Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Double bladed axe.


  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostHunterII, on 14 August 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

I'm thinking Norse

OK, thanks Hunterll. If you are into these kind of things, please post what you think it all symbolizes if you have some kind of source you can consult.

And why do you think it is Norse and not Anglo-Saxon?


#17    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostHunterII, on 14 August 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

Dragon headed horse is a common Chinese motif.

I found a couple of better photos here:

http://www.darkknigh...battle-axe.aspx

And I enlarged these photos:

Attached File  Battle_axe1.gif   142.08K   11 downloads


#18    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Here is the other side (I couldn't attach both photos in one post):

Attached File  Battle_axe2.gif   154.38K   9 downloads

It seems you were right after all, bwahaha !!

But mine wasn't made in China (can't find "Made in China" anywhere on the blade).

OK, but I am still interested in the symbology, assuming it has not all been made up...


#19    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

    Spartan Forever!!!!

  • Member
  • 3,733 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Abu Dhabi, UAE

  • Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

So...Abe...Do you always buy stuff like these on the whim.??
Is your house littered with stuff like these?

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#20    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

So...Abe...Do you always buy stuff like these on the whim.??
Is your house littered with stuff like these?

Not always, but sometimes I did, yes. And yes again, my house looks like a second-hand shop, a pawn shop, or what's the name? It's a mess.

I also had a saber once (and an authentic one),  from Pakistan ( I once demonstrated to a friend it was a real saber: I took the thing and stabbed it right through a door; you can still see the hole).. But I lend the saber to an Israeli friend of mine who was a photographer. I guess the Palestinians took the sword from him when he returned to Tel Aviv (or Afula, a village north of Tel Aviv, where he was born), and used it on him. I never again heard a single word from him.

And on that same flee market I bought a little black figurine that looked exactly like a chess piece. It was a small raven/crow/rook and on the bottom of the 'pedestal' the rook/raven was perched on there were words written on it, but I still have no idea what it meant or what language it is.

The reason I think it is maybe a chess piece is because of the way it looks; some creative mind may have created a real rook (a corvid) because that is what the castle/tower in the chess game is called.

++++++++

EDIT:

I scanned it just now:

Posted Image

It's about 2 inches high.


++++

That is weird: I tried to attach the scan, but the editor said "there is no file to attach, so I uploaded the scan to my Photobucket account.

And then I see the attachment showed up anyway, lol.

But I paid 25 guilders for the thing back then. That's 12 euros now.

Btw, I tried to make a scan of the underside (with those words inscribed on it), but that failed.

.

Attached Files


Edited by Abramelin, 15 August 2012 - 02:37 AM.


#21    jules99

jules99

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined:07 Oct 2009

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 15 August 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:


But I paid 25 guilders for the thing back then. That's 12 euros now.

Btw, I tried to make a scan of the underside (with those words inscribed on it), but that failed.

.
Hi Abe;
Thats interesting; do you know what material its made from, glass, metal, ceramic? and is the corvid separate from or part of the base it sits on?
Cheers...just curious


#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Postjules99, on 15 August 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Hi Abe;
Thats interesting; do you know what material its made from, glass, metal, ceramic? and is the corvid separate from or part of the base it sits on?
Cheers...just curious

It's made of wood.

And the rook is connected to the 'pedestal', or what should I call that thing it is perched on? It looks like it is made from one single piece of wood, and the 'crow' part is blackened. But now you make me doubt....

It is the same size as a regular chess piece.

LOL, I even used it as 'King' when I played chess with a Serbian friend of mine.

He thought I was nuts, but I won the game anyway, hah.


#23    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:51 AM

http://en.m.wikipedi...wiki/Triskelion

Celtic triskelion is in there

Miss me?

#24    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

And just because there are modern replicas of it,doesn't mean its not from an ancient original design . That was done all the time,and then mass marketed

Miss me?

#25    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 15 August 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:



Not always, but sometimes I did, yes. And yes again, my house looks like a second-hand shop, a pawn shop, or what's the name? It's a mess.

I also had a saber once (and an authentic one),  from Pakistan ( I once demonstrated to a friend it was a real saber: I took the thing and stabbed it right through a door; you can still see the hole).. But I lend the saber to an Israeli friend of mine who was a photographer. I guess the Palestinians took the sword from him when he returned to Tel Aviv (or Afula, a village north of Tel Aviv, where he was born), and used it on him. I never again heard a single word from him.

And on that same flee market I bought a little black figurine that looked exactly like a chess piece. It was a small raven/crow/rook and on the bottom of the 'pedestal' the rook/raven was perched on there were words written on it, but I still have no idea what it meant or what language it is.

