Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The True Story of La Bete du Gevaudan

beast werewolf france gevaudan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Will Carothers

Will Carothers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

Last year I produced this documentary focusing on the beast of Gevaudan. (This was created for National History Day and I made it to state with this video) Let me know what you think...

(Please forgive the overdramatism)

And here is the video I produced this year, with which I placed 4th at nationals in Washington DC

(I know that its content does not fit into the context of the forum, but I hope you enjoy either way. I prefer this to my one from last year)

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

I liked the Shakespeare video. It's engaging, kept my interest. :tu:

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,375 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for "La Bete de Gevaudan". It's awesome imo that you produced that yourself. I always wondered who or what the beast was.

Posted Image

#4    Gevaudanneightbour

Gevaudanneightbour

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

Some rumors said it rested on the edge of windows to peep inside and some people had heard it swearing, I know. But these affirmations had been more probably invented to prove the beast was the devil in person, in the disguise of a  huge wolf. People didn't really think it could be a "garou". The beast had been dissecated and then stuffed after Jean Chastel sent the body to versailles , if I remember well.

The studies of its skeletton showed some diiferences from a wolf (shorter snout, larger jaws, teeth at different places than a wolf's ones,...) but we were closer from a dog than a beast of brayroad skelleton. Sciences actually admited it was probably a wolf-dog breed.

Your documentary is pretty cool, anyway.

#5    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,627 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Cave lion?

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Will, you should check out the Monster Talk podcast.  They did a couple of episodes last year on the BOG and wolf predation in general.

It was really fascinating.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostWill Carothers, on 28 June 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

Last year I produced this documentary focusing on the beast of Gevaudan. (This was created for National History Day and I made it to state with this video) Let me know what you think...

(Please forgive the overdramatism)

And here is the video I produced this year, with which I placed 4th at nationals in Washington DC

(I know that its content does not fit into the context of the forum, but I hope you enjoy either way. I prefer this to my one from last year)

I actually saw that show and they came to the decision that it was a trained dog that chastel was using and killed to make himself appear as a heroic figure.  I think they said it could have been a kind of hyena although it wasn't known how he came into possession of a hyena

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#8    CHRIS_UK

CHRIS_UK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• Humour is the key :D

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Slightly off topic, but i guess having a tamed Hyena isn't totally out of the question in certain terms...In this age anyways maybe not back then

http://www.google.co...-2.html;512;640

lol

#9    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Posted Imagethey can chew through bone to

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#10    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,375 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostCHRIS_UK, on 29 July 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Slightly off topic, but i guess having a tamed Hyena isn't totally out of the question in certain terms...In this age anyways maybe not back then

http://www.google.co...-2.html;512;640

lol
Thanks, but I'll pass (on having a hyena for a pet). Those that do, more power to them...I hope it works out for them. Seriously.

Posted Image

#11    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostGummug, on 29 July 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Thanks, but I'll pass (on having a hyena for a pet). Those that do, more power to them...I hope it works out for them. Seriously.
It begs the question can you really domesticate a wild animal or just tame them

#12    DystOpt

DystOpt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• I write because kidnapping people to make them act out your cool and unique fantasies is frowned upon in most states.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 July 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

It begs the question can you really domesticate a wild animal or just tame them

To me, and I could be way off, domestication is the work of generations. You breed an animal to have certain traits that make it an ideal pet or stock animal. Taming is taking a wild creature and through punishment and rewards making that animal more tolerant of humans, but it does not have those inbred traits of say a dog which are the product of generations of selective breeding.

Could you tame a wolf? Yes. Could you tame a wild sheep? Yes. Are they domesticated like a dog or farm sheep? No.

Also tagged with beast, werewolf, france, gevaudan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users