Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass of volcanic rocks floating off NZland

jugoso

The stretch of golf-ball-size pumice rocks was first spotted this week by a New Zealand air force plane about 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) northeast of Auckland. The rocks stretch for about 26,000 square kilometres (10,000 square miles).

A navy ship took scientists to the rocks on Thursday night. Naval Lt. Tim Oscar says the rocks appeared a brilliant white under a spotlight, like a giant ice shelf.

He says it's the "weirdest thing" he's seen in 18 years at sea.

Scientists say the rocks likely spewed up in an eruption by an underwater volcano. They don't believe the eruption is connected to the onshore ash eruption this week of another volcano, Mount Tongariro.

The Defence Force says the mass of rocks stretches 250 nautical miles by 30 nautical miles.

http://www.telegraph...ew-Zealand.html

Edited by jugoso

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Professor Buzzkill

• Coffey

• jugoso

• Arbenol

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a bit nervous at the moment being from Auckland, a known volcanic field, between three other volcanic fields surrounding us all erupting this week. :unsure2:

I'm getting a bit nervous at the moment being from Auckland, a known volcanic field, between three other volcanic fields surrounding us all erupting this week. :unsure2:

White Island and Tongariro are subduction zone volcanos, whilst geologists believe the Auckland field is due to a hotspot. They're probably not related in all likelihood.

Having said that, I'd love to see an eruption here. I should probably be careful what I wish for.

When I read the title there was a small part of me that actually thought of this:

floating_islands___realistic_by_gothica6664321-d331znc.jpg

LOL I'll keep dreaming.