Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiment to help turtles has eerie result

Simbi Laveau

ohh, how better off the pkace would be if we DID have that Mayan Apocalypse..

• Like 2

Wow...

Whenever I see roadkill, I wonder how people could have hit the animal unless they purposely hit it.

I didn't think anyone would purposely hit an animal with their car, but I suppose you can never be too sure when it comes to people.

• Like 1

Sick, people can be so sick. If I can I stop and help them cross. Now I'll make sure I stop.

• Like 3

I got very upset one night when I wasn't paying attention and I ran over a dead cat, yep it was already lying dead on the road but I went over it with my tyres and heard the crunch of bones, it was the most awful moment and took me weeks to get over - just knowing I had been so careless. The poor owner would have had to retrieve a cat hit multiple times because of me, that's how I felt.

I simply cannot fathom how someone could swerve to kill an animal for the pleasure of taking aim. I feel sick that so many did that, it should be abherrant behaviour not common. :cry:

• Like 2

Sick, people can be so sick. If I can I stop and help them cross. Now I'll make sure I stop.

Ask me about the red tailed hawk some time,as I almost put it in my car,but was afraid it would flap and injure me while I drove

Animal care and control ,spoke to me like I was a,moron .....I got it rescued though .

• Like 3

I got very upset one night when I wasn't paying attention and I ran over a dead cat, yep it was already lying dead on the road but I went over it with my tyres and heard the crunch of bones, it was the most awful moment and took me weeks to get over - just knowing I had been so careless. The poor owner would have had to retrieve a cat hit multiple times because of me, that's how I felt.

I simply cannot fathom how someone could swerve to kill an animal for the pleasure of taking aim. I feel sick that so many did that, it should be abherrant behaviour not common. :cry:

There was some sort of study ,where the conclusion was,people had horrible car accidents ,trying to avoid hitting a dog or cat .

Consensus was,hit the animal ,you will survive then .

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself ,if I hit an animal .

I once had a dove fly into my windshield .

I heard its little head..thud.

I pulled over and looked for it .It flew off,but it still gnaws at me ,I probably mortally wounded it ,and then couldn't help it ....

*hangs head*

• Like 4

There was some sort of study ,where the conclusion was,people had horrible car accidents ,trying to avoid hitting a dog or cat .

I once had a dove fly into my windshield .

I heard its little head..thud.

I pulled over and looked for it .It flew off,but it still gnaws at me ,I probably mortally wounded it ,and then couldn't help it ....

*hangs head*

Yep it's very dangerous when people drive erratically to try and avoid hitting animals.

Unfortunate but practical that people don't change their course unless they are not going to affect anyone else around them.

I have hit animals, but never on purpose. I just don't understand people who can do these things. I know a way one could fix someone for doing it to a turtle. Hit them in the wallet were it hurts.

In Texas if you hit a deer, a common occurrence in some areas when you are just going on about your business, you can keep it if you call the game warden. Thus at least it would have served a purpose.

If you see a turtle on the road then simply put it in your trunk and take it to the creek. Use gloves and appropriate measures.

Edited by I believe you

I hit a deer one time and it wrecked my classic car I was trying to sell (it was drive able). The deer was alive but needed to be put down. A guy came along who had a gun and took care of it. He took the deer, but later he gave me some of the meat. Some turtles are tortoises and live on land.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

I hit a deer one time and it wrecked my classic car I was trying to sell (it was drive able). The deer was alive but needed to be put down. A guy came along who had a gun and took care of it. He took the deer, but later he gave me some of the meat. Some turtles are tortoises and live on land.

Lol cool story bro.

Thanks for the trivia too, however tortoises are land dwelling with elephant-like feet while turtles live in water and have webbed paddle-like feet. Sometimes turtles may temporarily venture onto land and tortoises into water, just like us humans going for a swim or a seal laying on the shore.

I hope you had insurance?

• Like 2

http://news.yahoo.co...-182457207.html

A senior at an agricultural college ,did an experiment to help turtles ,and made a shocking discovery .

Box turtles are in decline,.They frequently die while trying to cross roads traveled by cars.

The student took a rubber turtle ,and placed it in the road ,to see if he could come to a conclusion ,about a way to help them survive this behavior .

What he discovered ,is that people swerved ,to purposely hit the turtle .

