more "hunting" guns.    Got it.

While you're making claims like this as if you have the state-to-state data on handguns, provide a link.

#72    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 December 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Who determines what "even marginally unhinged" means?  You?   Don't flatter yourself.   When the government proves itself the least bit capable of treating mental illness with parity to physical illness your argument will just begin to make some sense.   When the government proves itself the least bit responsible for the use of its own guns, your bottomless vessel of trust will just begin to be deserved.

who said anything about government treatment? One aspect of gun control would be all purchasers checked against a no-guns list - maintained by government but reported by health professionals.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#73    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,614 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 December 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

So now only handguns are the problem and people should have the right to bear more "hunting" guns. Got it.

While you're making claims like this as if you have the state-to-state data on handguns, provide a link.

Twist a lot?

But I am not surprised.

And here you have the data on background checks performed by state, as I said Alaska has less handguns:

Posted Image

In fact, in California ten times as many handguns were purchased than in Alaska.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#74    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 December 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

In fact, in California ten times as many handguns were purchased than in Alaska.

Questionmark,

Population of California - 37,691,912

Population of Alaska - 722,718

You can not use " total numbers "........How could you not know this?

That is why originally, the numbers given were " per capita "....

That should be extremelly embarrassing for you, and I was very happy to point it out....

Edited by Sakari, 31 December 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#75    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,881 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 31 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

I think the difference between Switzerland and the US is that everyone is forced to do military service in Switzerland and thus is trained and knows their responibililties.
So the government forcing people to do something makes everything okay?   Is it the lack of training that's really at issue here now?    What is the real basis for correctness here anyway?

Also tagged with gunlaw, statistics, gun control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users