Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A roundabout coming to a road near you?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

The rising popularity of cycling in the capital has led safety experts to reveal their plans to make the roads safer.

Ideas currently being mooted at Transport for London’s research centre include roundabouts which prioritise cyclists over motorists, traffic lights fixed at the height of cyclists, and sensors fitted to the so-called ‘Boris bikes’ to help avoid collision with HGVs.

Many of the ideas are borrowed from schemes in place in Europe, and the £2 million TfL project aims to remove accident trouble spots.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

agenda 21 ftw!

Spoiler

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 30 April 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#3    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

I think its about time cyclist started paying road tax and insurance. Most are nothing but a hazard to us paying motorist who only follow the rules of the road when it suits them . Ignoring red lights, flitting from road to pavement to jump red lights etc. Should have to pass a practical and theory test as well to be sure they are as safe as possible and not creating the problems on the roads like they do.
Hands up if you get nervous when passing one on a busy road.

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,231 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postjohnny blue eyes, on 30 April 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

I think its about time cyclist started paying road tax and insurance. Most are nothing but a hazard to us paying motorist who only follow the rules of the road when it suits them . Ignoring red lights, flitting from road to pavement to jump red lights etc. Should have to pass a practical and theory test as well to be sure they are as safe as possible and not creating the problems on the roads like they do.
Hands up if you get nervous when passing one on a busy road.

i agree they should be paying road tax and insurance. plus having to pass a practical and theory test.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Cylists and pedestrians do not contribute to pollution and they will not incur the higher costs of health problems as those who are vehicle-dependant.

If we are to tax cyclists for road maintenance and the like then we need to up the tax on motorists for the environmental and public health toll they incur on our society. Someone has to pay for those things in the end too...

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,430 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

If you use the road, you need to help pay for it's maintance. It's a common courtesy IMO. After all, they'd be complaining if there are potholes etc in the road.

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,291 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Most Cities in U.K now have bicycle lanes on every road in the inner city,but cyclists prefer to ride on the white broken line in the middle of the road,trying to imitate Bradley Wiggins.I used to cycle myself,but not like some of these professional Idiots,and a lot of them wear dark gear with no lights on their bikes at night.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

The cost of road maintenance is payed for mainly by other taxes.  

Vehicle Excise Duty (designed to nudge people towards low emission cars) on its own isn't enough to pay for the upkeep of the roads.  So cyclists do pay for said upkeep.

If you were to make cyclists pay VED, they'd end up paying 0, as bicycles don't created emissions.

I do believe in cyclists taking theoretical and practical tests though, I did when I was at primary school.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#9    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,429 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

And Jeremy clarkson for Prime Minister! He'd ban cycling and make petrol free and abolish speed limits and abolish taxes!!

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 02 May 2013 - 10:24 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,675 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 May 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

boy oh boy, mention of the word "cyclists" is one of those words that really sets off the Clarksonian response, isn't it. (It's like a pavlovian response, only it involves a lot of spluttering about 'poor old motorists' being 'hammered for tax', while simultaneously, and this is the part they never mention, causing misery through noise and pollution for everyone in towns that were never designed to have tens of thousands of Cars pounding through them all day.)

I don't have too much of a problem with cyclists out here in the Badlands, but I do get annoyed greatly by their 'off-road' cousins - The RAMBLERS!!!! Cagoul-clad numpties lacking the brains to be train-spotters who consider themselves above and beyond byelaws and the Countryside Code, and firmly believe that the whole of the landmass of Britain is theirs by right to trample over at will (including - in one memorable case - my back garden).

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,102 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Lord I hate traffic circles (what you call roundabouts)...  The worst I ever had to endure was in Stuttgart, Germany  three very large radius traffic circles that interlinked....  I never knew where I was....

#12    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Studies show that roundabout increase safety and save lives. So glad our policy makers do not ignore science.

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,995 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 02 May 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Studies show that roundabout increase safety and save lives. So glad our policy makers do not ignore science.
Agreed they are as annoying as all heck but they do give everyone a fair go.  I my part of suburbia just about every crossroads starts with a round about, when new estates get built and therefore congestion becomes a problem, they replace them with lights but all in all, they make good sense at "lesser travelled intersections".

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,675 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 02 May 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

And raises blood pressure ! Try Gravelly Hill Interchange, Birmingham UK - known locally as Spaghetti Junction....

Posted Image

Stick a cycle lane on that bad boy!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostWalter White, on 01 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

The cost of road maintenance is payed for mainly by other taxes.  

Vehicle Excise Duty (designed to nudge people towards low emission cars) on its own isn't enough to pay for the upkeep of the roads.  So cyclists do pay for said upkeep.

If you were to make cyclists pay VED, they'd end up paying £0, as bicycles don't created emissions.

I do believe in cyclists taking theoretical and practical tests though, I did when I was at primary school.

Thanks for pointing this out, its amazing how many are ignorant to this.

Its easy to knock cyclists, there are plenty of them who do not have a clue what they are doing (and the number is increasing), just as many motorists seem to be oblivious to the rules of the road too. A car driven recklessly is a lot more dangerous than a bicycle being ridden recklessly and education is the key to safety as mentioned.

Really, some of you sound like fat cat business tycoons oblivious to the world of the normal man while you cruise around in your luxurious oversized cars. I cycle and own two cars, I have the right to use the road regardless of my choice of transport.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users