Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Tenessee "teachers to inform on gay students"

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,691 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Though I'm sure, in Texas, you had to dance an arms length apart. :)

#17    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 31 January 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Though I'm sure, in Texas, you had to dance an arms length apart. :)

Like that'll stop any bow chikka wow wow.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#18    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Ok......so? Let's just say for giggles, I'm gay and I'm in Tennessee and someone reports me......to whomever is supposed to have this sort of thing reported to them? What's this person going to do? Pray for me? Lay hands on me and drive out the evil demon of homosexuality? What is it that they want to do once they "target" some gay person or lesbian?

Being gay is simply a function of who you are......sort of like being right or left handed or having blue or brown eyes. Hell, in my little back water, po-dunk high school in rural South Carolina in the sixties and more specifically within my own class we had/have eight gay persons. Six male and two female. (please let's don't get all bogged down in correct terminology, Gay/lesbian). Out of a graduating class of one hundred thirty-seven. Granted, I was surprised at a couple of them, but that's really neither here nor there. Had anyone come out back then in that place, at that time, I can assure you someone might have gotten bashed. Hey, rednecks, we had them then and they're still around, ok?

So? What is to be gained by reporting them?

#19    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostEldorado, on 31 January 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

'tis a shame they don't report school bullies with as much gusto.
Ohh but "we all know that little Billy wouldn't bully anyone, he's so kind and gentle - you're slandering him by saying that and we'll sue!"
And words to that effect.

View Postkeninsc, on 31 January 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Ok......so? Let's just say for giggles, I'm gay and I'm in Tennessee and someone reports me......to whomever is supposed to have this sort of thing reported to them? What's this person going to do? Pray for me? Lay hands on me and drive out the evil demon of homosexuality?
The parents. And Lord only knows what they'll do. The reaction'll range from acceptance, verbal abuse, ostracision, physical abuse and murder.
Hurrah for the law then!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#20    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,837 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Surely being a teacher should be similar to being a Priest, in terms of confidentiality at least.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,796 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Some of these kids are suicidal because of the pressure of their situation.  And a suicidal person needs some understanding and support, not an additional pressure to worry over.  Being able to confide in a trusted teacher might be the last or only lifeline they have.  Sad.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Surely being a teacher should be similar to being a Priest, in terms of confidentiality at least.
no. A teacher has more then an obligation to an individual and to God, they must also hold society and the wider andgreater good. If I were told something in confidence that endangered someone - even the person telling me - I have a legal and moral obligation to do something about it, it could be "tell someone else" but somethib mut be done.

We are trsined to always say"I cannot promise secrecy, I may have to tell someone else, even Mister X, thr Principal"

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#23    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

You know, we want teacher to be armed to protect our children from the possible attack from an armed crazy, then we want them to deal with all our children's physical and emotional issues, keep the bullies away, not discipline them, and oh yeah, teach them how to read and write. Now we want them to determine who's gay and who isn't?

.....and report it to the parents. Then face a law suit for defamation of character against that child for having said they thought he was gay.

Good luck with that one Buddy.

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

maybe if they paid us more we could do all that.

Only I will remain.

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 31 January 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

http://thinkprogress...ssee/?mobile=nc
http://www.salon.com...their_students/
http://www.huffingto..._n_2582390.html

(can't find any conservative reports on this one in the sake of bias balance, sorry guys I looked).

So basically it would mean teachers would HAVE to inform parents if a student told them they were gay. By law. No matter what the teacher thinks would happen. This bothers me, as as a teacher I've been told things in confidence that if I were to tell the parents would result in trouble for the student (so I told my principal instead). It also means that whereas previously schools could be seen as a place where students could "be themselves" without fear of being beaten/ostracised/whatever by their family and to get councelling etc in order to make a mature decision about their sexuality. Now it means if they reach out for help, the family will find out not when the person in question is ready, but when the school has to tell them.

It's really sad, because sometimes a student might get it so bad at home and feels a teacher is the next best thing to reach out for support..Lots of troubled kids will turn to their teachers, and lots of teachers turn to help the students ... Everyone needs someone to talk to...... This is like saying, screw the support and help you seek, you are going to to face your parents wrath, that's if they hate gays...   Its a big screw you to the kids..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#26    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,117 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Ok. Who the hell elected these people?

If this this passes, whats next? Having people who ID them selves as LGBT wear badges?

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostThanato, on 31 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Ok. Who the hell elected these people?

If this this passes, whats next? Having people who ID them selves as LGBT wear badges?

~Thanato

I guess some would love that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postand then, on 31 January 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Some of these kids are suicidal because of the pressure of their situation.  And a suicidal person needs some understanding and support, not an additional pressure to worry over.  Being able to confide in a trusted teacher might be the last or only lifeline they have.  Sad.
Being a teenager is hard, mainly because we've had no practice at it.  Teenage suicides do happen.  Just thinking about parents of a gay child being intolerant and not loving just makes my blood boil.  That's about the worst sin I can imagine.

#29    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,764 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I guess this is just going to be another reason why there is such a bleak outlook for our future generations.

If only you could just click your fingers and make these ignorant, selfish bigots disappear...

#30    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 31 January 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

I guess this is just going to be another reason why there is such a bleak outlook for our future generations.

If only you could just click your fingers and make these ignorant, selfish bigots disappear...

A wish shared by about 1000 generations. At the end of the day they were always there to hamper human progress.

Edited by questionmark, 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users