Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Egypt's President Morsi Is No Longer In Power

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,421 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

NPR said:

A huge celebration has begun in Egypt's Tahrir Square, after military chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi says that Mohammed Morsi is out as president and the country's constitution has been suspended. Egypt's chief justice will hold power during the transitional period and set a date for early presidential elections.

Mass protests that have gone on since Sunday prompted Egypt's military to replace Morsi, the country's democratically elected leader. Morsi had remained defiant, insisting he would not resign.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,845 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Strangely quiet from the White House.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 03 July 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Strangely quiet from the White House.
According to Sky News, they gave tonnes of money to the military

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,845 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 03 July 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

they sure did, but that was when they were a Staunch ally against Assad and other sources of Evil. They probably hoped to build up Egypt as another bastion against Evil like those other beacons of human rights, S. Arabia.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,553 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

An argument could be made that it's democracy in action - the military didn't act until the people were roundly ignored.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,800 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 04 July 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

An argument could be made that it's democracy in action - the military didn't act until the people were roundly ignored.
Of course the military is working to an extent out of self interest but I truly get the impression that they do not want to be bothered with having to GOVERN the nation - only defend it.  I respect them for that.  It remains to be seen if the MB will go quietly or if they will bring the country into further crisis.  I hope the civil war can be averted.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,058 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

View Postand then, on 04 July 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

Of course the military is working to an extent out of self interest but I truly get the impression that they do not want to be bothered with having to GOVERN the nation - only defend it.  I respect them for that.  It remains to be seen if the MB will go quietly or if they will bring the country into further crisis.  I hope the civil war can be averted.

Just an opinion, but I don't think the MB(Muslim Brotherhood) will go quietly...like you said "it remains to be seen..."

Unless something extraordinary happens with regards to a meeting of minds, I think there will be instead a meeting of swords, so-to-speak.

#8    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

This is a good thing,

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,638 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

So how hollow are Obama's threats going to be now that the military has actually acted on their threats?   Just how bad is "Egypt going to lose the United States"?   Is he going to be a leader of principle and stand up for himself and cut the Jimmy Carter aid that's still extorting billions upon billions of US taxpayer dollars every year to perpetuity and back so the war criminals on both sides of the sandbox get their behavior money?   Of course not.  Once Obama picks his flattened credibility made out of false threats up off the carpet after getting owned this badly by the latest popular revolt, he's going to get some unseen helpers to make some private phone calls to Egypt ask who he's cutting the checks to.    It's Israel for God's sake.   Every Israeli needs a thousand dollars every year from the US taxpayer.  This isn't some unimportant thing like Rwanda, or genocide, or something.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#10    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,483 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Good. That ahole was just caught hot mic'd on live tv directly calling US his enemy. He's a mad Islamist and I'm glad we won't be seeing his smug terrorist face anymore.

Posted Image

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,553 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostF3SS, on 04 July 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

Good. That ahole was just caught hot mic'd on live tv directly calling US his enemy. He's a mad Islamist and I'm glad we won't be seeing his smug terrorist face anymore.
well we know what you think of Obama, but what about Morsi? :P

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Not sure a military coups is the answer but then again, Islamic fundamentalists aren't either.  If there is a nation in the Middle East and North Africa who could lead their nation and people to a secular society model, Egypt is it.  But the situation at the moment is quite dangerous and uncertain and could swing in any direction.  I wouldn't be counting the MB down and out yet.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Looks like this time a military coup was the lesser of two evils.  We won't know for sure though for awhile.

#14    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 03 July 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

...that was to the military under Morsi control.
The White House has consistently sided with the Muslim Brothers here.

They certainly did not intend for the Islamists to be overthrown. If you believe that, you are fooling yourself.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

I don't know that Morsi was able to change the officer ranks much, and attempts to do so might be part of all this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users