Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spreckel Mansion Death/Suicide

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#121    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostDuncansmom, on 02 February 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Here's the link -  It can stop on its on... Just go to replay if it does.  The thing I saw about his 911 call on WebSlueths was that at one point his says something like, "that f.. king kid"  Then it goes to the place that is cut out of the tape. I guess they have a transcript somewhere of the tape, I haven't found it ... but the transcript says, f....king kid, I don't believe this!  but none of WS could hear that nor can I

Thanks for posting that DM. Never heard it before. I clearly heard ****ing kid but I don't think that he's referring to Max. I think he's referring to Rebecca. I can say this much - their fire/EMS and police force need to get better co-ordinated. Address is vital, yes, but not as much as resuscitation.
All depends on how long she'd been hanging there. If she hadn't been dead for long, she'd still be warm. I'm assuming that's what the situation must have been. You wouldn't normally start CPR on a patient who's cold to the touch but you know, emotional response kicks in, try to save her.

#122    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,405 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Antilles,

I thought the same thing when he said "f...ing kid, he  might have meant Rebecca but it is bothersome that the transcription added the other words after he said it - then the cut out in the tape.

I also never thought about the 911 operator not being more focused on CPR rather than the address.  I totally agree with you.  That is odd.  I read somewhere along the way that with a hanging victim they estimate you only have   2-4 minutes to revive and 911 has him running out in front to get the address.  She also never just asked whose residence it was so she could look it up while he started CPR....

#123    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wow I miss alot not being on here all weekend. The crime was a true cover up. This case was closed real fast. I think the entire case needs to reopened and looked at again. But having money and some powerful friends that will never happen.

#124    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hold on a second. 911 would have had address. This case has more holes than a peice of swiss cheese..

#125    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,405 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 04 February 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Hold on a second. 911 would have had address. This case has more holes than a peice of swiss cheese..

I'm not sure that 911 would have had the address.  Maybe if Adam called from a line that was in the house, they would have had it.  However, if Adam called from his own cell phone, I don't think they would.  Records for that phone would show Adam's address.

What I would like to find also is so type of evidence of who could have tied those knots.  Since Adam ended up working on a tug boat in Memphis, is that where the Shacknai's were originaly from?  Were Jonah and Adam raised around a river.  The only history I could find was Jonah's colleges, both of which were in New York.  But evidently there was some nautical type rope in the house.

#126    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostDuncansmom, on 04 February 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'm not sure that 911 would have had the address.  Maybe if Adam called from a line that was in the house, they would have had it.  However, if Adam called from his own cell phone, I don't think they would.  Records for that phone would show Adam's address.

What I would like to find also is so type of evidence of who could have tied those knots.  Since Adam ended up working on a tug boat in Memphis, is that where the Shacknai's were originaly from?  Were Jonah and Adam raised around a river.  The only history I could find was Jonah's colleges, both of which were in New York.  But evidently there was some nautical type rope in the house.
Sprekels is very close to the sea so I'm guessing lots of sea-based activity(didn't need my Miss Marple hat on for that deduction! :lol: ), in fact, in the autopsy it's mentioned that the rope has a plastic tube in it like the part of a tow rope a water-skier would hold, SO ....... I'm wondering if someone in the area is missing a long length of red/orange rope? The only trouble is, if it was stolen, the person it was stolen from may never be aware of the fact. I wonder if the investigators asked people in the area to check?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#127    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,405 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Sprekels is very close to the sea so I'm guessing lots of sea-based activity(didn't need my Miss Marple hat on for that deduction! :lol: ), in fact, in the autopsy it's mentioned that the rope has a plastic tube in it like the part of a tow rope a water-skier would hold, SO ....... I'm wondering if someone in the area is missing a long length of red/orange rope? The only trouble is, if it was stolen, the person it was stolen from may never be aware of the fact. I wonder if the investigators asked people in the area to check?
Yes, did they water ski there?  I have wondered that myself but I was thinking, in view of the brother's profession, did Jonah have an earlier connection to the water that they knots came to him without too much thought ?  Tug boats just don't seem to be a vocation that people just come up with... or maybe that just brings even more suspicion to the fact that he might have gotten him brother's help as you suggested earlier...

