Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Lack of Personal Bf Encounters


  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,806 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 07 February 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Now, can you imagine, someone having this sort of experience, they finally work up the nerve to post it on the web and suddenly they get hammered like a horse shoe on a black smith's anvil? Granted there are a lot of misidentifications, liars, and people fooled by others who themselves are sincere but have been duped by others. Then they tell what they saw or experienced only to have a load of oldies pounce on them, call them liars and basically treat them like a warm, steaming pile left by the dog on the kitchen floor. The only reason I hung around here was because several posters messaged me and I realized there might be some good here after all. Yeah, we still got flamers and a$$holes, but we do have people who are sincere and are looking for truth and fortunately they out number the less desirable group.

*snip*

An encounter would be an extremely personal and traumatic experience, I wouldn't doubt. (whether an actual bf encounter or not) And sure it would be tough to share something you might even be embarrassed about and then have to defend yourself and listen to possible ridicule.
But this isn't different from ghosts or demons or etc., is it?

Or,  maybe these personal experiences are different?

And also why would one not expect skeptical inquiry of all levels and types?
I would guess some who have experiences may even be harder on themselves than some skeptics would be, or pretty darn close. As they argue with themselves trying to wrap their own heads around what happened.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 08 February 2013 - 12:05 AM.


#17    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Keep in mind QC, we "discover" new creatures almost every day. They aren't new, they've been around for thousands of years, but we've only just gotten around to looking for them and finding them. In 2011 they was a new man-sized chimp discovered in.....Central America? I can't recall where it was exactly now and I'm too lazy to look it up, so feel free to Google for it.

I have to agree with Sam12six in that something as large as a Bigfoot is supposed to be shouldn't be in the realm of the "undiscovered" as yet. Especially when you considered that they have to have a large enough breeding population in order to maintain themselves, find food, and evade humans, pick up the bodies and bones and all that sort of thing. So I completely get where guys like him are coming from, I used to be one of those guys.......until I was told of the experiences of my friends. Now I consider myself open to the possibility. The down side is that now that I'm open and willing to look a bit more my situation is not the same and I can't get out and look as I once did, which sucks and swallows but such is life.


#18    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,806 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Excellent replies, Everyone, btw!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:


#19    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 08 February 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

*snip*

An encounter would be an extremely personal and traumatic experience, I wouldn't doubt. (whether an actual bf encounter or not) And sure it would be tough to share something you might even be embarrassed about and then have to defend yourself and listen to possible ridicule.
But this isn't different from ghosts or demons or etc., is it?

Or,  maybe these personal experiences are different?

And also why would one not expect skeptical inquiry of all levels and types?

Iwould guess some who have experiences may even be harder on themselves than some skeptics or pretty close. And argue with themselves trying to wrap their own heads around what happened.

Strangely, people seem to be more accepting of ghostly encounters and paranormal happenings, I suspect because we've all experiences some level of paranormal activity on some level. Once you experience something like it then it's a little easier to accept another experience like it from someone else. I myself have experienced three things that I can only chalk up to paranormal experiences, however I've never seen a ghost. So consequentially, it's easier for me to be more open to that sort of experience. You might have a gift or ability to see these sorts of things and that is a commonly held belief in people. However, Bigfoot? I have hiked in most states in North America and never encountered one, never found any footprints or anything, so for many years I'd just blow off such things as fakes, liars or people who couldn't tell the difference between regular creatures. After my being told about the experiences of my two friends then I took on a more open mindset. That and my own encounter with that nasty odor I'll never forget.

But that's really the difference between the two, while most all of us have had some paranormal experience be it to a greater or lesser degree and where or not we want to believe we did is immaterial, we've had them, but not everyone has seen a Bigfoot and there is nothing that's supposed to be paranormal about them.......well, except they have ESP, can shift inter-dimensionally, are in league with ET's and are highly organized with body recovery teams.

Edited by keninsc, 08 February 2013 - 12:19 AM.


