Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's core far hotter than thought

Still Waters

New measurements suggest the Earth's inner core is far hotter than prior experiments suggested, putting it at 6,000C - as hot as the Sun's surface.

The solid iron core is actually crystalline, surrounded by liquid.

But the temperature at which that crystal can form had been a subject of long-running debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22297915

tumblr_mjh9vpK6vp1s5yrmfo1_1280.jpg

(I could post a bigger one but this gets the point across)

I don't quite see the point of your cartoon. It was an interesting and maybe someday useful new insight worthy of note.

Never mind the core - I just wish it had been a bit warmer round my ears while I was working outside this morning! Spring? Yeah, right!

• Like 2

Never mind the core - I just wish it had been a bit warmer round my ears while I was working outside this morning! Spring? Yeah, right!

But surely not a thousand degrees warmer?

Guess that high is still parked over Greenland because its not that warm here either.

I think I will invent some new shoes with heatproof soles for the future.

This could be very good news for the prospect of geothermal energy.

I wish you were right, but I really doubt it; the core is thousands of kilometers down there. Geothermal facilities hardly go one.

Once day, Frank... One day...

• Like 1

So many of those around this place think technology causes all our problems and can't solve anything. It is refreshing to hear such an optimistic view of technology, unlikely though.

I read this in an old book last night . Mis-information is one thing but re-cycled information ???

If only why could harness it's power. When you think of it the answer to all the worlds power needs are below our feet.

If only why could harness it's power. When you think of it the answer to all the worlds power needs are below our feet.

Unfortunately, waaaaay below.

Unfortunately, waaaaay below.

There are places around where that heat makes it to the surface. If we could harness that then we might have something.

• Like 1

There are places around where that heat makes it to the surface. If we could harness that then we might have something.

Yes, but hopefully not more Earthquakes.

As I see it,all stars & planets in the universe are all just larger & smaller masses of similar quantities of material.When matter coalesces,there are similar qualities but it depends on where the material coalesces.The stars are larger quantities of the faster moving particles of the surrounds that were drawn together when gravity produced a more rapidly imploding force,& the planets are the more denser moving particles that collected at a slower pace at a more distant area.The heat generated by a larger mass such as our suns & other stars etc generate higher quantities of heat due to friction,pressure & mass.The stars are examples of the pressure generated due to the higher amount of particles that were drawn together.In other words,with the earth being another planet that surrounds the sun,like many other planets,it cooled faster when the coming together of those particles began.It still has a high central temperature.Similar to the sun's regularly generated external temperature due to it's ever expanding mass & collectively continual pressure due to it's ever increasing gravitational forces,it still has similar properties.Such is the fact when every planet that distances itself further from the sun becomes a lighter material planet,liquid or gas,depending on where it was located at the time of it's formation & the molecular gravitational pull,due to the planetational & gravitational forces of it's molecules.

Edited by GirlfromOz

Yes of course; that's how Iceland heats most of its buildings and gets most of its electricity. It is a developing technology not expected to have a big impact but maybe.

I think it is interesting that this has PROVED standard science wrong. I think people don't realize how dogmatic mainstream science is.

• Like 1

I think it is interesting that this has PROVED standard science wrong. I think people don't realize how dogmatic mainstream science is.

Agreed. When a new theory is presented the mainstream is quick to debunk it but if the theory

has been proven, then mainstream jumps on the bandwagon.

• Like 1

I don't get where anything about all this proved standard science wrong. What "standard science" are you referring to? All it represents is an advance in our understanding. This is what science is.

Agreed. When a new theory is presented the mainstream is quick to debunk it but if the theory

has been proven, then mainstream jumps on the bandwagon.

Well, I just heard from a person today that the core is heating up, not that the temp was miscalculated. I don't always agree with the source on this theory, so I sit on fence on this issue.

But mainstream science is dogmatic and incurious these days.

I don't get where anything about all this proved standard science wrong. What "standard science" are you referring to? All it represents is an advance in our understanding. This is what science is.

Oh sorry, the article I read was headlined something like how science got it wrong on core temps.

You have a strange notion of what science does; numbers get changed all the time.

Of course I understand that you have an agenda and won't let any amount of common sense get in your way.