#128    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I know that we always carried 2 or 3 sets of ski ropes. Someone murder this girl and no one is opening up about it .

#129    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 04 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I know that we always carried 2 or 3 sets of ski ropes. Someone murder this girl and no one is opening up about it .
Are you saying you keep 2 or 3 sets in your car? I can imagine people having spares, plus not throwing away ones that have broken because the rope that's left could be used for something else less taxing. I imagine most people who have boats/do water sports couldn't say exactly what they currently own in the way of ropes.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#130    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Carried them in the boat.

#131    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,405 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 04 February 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Carried them in the boat.

That makes perfect sense to me... in the boat for the water.  Do we know if Jonah had a boat?  I'm wondering if he did because their winter residence was Arizona.  I know there are places to ski there... but... I would like to know that was an interest of his.  If not where did that type of rope come from?  Had to be in the garage..Oh, good Lord, how many garages did they have ???? Police probably said she also walked nude  about the grounds and on out to the garage to get the nautical rope....Ah, no, not logical to me.

Also, Knight, you said you are familiar with this type of rope. If you water ski?  How about those knots?  Do you see them in that sport as being common place?

#132    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Nude walking around outside in daylight. Strange unless she was a nudist. Using a course nylon rope to hang your self not smart. The force of the drop with a ski could have cut her head off. The knots were just standard knots.That a boy scout knowing. This case was closed to fast. +

#133    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

Ann Rule devoted 117 pages of her newest book to this case. Did I learn anything new? No, but I learned more than I knew about Ann Rule.

Rule is buddies with one of the attorney's who's representing Zahau's family, and there's an obvious slant with her reporting.
I've read several of Rule's books in the long-ago past, and I'm very disappointed, although I was never as informed before of the facts/details of a case having been privy to case documents.
Among other things, she actually sourced a poster on a message board for some of her information!

Speculation has surrounded Adam Shacknai. He was the only other person known to have been at the mansion at the time of Zahau's death. He had come after being informed of his nephew's critical condition, and he roomed in the guest house, having arrived the previous evening on a flight from Tennessee.
Anyway, about his visit, Rule states that he "apparently" came to comfort Jonah (his brother). She actually questions his motive for visiting! I assume she's implying that he could have came to kill Zahau, which would have been within hours of him arriving!
About his cutting Zahau down from hanging, she said he was "lucky" to have found the right kitchen drawer for a knife. Well, since I question Rules sources of info., I don't know if he got the knife from a drawer, or how lucky it was he got it, but in my opinion she took every opportunity to encourage speculation of Adam Shacknai, which actually, was the one thing that came as no surprise to me, considering her association with those involved.

Apart from that, some of her rationale is downright flaky. (I'll have to go back and look for examples, and I will if anyone expresses interest.)

Edited by regi, 12 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#134    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostAntilles, on 03 February 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

I clearly heard ****ing kid but I don't think that he's referring to Max. I think he's referring to Rebecca.

At 1:20, I think what he said was "You're ....... kidding me".

#135    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

It appears it was correct to have questioned Rule's sources she used in her latest book. (Specifically, Rule had questioned Adam Shacknai's ability to quickly locate a knife in a kitchen he wouldn't have been familiar with.)

Adam Shacknai's polygraph was administered some 11-12 hours after what had to have been an extremely traumatic situation; to first be confronted with, and then have to contend with. (I mean, think about it. The man was out early...thinking he'd see if Zahau wanted to go out for breakfast, and he comes upon her hanging naked from the balcony! He's didn't know the address, and the 9-1-1 operator is pressuring him for an address, but surely, it's instinctual to cut her down immediately because time is of the essence!)
Anyway...the results of the poly were inconclusive, but afterward, the examiner stated that he believed Shacknai had been truthful.
During the polygraph session, Shacknai reported that he got the knife he used to cut Zahau down with from a butcher block, not a kitchen drawer as Rule states in her book.

http://www.cbs8.com/...f-adam-shacknai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users