#20    sam12six

sam12six

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 08 February 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Keep in mind QC, we "discover" new creatures almost every day. They aren't new, they've been around for thousands of years, but we've only just gotten around to looking for them and finding them. In 2011 they was a new man-sized chimp discovered in.....Central America? I can't recall where it was exactly now and I'm too lazy to look it up, so feel free to Google for it.

I have to agree with Sam12six in that something as large as a Bigfoot is supposed to be shouldn't be in the realm of the "undiscovered" as yet. Especially when you considered that they have to have a large enough breeding population in order to maintain themselves, find food, and evade humans, pick up the bodies and bones and all that sort of thing. So I completely get where guys like him are coming from, I used to be one of those guys.......until I was told of the experiences of my friends. Now I consider myself open to the possibility. The down side is that now that I'm open and willing to look a bit more my situation is not the same and I can't get out and look as I once did, which sucks and swallows but such is life.

I was one of the people you felt hammered you when you first showed up because I mentioned that I felt that too many stories had Biff in the crosshairs and chose not to fire because it was too hunanlike and I've known guys who'd shoot a guy in a Biff suit even if they SAW him putting the suit on just so they could shoot a guy and get away with it. My post was more about why none of THESE guys ever spot Biff and I think you took it as an slam against your or your friend's honesty.

Anyway, my thing with Biff isn't that it's a large animal and we should have scientifically classified it by now. The problem's not WHAT it is, but WHERE it is - which by sightings is... everywhere. In sparsely popluated areas, I'm perfectly willing to accept the possibility that there's a large creature that has not yet been scientifically exhamined. It's just the idea that they're traipsing around neighborhoods going through people's garbage that I can't accept.

Unless someone's an advocate of the alien Biff with the predator invisibility belt or the dimension traveling demon Biff, the only answer to this is that the sightings of Biff in moderately populated areas are wrong. This is a problem from a believer standpoint because if all those are wrong, why not the rest? Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.


#21    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

View Postsam12six, on 08 February 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

I was one of the people you felt hammered you when you first showed up because I mentioned that I felt that too many stories had Biff in the crosshairs and chose not to fire because it was too hunanlike and I've known guys who'd shoot a guy in a Biff suit even if they SAW him putting the suit on just so they could shoot a guy and get away with it. My post was more about why none of THESE guys ever spot Biff and I think you took it as an slam against your or your friend's honesty.

Anyway, my thing with Biff isn't that it's a large animal and we should have scientifically classified it by now. The problem's not WHAT it is, but WHERE it is - which by sightings is... everywhere. In sparsely popluated areas, I'm perfectly willing to accept the possibility that there's a large creature that has not yet been scientifically exhamined. It's just the idea that they're traipsing around neighborhoods going through people's garbage that I can't accept.

Unless someone's an advocate of the alien Biff with the predator invisibility belt or the dimension traveling demon Biff, the only answer to this is that the sightings of Biff in moderately populated areas are wrong. This is a problem from a believer standpoint because if all those are wrong, why not the rest? Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.

Yeah, you were one of them. I think I said that the encounters would mean nothing to anyone, other than me because I knew and know both the guy personally and while that mean little to anyone else, it carries a great deal of weight with me. More over, one of the guys was a police officer in Virginia and if he told guys he saw a Bigfoot hell, he'd be laughed off the force and it could even be used against him in criminal prosecutions. I can see a defense attorney going after him in court now, "Oh and by the way Officer "X", Is it true you claimed to have seen an actual Bigfoot while out hunting a couple years ago?" Talk about getting hammered in open court? Then you have a prosecutor looking at a case and he has to consider the testimony of the officer involved. Suddenly, the case don't look so good.

Of course, then you have the crack pots who go out and poke at them with sticks shouting. "Git! Go on, Git!".


#22    sam12six

sam12six

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 08 February 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Of course, then you have the crack pots who go out and poke at them with sticks shouting. "Git! Go on, Git!".

That's one of my favorite interviews of all time!! I can never close my eyes and imagine the scene without feeling a smile creeping up on my face.


#23    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Yeah, me too. I really felt sorry for the police officer who was suckered into having to give an interview and was trying not to just say, "Poor old guy was just off his meds, he's better now."