In an hour,at least seven cars purposely hit the turtle,while others tried to hit it ,but missed .

The conclusions were that humans just prove they are superior .... ????

My conclusion ,as always ,is PEOPLE SUCK . Just this girl's opinion .

44725_419007098172509_663509453_n.jpg

House Agree's.

• Like 1

Good point. We have none of those here. It was a box turtle, they live on land but always near a river or some other body of water.

Edited by I believe you

Once, a while ago I was driving in my van from a rural area back into town.

The speed limit is, and I was going about 65mph.

Anyway, out of "nowhere" 2 things happened in a split second.

First, a spider crawled from the inside ceiling, hanging off it's thread right in front of my face, about no more than 7 inches.

Mind you, I'm going 65mph. I was getting ready to "swat" it away.

Then before I could do that, a wild jack-rabbit jumps across the street right in front of me.

I love animals, but I just held straight and I ran over the rabbit. The spider was still in front of my face.

The small "thump" scared the spider I guess, and it scurried back up to the van's ceiling.

With all that going on, and at that speed, I suppose I could have easily crashed if I made sudden moves.

I valued my human life over any non-human animal.

My mom accidently hit a cat while we were driving home one night. It was so quick and the cat just run out right in front of us. Hearing the body being crushed under the tires was horrific:( But my mom had to make a decision in less than a second, either run over the cat or into a ditch on one side of the road or into traffic on the other side (which probably would've killed us) sometimes you just don't have a choice.

I felt awful about the cat, but I blamed the owner for its death. It's stupid to let a cat roam freely near a busy road and so many people around here do it.

I know I'd blame and hate myself forever if one of my pets got run over. It's my responsibility to keep them safe and on my property.

But purposely swerving to hit an animal is pretty sick. I don't what the hell is wrong with some people.

Edited by RavenEyes19

A dissapointing finding but not all that surprising to be honest.

Exactly. Some people just have no respect for the 'lower life forms'

A dissapointing finding but not all that surprising to be honest.

Two summers ago we had a HUGE snapping turtle from our pond get hit out in front of the house. He must have been 1 foot and a half across.. a rather old chum. He got hit as he straddled the yellow line.. someone deliberatly swerved to hit him. made me infuriated. Had i of known the turtle was in the road i would have moved him

• Like 1

Once, a while ago I was driving in my van from a rural area back into town.

The speed limit is, and I was going about 65mph.

Anyway, out of "nowhere" 2 things happened in a split second.

First, a spider crawled from the inside ceiling, hanging off it's thread right in front of my face, about no more than 7 inches.

Mind you, I'm going 65mph. I was getting ready to "swat" it away.

Then before I could do that, a wild jack-rabbit jumps across the street right in front of me.

I love animals, but I just held straight and I ran over the rabbit. The spider was still in front of my face.

The small "thump" scared the spider I guess, and it scurried back up to the van's ceiling.

With all that going on, and at that speed, I suppose I could have easily crashed if I made sudden moves.

I valued my human life over any non-human animal.

I understand,but I couldnt do it. Especially a bunny. I would die.

My mom accidently hit a cat while we were driving home one night. It was so quick and the cat just run out right in front of us. Hearing the body being crushed under the tires was horrific:( But my mom had to make a decision in less than a second, either run over the cat or into a ditch on one side of the road or into traffic on the other side (which probably would've killed us) sometimes you just don't have a choice.

I felt awful about the cat, but I blamed the owner for its death. It's stupid to let a cat roam freely near a busy road and so many people around here do it.

I know I'd blame and hate myself forever if one of my pets got run over. It's my responsibility to keep them safe and on my property.

But purposely swerving to hit an animal is pretty sick. I don't what the hell is wrong with some people.

Well you were in the car . That's an entirely different scenario .

If I had other people in the car with me ,their lives are in my hands . I cannot choose an animal ,over another human .

Me alone,I just couldn't do it .

when I was a kid our cat didn't come home-we found tire tracks going into the ditch to hit her. Nice neighbours.

Wow, if I shared my true feelings on this I think I'd get banned from UM. :td:

Turtle, I think any dumbass aiming for an animal should just be automatically be posted as a serial killer. But maybe its just cause I'm a turtle breeder and a pot farmer

• Like 1