Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

PETA Condemns Pokemon 'Animal Abuse'

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#46    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostUrisk, on 11 October 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Otherwise what's the point.

To be honest with you ..... most of the time I can't see that there is one.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#47    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 242 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

PETA has been abusing our common sense for years.

#48    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

That's a shame, and I really do sympathise with that sentiment Ouija. :( I do sometimes wonder, but I really do try and see the merits of it. Surveying something rationalises something for public perception, when you do that, you can get more people to perhaps understand the issues. When you do that, you can then get people to sympathise.

"In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught." and all that :) And I stand firmly by this.

You know, we used to talk about rangering as this: if you have a school group of, say 30 kids out doing some wildlifey activity, planting trees or wild flowers, bug-hunting or pond-dipping for water beasties, and you taught them all about that wee environment at the focus of the activity, and if one kid went away and thought "Hmmm... next time I'll maybe put that bit of litter in a bin instead of on the ground" or "actually thsoe trees... I planted some trees and they are actually living things that help our planet, maybe it's not so great to rip them out/vandalise them" or "Hmmm... maybe wasps/spiders/frogs/whatever really aren't that bad... and Mr Ranger did say that they're part of something big..." then that was a victory for conservation on that day.

I remain hopeful that doing conservation work, especially that which can be used to teach people, will one day make enough of a difference. But it's a loooooooooong and thankless, uphill road. And we ain't near the top yet.

EDIT- err... is this way off topic or does this still count? :lol:

Edited by Urisk, 11 October 2012 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#49    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

As soon as I see PETA I think-idiots.  After the Pucton billboard thing I really can't stand any of their 'petitions'.  They are telling us what we can and cannot do as well as how we are to think.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  I don't HAVE to believe and live my life like you want me to.  That is MY choice.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#50    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 11 October 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

I don't HAVE to believe and live my life like you want me to.  That is MY choice.

Kinda stating the obvious there, aren't you? No one's forcing you to do anything.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#51    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I am a card carrying lifetime member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.

We believe all of gods little creatures have a place in this world, right next to the mashed potatos.

#52    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 October 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Heavens! Yet another person with a zoology degree ........ this thread is awash with them. Trouble is, not everything connected with a  qualification in zoology is for the benefit of animals, is it? Just because you are interested in animals doesn't automatically mean that you have concern for them or consideration for them. And your qualification doesn't qualify you to speak knowledgably about the effect of animal cruelty on humans, children in particular.

Thats why I did the masters ;)  Studying zoology gave me the basis of the biology and evolution of the animals, it helps to know what drives the animal, why it behaves in such a way and how human influence affects it. The masters gave me the opportunity to delve deeper into the  mechanisms of behaviour and the welfare issues faced by various domesticated and wild species. Ususally when you go to University to study them you'd want more than just an interest in animals to devote 4+ years of your life .

Now i'm carrying out research into the development of techniques into the diagnosis of illness in livestock making a difference to their welfare.....not carrying out petty campains against video games or putting up monuments to dead animals where those alive could do with the investment.

Im just saying having spent the majority of my life exposed to pokemon like millons of other kids has left me as well adjusted and horrified at animal cruelty as the next guy.

#53    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostFarmerboy, on 11 October 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Im just saying having spent the majority of my life exposed to pokemon like millons of other kids has left me as well adjusted and horrified at animal cruelty as the next guy.

Good. Except that not all the 'next guys' are horrified by animal cruelty. But I get your point.

#54    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 October 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

35yrs ago I was involved in this type of study ....... and that was exactly the conclusion they came to then: culling, or even eliminating badgers altogether will not eradicate TB. The only way to eliminate TB is to take proper care of cattle, to keep cattle healthy and in a natural(to them) environment. All this has been done before. The result is known, the trouble is, it doesn't suit those who want to make money from cattle, so off we go again on a pointless round of surveying and research.

The best way to stop the TB would be to vaccinate although this is expensive. Cattle kept on the grass as with the majority of stock in the UK and Ireland (as natural as yo can get) will still get TB and then get culled. Its easy to point the finger at the farmer but imo it doesnt suit the public who want cheap food. You want higher welfare? Pay more, then farmers could afford the vaccines and reduce TB.

#55    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostFarmerboy, on 11 October 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

The best way to stop the TB would be to vaccinate although this is expensive. Cattle kept on the grass as with the majority of stock in the UK and Ireland (as natural as yo can get) will still get TB and then get culled. Its easy to point the finger at the farmer but imo it doesnt suit the public who want cheap food. You want higher welfare? Pay more, then farmers could afford the vaccines and reduce TB.

I agree with you. If farm animals had to be raised humanely, if the public en masse were made aware of what this entailed and why, some might even become vegetarian or even *gasp* vegan!

#56    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh god are they nuts.

PETA=Protesting Everything Too Anally. :w00t:

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#57    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Pokemon doesn't condone animal abuse, because Pokemon aren't animals.

#58    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

If Pokemon were real animals, keeping them inside of a magical ball would be abuse. Pokemon aren't real so there is no abuse. PETA needs some more monkeys using makeup, they are just grasping at straws now.

#59    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

PETA gravitates to pop culture like vagabonds gravitate to the busy downtown with their hands out preying on guilt-ridden yuppies. Why Pokemon? Why stand at the entrance to the freeway with your "help homeless veteran" sign instead of the deserted country back road? They follow the trail of money. Get a job, you reprobates!

Posted Image

#60    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,643 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Postjgorman628, on 11 October 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

If Pokemon were real animals, keeping them inside of a magical ball would be abuse. Pokemon aren't real so there is no abuse. PETA needs some more monkeys using makeup, they are just grasping at straws now.

But the ball is magical...  Kinda like Jeannie's bottle on "I Dream of Jeannie"...  Doesn't PETA know anything?...  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users