#24    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 12,151 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I saw 3 of em

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#25    sam12six

sam12six

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'd find his story far more believable if he was in an in an emergency room explaining the stick shoved up his butt...


#26    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

View Postsam12six, on 08 February 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'd find his story far more believable if he was in an in an emergency room explaining the stick shoved up his butt...

Oh God, that would have been all over every tabloid at the checkout in every store in the country. "I was sodomized by Bigfoot" ......And we have the hospital records to prove it!

See, it's **** like that, that gives people who have seen something, they weren't drunk, high, or crazy at the time, not to come forward because of all the Bigfoot encounters I read and heard about that one stands out in my mind.....and yours as well it seems. As a result, we sort of see them in the light of the crazy old guy with the stick......employing the time honored scientific method of poking to ensure his validity. No scientist in his right mind would dispute his claim.


#27    sam12six

sam12six

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 08 February 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

See, it's **** like that, that gives people who have seen something, they weren't drunk, high, or crazy at the time, not to come forward because of all the Bigfoot encounters I read and heard about that one stands out in my mind.....and yours as well it seems. As a result, we sort of see them in the light of the crazy old guy with the stick......employing the time honored scientific method of poking to ensure his validity. No scientist in his right mind would dispute his claim.

Yeah, but set aside the testimony of your friends and don't pretty much all the public accounts of people who got a good look at Biff stink of crazy? Maybe it's selective memory, but there seem to be mostly 3 types of Biff encounter that are made public: I heard/smelled something that I assume was a Biff, Something dashed across the road as I was driving and I think it was a Biff, and There's a family of Biffs that knock on my door and borrows sugar.

Most of the actual "I'm positive it was a Biff because I saw it clearly and up close" accounts do seem to originate with the nutbags.

I've never and will never say it's impossible. I just think the odds of a Shaq-and-a-half sized creature living right beside us for the last 300 years without our having ever shot or run over one is so against the odds that it might as well be impossible. The thing true believers don't like to take into account is that the human mind can do crazy things. People can watch a wedding video 10 years later and be shocked that the bridesmaids were wearing blue dresses when they remember clearly that they were wearing yellow dresses. A therapist can convince someone's mind to create the clear memory of someone molesting them as a child even though it never happened. People have been "seeing" unexplained things forever. When it was accepted, it was demons or fairies. Nowadays, it's somewhat acceptable to see Biff or the classic Gray alien.

Outside of the real nutcases, I wouldn't call anyone a liar. I just think the odds that someone's mind was playing tricks on them (which we know happens) is more reasonable than that they saw this almost impossible creature (which we don't know exists).


#28    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,806 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostSakari, on 08 February 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I saw 3 of em

And I bet they took pictures of you...


#29    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,806 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

View Postsam12six, on 08 February 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.
*snip*

Me, more and more as well too. That is why I thought this thread might touch on it from skeptics and believers.


#30    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well, Goodness knows I've heard enough of those stories in my time, but I think the ones knocking on the door wanted garlic as I recall, could have been a different story.

I have to agree that had I heard these stories from people I didn't know or read them on the web I'd have blown them off myself. The clincher for me was I knew both the guys, personally and I knew something like this was just way outside of something they'd do and maintain it for years. In fact, when the old boy died in Georgia, several of us were having a wake for him after the funeral and we got to talking about him and how he'd suddenly given up hunting, trapping and all his woodsman lifestyle so suddenly as he did and apparently I was the only person he'd ever spoken to about it or told the story to, even the girl he lived with didn't know what had happened to change him so quickly. I figured it didn't matter at that point so I told them the story he told me. I think most of the people believed the story, but some wondered whether or not he'd told it because he just got burned out on hunting or some other reason, and I can understand that as well. Let's face it, it is sort of out there.

Now the other guy, is still alive and still a police officer and has never changed his story. That doesn't make it any more believable to others, you understand, but why keep telling a lie that could be detrimental to you as a person who is expected to be able to give sworn testimony, under oath, in a court of law? And oh yeah, you saw Bigfoot, right?

So while I'm not a "sho'nuff" believer, I am open to the possibility.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users