The reason I think it is maybe a chess piece is because of the way it looks; some creative mind may have created a real rook (a corvid) because that is what the castle/tower in the chess game is called.

++++++++

EDIT:

I scanned it just now:

Posted Image

It's about 2 inches high.


++++

That is weird: I tried to attach the scan, but the editor said "there is no file to attach, so I uploaded the scan to my Photobucket account.

And then I see the attachment showed up anyway, lol.

But I paid 25 guilders for the thing back then. That's 12 euros now.

Btw, I tried to make a scan of the underside (with those words inscribed on it), but that failed.

.

:)
Ahhh,here I am telling one of the biggest skeptics on here. When items won't photograph well,or always come out blurry,and or won't scan load et ,it usually has *something* attached to it,that isn't so agreeable about it all .
One of my cats won't photograph . All his shots look like something blurs his face . Hundreds of shot. Camera works on everyone else.
Multiple cameras,won't work on him . I have a few pieces of jewelry like that too .
heh ..

Miss me?

#26    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

    Spartan Forever!!!!

  • Member
  • 3,733 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Abu Dhabi, UAE

  • Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Abe. Almost all the modern mobile phones have got cameras in them. try getting a good one. you can ever upload the pics  you shoot direct to web if you have net connection to your mobile.



Edited by The_Spartan, 15 August 2012 - 04:32 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#27    jules99

jules99

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined:07 Oct 2009

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 15 August 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

It's made of wood.

And the rook is connected to the 'pedestal', or what should I call that thing it is perched on? It looks like it is made from one single piece of wood, and the 'crow' part is blackened. But now you make me doubt....

It is the same size as a regular chess piece.

LOL, I even used it as 'King' when I played chess with a Serbian friend of mine.

He thought I was nuts, but I won the game anyway, hah.
Hi Abe;
It would be unusual to see just the 1 chess piece for sale..The piece could be a black forest carving;

http://www.antiquesn...80372648346.jpg

I dont know.....from what I can see it looks good.
Ive got a collecting bug also.....baaad... I found what I think is a small naive (jade?) carving of a seal/walrus, I doubt its anything but for all I know it could be a couple of thousand years old............or not :lol:  I have to keep clear of markets, thrift/opportunity shops.


#28    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 15 August 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

:)
Ahhh,here I am telling one of the biggest skeptics on here. When items won't photograph well,or always come out blurry,and or won't scan load et ,it usually has *something* attached to it,that isn't so agreeable about it all .
One of my cats won't photograph . All his shots look like something blurs his face . Hundreds of shot. Camera works on everyone else.
Multiple cameras,won't work on him . I have a few pieces of jewelry like that too .
heh ..

Wait a sec: this is not a photo, this is a scan. I don't have a camera, so I made scan of the rook, same as i did with the axe.

That's why it looks out of focus.

+++++

EDIT:

Heh, I think I know why you came up with that:

"That is weird: I tried to attach the scan, but the editor said "there is no file to attach, so I uploaded the scan to my Photobucket account.

And then I see the attachment showed up anyway, lol."



+++++++

EDIT:

"One of the biggest skeptics on here"

Maybe I am, but pay a visit to the "Psychic Readings" forum, a thread about "Past life readings".

The guy who 'read me' is kind of scary...

.
.

Edited by Abramelin, 15 August 2012 - 10:52 AM.


#29    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 15 August 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

http://en.m.wikipedi...wiki/Triskelion

Celtic triskelion is in there

I know what a triskele is ( sometimes I wear it on my neck), but what does it have to do with the rook?


#30    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,109 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postjules99, on 15 August 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Hi Abe;
It would be unusual to see just the 1 chess piece for sale..The piece could be a black forest carving;

http://www.antiquesn...80372648346.jpg

I dont know.....from what I can see it looks good.
Ive got a collecting bug also.....baaad... I found what I think is a small naive (jade?) carving of a seal/walrus, I doubt its anything but for all I know it could be a couple of thousand years old............or not :lol:  I have to keep clear of markets, thrift/opportunity shops.

A Black Forest carving. Now that's something I can use to find out where the thing came from, and what is maybe written on the bottom. It's just one word, and it is written (carved) in zig-zag style.

OK, it looks like a chess piece, it has to same height (although I know there are chess pieces of other sizes). And maybe it is sold apart of the other pieces because the other pieces were regular chess pieces, and not interesting?

Maybe the white King was a white dove?? lol.

Btw: i am now sure the thing is made of one piece of wood (and not a figurine glued to a pedestal) because, as you can see on the scans, the very tip of the beak shows brown as the 'pedestal' because the paint wore off.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users